Bitwig Studio Summer Sale $100 off

TheSteven

1 hour ago, Vernon Barnes said:

The update plan is on sale too. $129  from $169.

It looks like there are some serious updates due. Mind you I still find the workflows alien to me so I probably will skip and it will join Cubase 9.5 on the list of DAWs I didn't get on with.

Lots coming  up. Wondering if they'll make it to Beta 9 before actually moving to Version 5  proper;

Just curious, how does Bitwig's Clip Launcher (below) handle note events that are not strictly snapped to the time grid?  In particular, what will happen if you have, say, pick-up notes in your MIDI data or slightly early notes (or part of a note) in your audio data?  Will the Clip Launcher play them at their correct times, or will those events be truncated?

image.thumb.png.3eb868527125188435610092d3059bce.png

10 hours ago, locrian said:

Just curious, how does Bitwig's Clip Launcher (below) handle note events that are not strictly snapped to the time grid?  In particular, what will happen if you have, say, pick-up notes in your MIDI data or slightly early notes (or part of a note) in your audio data?  Will the Clip Launcher play them at their correct times, or will those events be truncated?

image.thumb.png.3eb868527125188435610092d3059bce.png

They are truncated, but the whole phrases are still retained.  Example- You play a couple notes leading in to a five bar phrase.  If you want to put it into a four bar clip, you set the "window" that will be the four bars you want.  If you don't include the lead in, they don't play.  If notes are held beyond where you set the end of the clip, they are truncated (note off sent).  Your complete phrase is retained, however.  You can go back and adjust the "window" later, even making it more bars long to hold the whole recording.  Really no different than how it handles audio.

• Thanks 1

I have never understood the „clip“ way of working, unless we're talking live usage. Give me an arranged timeline or I get confused immediately. Also, I rarely ever copy paste anything because actually playing stuff makes a huge difference.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

They are truncated, but the whole phrases are still retained.  Example- You play a couple notes leading in to a five bar phrase.  If you want to put it into a four bar clip, you set the "window" that will be the four bars you want.  If you don't include the lead in, they don't play.  If notes are held beyond where you set the end of the clip, they are truncated (note off sent).  Your complete phrase is retained, however.  You can go back and adjust the "window" later, even making it more bars long to hold the whole recording.  Really no different than how it handles audio.

Thanks for replying.

As a follow-up, if I have pickup notes (before the bar) at all three places circled in red below, would they all play?  I'm asking b/c I'm not sure if there's just one "window" that spans the entire Scene length, or there are multiple smaller windows around each of the clips within the Scene.

image.thumb.png.c6eabfaba6979be91dafbbd58ee03b9d.png

6 minutes ago, locrian said:

Thanks for replying.

As a follow-up, if I have pickup notes (before the bar) at all three places circled in red below, would they all play?  I'm asking b/c I'm not sure if there's just one "window" that spans the entire Scene length, or there are multiple smaller windows around each of the clips within the Scene.

image.thumb.png.c6eabfaba6979be91dafbbd58ee03b9d.png

I am no expert on Bitwig. The way I use the clip launcher is to record directly into each clip, so I can't comment on playing a long phrase and cutting that into clips.  I use clips for repeated phrases, designed to loop, so the pick-up notes would be just before the end of the loop, if that makes sense.  If I want more of a free flowing unstructured piece I would just work linearly and not use the clips.

Bitwig does have some deep settings that I have never used, however, and it looks like it CAN do what you are asking, according to the manual, https://www.bitwig.com/userguide/latest/acquiring_and_working_with_launcher_clips/#launcher_clip_parameters  Scroll down to "Launch Q" and particularly "Q to Loop" about 2/3 down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

I am no expert on Bitwig. The way I use the clip launcher is to record directly into each clip, so I can't comment on playing a long phrase and cutting that into clips.  I use clips for repeated phrases, designed to loop, so the pick-up notes would be just before the end of the loop, if that makes sense.  If I want more of a free flowing unstructured piece I would just work linearly and not use the clips.

Thanks again, Brian.

I was thinking of picking-up Bitwig now that it's on sale to improve my song-creation workflow compared to what's possible in Cubase.  I tend to start by coming up with sections in no particular order at the beginning of the process and then placing them on the timeline later.  Although that's possible in Cubase, even with the Arranger functionality it's rather crude and requires lots of editing which stifles the creative process.

10 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

Bitwig does have some deep settings that I have never used, however, and it looks like it CAN do what you are asking, according to the manual, https://www.bitwig.com/userguide/latest/acquiring_and_working_with_launcher_clips/#launcher_clip_parameters  Scroll down to "Launch Q" and particularly "Q to Loop" about 2/3 down.

Yes, that does look promising.  I think I'll just try the Bitwig demo and see what it can do rather than buy it and be disappointed.  Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheSteven said:

Anyone know if the clock starts ticking on a license when you but it or is it like Cubase (i.e. when you register it)?

On registration. At least when you buy at resellers (kind of obviously).

• Thanks 1

Thanks @jngnz wasn't thinking that it was sold at 3rd party vendors. 🤪

There are currently some decent upgrade options to BitWig Studio if you have BitWig 8 track ($259) or 16 track ($219).
Unless BF is going to have better prices (doesn't look like it according to Music Software Deals) I'm considering picking up a license at PluginBoutique and just sitting on it until I have the time to fully explore it so that I don't burn through my free upgrade window.

Edited by TheSteven

5 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Unless BF is going to have better prices (doesn't look like it according to Music Software Deals) I'm considering picking up a license at PluginBoutique and just sitting on it until I have the time to fully explore it so that I don't burn through my free upgrade window.

There wasn’t a discount but they did bundle a synth at one point.

• Like 1

Thanks @Fleer for the code, very helpful.

I bought the BitWig 8 Track to Studio upgrade from Musician's Friend.
While I couldn't apply the 15% July 4th holiday sale discount I was able to use my points/credits to save an additional $34.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1