Presonus Studio One 6 Professional Upgrade from Professional/Producer (all versions)

cclarry

2 minutes ago, Milan said:

This is what I'm talking about, but Steiberg doesn't hide theirs in a PDF file on an obscure CDN domain. They're right in their website as shown here:

https://www.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/

And those are also the same for Wavelab, Dorico and other apps they have with multiple versions.

9 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

This is what I'm talking about, but Steiberg doesn't hide theirs in a PDF file on an obscure CDN domain. They're right in their website as shown here:

https://www.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/

And those are also the same for Wavelab, Dorico and other apps they have with multiple versions.

I went to Presonus S1 6 web page I got with a google search.

I clicked the "Buy" button and it brought me straight to the "Compare" page to help me decide which version I might need.

It wasn't buried or hid.

Upgrades for Studio One are typically every 2 years, with a free (.5) version in between, so on a per annum basis is relatively cheap (even compared to some plugins). For those that came on with the SONAR debacle (SOP3), there have been a lot of updates (the majority of which hit by SOP5). I never looked into Sphere though (another option), since I have plugins to cover what I need beyond what SOP provides. SOP6 wasn't as impressive as 5, but covers everything before it.

19 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

whereas s1 was a fresh codebase

This particular quote has more impact than some realize, since updating decades-old code to conform to time now is not an easy task. The folks who started SO came from other DAWs, so they knew how to do it, but didn't need to deal with the coding hurdles from modifying existing code. I have only been able to bury SOP from third-party plugins, but even now that is difficult since it isolates offenders better without crashing the app out.

As with everything, it is better to test run apps before getting excited about sales on things. If it fits your needs, then it is a good candidate to put on your radar. If you are not going to use it, it will probably fall off that radar on its own anyway.

• Like 1

Well I tried to see what upgrade path I have from S1 5.5.2 to S1 6....

Just under $400!!

Really?

They have got to be kidding.

Seems like I can get PreSonus Sphere with more "stuff" for $165.

These people (software devs/marketers) are pushing these subs like it's the last thing on earth!!

I got S1 demo in April 2010. Didn't buy into it till S1 2. Upgraded almost every version since (didn't upgrade to S1 4 DKW). Cakewalk is still my main DAW, so I get very little use out of S1.

I was gonna upgrade to 6 but thought $100 was still a bit much for me. 

Looks like they priced it right out of my want.

2 minutes ago, Grem said:

Just under $400!!

Wow, were you logged in? The "upgrade from any professional" is $149.95 everywhere... even places like GC/MF. JRR just has the bonus discount.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mettelus said:

Wow, were you logged in? The "upgrade from any professional" is $149.95 everywhere... even places like GC/MF. JRR just has the bonus discount.

Yes I was!! I just did a search for Presonus S1 on JRR and it didn't find anything?!!? I did not see any upgrade option for me on the PReSonus web page.

I was hoping for something like $80 on sale. : )

I am just a cheap Bas.... LOL!!!

I mean in all reality, $150 ain't bad... really it ain't. I just don't use it enough. Not because it isn't any good. I just gravitate to CW because I can do it faster there because I know it. 

Edited by Grem
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Grem said:

I just gravitate to CW because I can do it faster there because I know it. 

There is definitely a learning curve with everything new, that is for sure. SOP sat sort of idle for me for a long while until I forced myself to open it first when I sat down; some of the nuances in work flow are not obvious. I would suspect JRR will get more numbers for sale, but there are sales off and on anyway for SOP upgrades. The cheapest is typically before the next version hits.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grem said:

I went to Presonus S1 6 web page I got with a google search.

I clicked the "Buy" button and it brought me straight to the "Compare" page to help me decide which version I might need.

It wasn't buried or hid.

Now compare how complete the one on the page is versus the PDF you can only get by following some obscure link. And you don't get any access to that PDF if you want a more comprehensive comparison of features.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

you don't get any access to that PDF if you want a more comprehensive comparison of features

Ok.. I thought you was talking about the general comparison info.

My misunderstanding!

13 hours ago, Grem said:

S1 6 Pro Update is from any version of S1 Professional, while the upgrade edition is from Artist.

Direct from PreSonus: S1 6 Pro update is $149.95. Upgrade is $299.95, and the full version is $399.95. You can also apply for a crossgrade from another product, only available at PreSonus. https://shop.presonus.com/Studio-One-6-Crossgrade

Best Service has the S1 6 Pro update for $128 here: https://www.bestservice.com/en/studio_one_6_professional_update.html

Their upgrade is $257: https://www.bestservice.com/en/studio_one_6_professional_upgrade.html

1 hour ago, abacab said:

S1 6 Pro Update is from any version of S1 Professional, while the upgrade edition is from Artist.

Yeah I realize my mistake... again!!

I am saying "upgrade", but I just want to bring my S1 5.5.2 Professional "up to date"... so I want the Update and not the Upgrade.

Thanks everyone for helping me understand the difference!

[edit] I still want to wait till it gets down to around $80!!

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Grem said:

[edit] I still want to wait till it gets down to around $80!!

Same here! That's why I'm waiting... v5.5.2. still works fine! ;)

Like I could upgrade Kontakt 6 to 7 for $99, but that 50% off sale is surely around the corner. Stuff that would be nice to have, but not in a rush if I can save a few bucks...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

I don’t think Presonus is making 50% off sale anymore. I don’t recall the last time it’s been at 80$. I usually get them at release of a new version over 100$.

Yup.  Their sales are now 30% off ever since S1 5 (I remember waiting for 50% for BF then finding that it was only 30%).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1