Update: NI - Reaktor 6.5.0

Frank

Just curious, was this update made available to anyone still using the old version of Native Acces (version 1)?  I'm still using that one and don't see the version 6.50 Reaktor update.  The latest one for me is 6.4.3 and I'm wondering if v6.50 is only available via the newer versions of Native Access.

14 minutes ago, locrian said:

Just curious, was this update made available to anyone still using the old version of Native Acces (version 1)?  I'm still using that one and don't see the version 6.50 Reaktor update.  The latest one for me is 6.4.3 and I'm wondering if v6.50 is only available via the newer versions of Native Access.

I believe NA1 has fallen behind. It failed to show me the the recent Massive X update.

All was good after I upgraded to NA2. So it looks like time to make the move forward has arrived...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, abacab said:

I believe NA1 has fallen behind. It failed to show me the the recent Massive X update.

Thanks for confirming.

7 minutes ago, abacab said:

All was good after I upgraded to NA2. So it looks like time to make the move forward has arrived...

I actually had NA2 but uninstalled it because there were lots of problems.  I'll try again.  Cheers...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, locrian said:

I actually had NA2 but uninstalled it because there were lots of problems.  I'll try again.  Cheers...

NA2 is still a bit rough around the edges, but at least I can get my updates now! 😂

Visit the Native Instruments forum for related Native Access discussions by users, and feedback from NI staff. https://community.native-instruments.com/categories/native-access

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, abacab said:

NA2 is still a bit rough around the edges, but at least I can get my updates now! 😂

Visit the Native Instruments forum for related Native Access discussions by users, and feedback from NI staff. https://community.native-instruments.com/categories/native-access

I just installed NA2 and it definitely runs better than before!

I particularly like the numerous ways in which you can filter your products.

28 minutes ago, locrian said:

I just installed NA2 and it definitely runs better than before!

Actually, it seems I now have version 3.3.

Although it is an overall improvement from NA1, there are two annoying issues: 1) the CPU uasage is now 20% (it used to be ~3-5%); and 2) I just lost ~3GB of disk space.  I hope the former is due to some initial indexing of all my products and the latter is the result of temporary installation files (though CCleaner did not recover much of the lost space).  Hmm.

Edited by locrian

4 minutes ago, locrian said:

Actually, it seems I now have version 3.3.

That there seems to be a mystery to all. As far as I can gather, it is "officially" Native Access 2, v3.3.0. It seems that the devs went a bit crazy with the versioning... 🤣

6 minutes ago, locrian said:

Although it is an overall improvement from NA1, there are two issues: 1) the CPU uasage is now 20% (it used to be ~3-5%); and 2) I just lost ~3GB of disk space.  I hope the former is due to some initial indexing of all my products and the latter is the result of temporary installation files (though CCleaner did not recover much of the lost space).  Hmm.

Not sure why you are seeing higher CPU usage, but I may have an idea for the disk space.

Check your "Preferences > File Management > Content Location" if you usually install your content on another drive like I do. I had to switch mine back to my D drive after the upgrade.

Otherwise, pay a visit to the NI forum and add your voice. Better chance of finding someone with your issue over there, and it's the best way to contribute to product improvement... ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abacab said:

That there seems to be a mystery to all. As far as I can gather, it is "officially" Native Access 2, v3.3.0. It seems that the devs went a bit crazy with the versioning... 🤣

Not sure why you are seeing higher CPU usage, but I may have an idea for the disk space.

Check your "Preferences > File Management > Content Location" if you usually install your content on another drive like I do. I had to switch mine back to my D drive after the upgrade.

Thanks for the tip.  I also install all content (samples) to SSDs in a 5-bay array to preserve space on my system drive.  Surprisingly the switch from NA1 to NA2 retained all my preferences; except, of course, the (now two!) data sharing settings which default to "exploit user."  Equally surprising is that the 3GB loss of drive space was due solely to the installation of NA2 (I checked before updating any VIs/FXs).

4 hours ago, locrian said:

Equally surprising is that the 3GB loss of drive space was due solely to the installation of NA2 (I checked before updating any VIs/FXs).

That's surprising! I see Native Access 2 only using 375MB here.

I frequently see my C drive disk usage increase by several GBs after a new install (in excess of the expected actual files installed). I have discovered that Windows usually makes a system restore point when you run an installer, if you have System Restore protection enabled on your system drive. That can easily eat up at least several GBs. 🙄

You can see how much drive space System Restore is currently occupying by opening System Protection from Windows Settings. Alternatively you can confirm this by using a disk space analyzer like the excellent TreeSize Free run as Administrator, and looking at the System Volume Information folder. They are the large files in braces with long names in hex. One of the many mysteries of Windows!

You can delete the restore points if you don't need them by clicking on "Configure" in System Protection, which shows the space used, and then clicking on "Delete". I just scanned with TreeSize and they were using 3GB here, so I deleted all. Then created a manual restore point that only used 1.1 GB. They do begin to add up, even though you can set a max usage of 1% of the drive, but in my case that equals 4.64GB (on a 500GB M.2 SSD).

Bottom line is that I suspect Native Access is not using 3GB of drive space by itself.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, abacab said:

I frequently see my C drive disk usage increase by several GBs after a new install (in excess of the expected actual files installed). I have discovered that Windows usually makes a system restore point when you run an installer, if you have System Restore protection enabled on your system drive. That can easily eat up at least several GBs. 🙄

You can see how much drive space System Restore is currently occupying by opening System Protection from Windows Settings. Alternatively you can confirm this by using a disk space analyzer like the excellent TreeSize Free run as Administrator, and looking at the System Volume Information folder. They are the large files in braces with long names in hex. One of the many mysteries of Windows!

You can delete the restore points if you don't need them by clicking on "Configure" in System Protection, which shows the space used, and then clicking on "Delete". I just scanned with TreeSize and they were using 3GB here, so I deleted all. Then created a manual restore point that only used 1.1 GB. They do begin to add up, even though you can set a max usage of 1% of the drive, but in my case that equals 4.64GB (on a 500GB M.2 SSD).

Bottom line is that I suspect Native Access is not using 3GB of drive space by itself.

Excellent advice...thanks!

Like you I regularly check System Restore and delete restore points when I know I won't need to roll back to an earlier state.  I also use a disk space analyzer (SpaceSniffer) to see the breakdown of my system drive.  I wasn't aware of TreeSize Free, so thanks for mentioning it.

Nowadays we have to be quite vigilant in managing our system drives since updates have become so bloated.

• Great Idea 1

20 hours ago, abacab said:

This is also the reason why I think that a Windows installer for each little plugin is overkill! It is much overhead and many times there are things installed with it that you never use (Avid, ...). Why not just have a zip-file for simple plugins? IMHO it does not take more time for installation that way, if you have a clear organization.

• Like 1

Installed v3.3 because I was missing updates.
I now have the updates but gaaawd...
They must have it running in debug mode - I'm using a i7 with abundant resources and it runs sooo slowly.
No excuse for such crappy performance in a publicly released app.