Steinberg Introduces FREE HALion Sonic 7 VI

locrian

Download: https://www.steinberg.net/vst-instruments/halion/sonic/

Info: https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2023/02/21/halion-sonic-7/

HALion Sonic 7 is your new free player for sample libraries, synthesizers and hybrid instruments, created with HALion 7 by users, sound designers or professional companies.

Although HALion Sonic 7 comes without any sample content, you can find several free instruments created by Steinberg, Sonic Atoms and Cinematique Instruments (see below).

- HALion 7 Sonic is provided for free and only requires a Steinberg account to register it.
- Mac and Windows are supported, with HALion and Sonic being provided as VST3 and AAX with AU as an option for Mac users.
- Apple Silicon-compatible binaries are also available.

image.thumb.png.4dd2eca0b2c84dceb8539bfffdd39c68.png

image.thumb.png.5e45a7a7119f0f4bff882927fb16d9da.png

Edited by locrian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Just FYI, if you already have any content in Halion Sonic SE it will be added to Halion 7 Sonic when you install it. I had several Sonic SE 3 libraries that were bundled with Dorico 4 Elements that are now visible in Halion 7 Sonic. That included some decent General MIDI sounds usable in a 16-channel multitimbral setup, and other Sonic SE libraries.

Here's a list of the instruments available to purchase for Halion 7 at Steinberg. There are also a few freebies such as Guitar Harmonics, LoFi Piano, and Novel Piano. https://www.steinberg.net/vst-instruments/

So Halion Sonic is somewhat comparable to Kontakt Player, with the Steinberg full version being Halion 7.

Here's a shot Halion Sonic 7 with my Halion Sonic SE 3 libraries included:

Halion Sonic 7.PNG

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

I'm kind of interested in this, but I didn't care for it last time I tried it. The interface seemed tiny and the license registration was this needless circular maze (weird to have to jump through so many hoops for something they were "giving away") that ended with their virtual dongle running on my computer all the time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I'm kind of interested in this, but I didn't care for it last time I tried it. The interface seemed tiny and the license registration was this needless circular maze (weird to have to jump through so many hoops for something they were "giving away") that ended with their virtual dongle running on my computer all the time.

- The size of the interface does not seem to have changed; so if you thought it was tiny before, you'll still think that now.

- I can't comment on the registration hoop-jumping since I own Cubase and installing Halion Sonic 7 didn't require any additional registration.

- As for the virtual dongle, the only thing that runs all the time is a 29 kbyte driver (on Windows).

image.png.b193594b1845330b1c5c8b2130869a6e.png

• Thanks 1

Sonic SE had licensing problems and stopped working out of nowhere and refused to reregister.

Why these companies treat free products like they don't want you to even consider a paid product from them is beyond me.

Pass until they remove all registration requirements from the core player.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

34 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Pass until they remove all registration requirements from the core player.

Even then....there are so many loss-leader ROMplers. Kontakt Start, Sampletank CS, Sine Player, LABS, Soundpaint, Analog Lab V. Now that I consider it, nothing I've seen about HALion suggests it would do much for me but clutter my system further.

51 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

i did a few times. what is happening is i now keep getting "audio sounds is missing".  what happened was i installed the Halion 3 content. then removed it and re-installed Halion SE 3. I will try again.

Have you tried the Steinberg Library Manager (below)?  If you click on "Details" you can see where (and if) your libraries are installed.

image.png.31bb552fba5092ed359247ac10814756.png

By the way, the free Sonic player is not new.  It existed in version 6, and maybe before that.  

HALion is arguably set up better than Kontakt for making your own instruments.  You don't need to know how to code and it comes with knobs and sliders that can be dragged onto the interface and easily matched to parameters.  And it has features to automate the sampling process. 

The idea is that if you create a simple instrument in HALion and want to share it with a friend,  you give them the files and they download the free player and they're good to go.  I don't know if you can sell instruments, but maybe you can do that too.