PA Amek 250 EQ

cclarry

2 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

How different is this than the 200?

Almost identical per some YouTube reviews and analytics.  I never tested it myself though.  I was looking forward to checking it out (as I'm a fan of the 200) but passed after watching some content around the time of release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Zo you like 200 better?

I don’t hear much difference. If I had either I would be ok. 

It's the same algo , but Gain range is less on 250 in the lows and for the type of music i mkae it has an impact ...i usually do the trick top locut and boost quit a bit after and on the 200 it's superb while 250 not enougth .... the key on the thing i do is to have curves and curves depends on gain a lot of time so to have a certain curves at X freq i boost at y freq ... and compensate for it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just tried today the vertigo vse4 and this thing is surprisly good ... not surprised but the eq knowing vertigo pedigree ...but the concept is brilliant !!! 

What i saying is better get 3 or 4 great eq s and stop buying ones that are cheap but inferior imho ...( the amek are inferior to the bx digital witch has more features and a strong dynamic eq feature) ...

• Like 2

Zo - I listened to some of your mixing. I like the way you hear details in music as you work.  I like dynamic EQ too! I like Fabfilter Pro Q3 and the Kirchhoff-EQ for those types of curves. Speaking of curves - I guess I like Softube Chandler Limited Curve Bender too. 

• Like 2

i have and do use pro q as well as claro  ....what the vertigo does you will have to fire proq , saturn and tweak for minutes with a saturation that i don t really like in saturn compared to vertigo. ...

Also a dynamic eq is different (i love my sonnox for that , it is the best imho ) frol saturation type compression where you loses dynamic (dynamic eq keepingvdynamic) ...as always a question of scenario ...i will do a video on the vertigo if times allows because it deserves it , crazy that i didn t seen any video online ...in fact not so surprised , this thing is for pro s ... lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Zo - I listened to some of your mixing. I like the way you hear details in music as you work.  I like dynamic EQ too! I like Fabfilter Pro Q3 and the Kirchhoff-EQ for those types of curves. Speaking of curves - I guess I like Softube Chandler Limited Curve Bender too. 

The curve bender is ok , my problem is on the lows , when i will do the vertigo i will try it on a beat , i need that lowcut +resonnance that i can do in for exemple my manley passive that i can t really on the curve bender ... but the rest is superb 

no wonder it is considered a rock eq ...

• Like 1

I love vertigo plugins. I was using vertigo in a FX chain a few weeks ago. It was one of the best compression/saturation chains I have ever done. I used it on a bus. It is super bright chain and the bottoms is rolled off because of the Butch Vig vocal plug-in. It was Maag Eq, Butch Vig vocals, BlackBox, and Vertigo VSM3 (I love  vertigo 2 and 3)  Experiment with the settings. Send a tiny bit of a signal through this and it will jump way out front.  Too much and it will jump out of your screen/headphones lol. I wish they would release more plugins in plug-in alliance. Their price was much higher when they released them on their own site. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fleer said:

Just get FabFilter Pro-Q3 and be done ;)

Seems like there are a few people dropping it for Kirchhoff Eq

Personally I think the Pro Q3 layout is better, but for the super nerdy types I get the apeal that there are in fact some added features in there.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Seems like there are a few people dropping it for Kirchhoff Eq

Personally I think the Pro Q3 layout is better, but for the super nerdy types I get the apeal that there are in fact some added features in there.

Pro-Q4, come to mama!

• Like 2

I have the Kirchhoff EQ, but I have used Pro Q, 2, 3 for so long, I can't even talk myself into using it in a project, so I can play with it. I like the idea of a dynamic compressor in Q3, but if I needed more I would go to a MB compressor.

Kirchhoff Eq is just an EQ with built in MB compressor with some more band curves. I'm  not sure I would use them much anyway.

5 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

I have the Kirchhoff EQ, but I have used Pro Q, 2, 3 for so long, I can't even talk myself into using it in a project, so I can play with it. I like the idea of a dynamic compressor in Q3, but if I needed more I would go to a MB compressor.

Kirchhoff Eq is just an EQ with built in MB compressor with some more band curves. I'm  not sure I would use them much anyway.

Max there's a big gab bettween capacities and efficiencies , this what i've found with year ...

No Flex at all on what i 'm gonna say next  :

During the Alpha of Claro , i had visios with Sonnox for discussing the concept and what features can be introduced .

In this moment i explained that during the crucial creative phases where time / results ratio is the most impacting , i tend to use tools that answers this very constraint .

So you see me firing eq's like the pultec, api , neve ,ect ... not pro q or anything like that ...during those phases ...

THEN during post prod i start some time replacing those by more advanced stuff as the problem solving is on the table ...

That's why the concept of produce  view versus tweak/ mix view was introduced and its form was pultec style 

The beauty of this concept is that the tools "morphs" according to your need and instead of replacing it an losing precious time at the risk of losing the initial caracter (since you change eq)  , it stays untils the end : SIMPLY BRILLIANT ;)

And of course the sound gotta be solid witch is the case with sonnox !!

Now what i saw is people coming in beta having the same "pro q" type of thougth asking why the produce view ?  i'm not gonna be saracastic here or full of ego , pure fact here serioulsy it's the diff between pro and young cats .... pro that had to make good sounds and decisions on the fly on sessions (knowing that the instant truth is a waranty of art) and people sitting on a computer not really knowing what they're doing , on what phase they actually are and what this phase of production asks for ... and what has to be skipped during this phase ...

Sorry for the long post that i might erase once you read it to avoid giving infos that i might not be able to give ...

• Like 1