Soundpaint New Aleatoric String Orchestra ($50) Available Now!

cclarry

5 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Actually I'm interested in the answer too.

Yeah!
I'm confuse with the sites...
Sometimes the prices are different and the size too... and I don-t know where I have to go or what I have to buy... or what are the differences between one and other... and the sites don't talk about it...

37 minutes ago, Niky Serrano said:

In general... What is the difference between 8Dio and SoundPaint?

8Dio is focussed on more traditional sampled Kontakt instruments.

SoundPaint is its own engine. They have a special proprietary format that only opens in SoundPaint. If I understand correctly, SP is more geared towards sound design: you can open multiple instrument layers and blend them together. It also supposedly does away with sampling layers to give you a fully smooth velocity transition; from what I've understood in the sales videos it's some kind of cross between sampling and granular technology - lots of mini samples that put together a sound appropriate for the input velocity in real time. The SP engine is free and you can import you own samples. SP libraries seem to be much bigger than 8Dio libraries (in terms of disk space).

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Niky Serrano said:

Yeah!
I'm confuse with the sites...
Sometimes the prices are different and the size too... and I don-t know where I have to go or what I have to buy... or what are the differences between one and other... and the sites don't talk about it...

Back when , after my father had a heart attack I was staying with him & mom and didn't have access to my DAW - I ended up buying a number of 8dio libraries in part because of multiple people on this forum pushing sales like it was the new sliced bread and in part because it partially relieved my frustration.
Once I got home and tried using several of them I was, to say the least, a little disappointed.  Time intensive and awkward to use with less than stellar results - could have been all on me but not inclined to think so.   I wrote it up in the I should have known better than to buy multiple libraries without actually using at least one of them first column and have not touched them since.

So while I'm curious if Sound Paint makes their stuff usable I am reluctant to throw more money at that company.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Niky Serrano said:

In general... What is the difference between 8Dio and SoundPaint?

Kontakt - no license restricting

Soundbloat - 2 machine limit

Kontakt version is uncompressed meaning the wave files can be used as loops not sure about Soundpaint.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Steve Madden said:

I haven't seen anyone mention one of my favorite parts of Soundpaint, the abilty to morph parts together from different libraries.

I sort of tried:

3 hours ago, antler said:

If I understand correctly, SP is more geared towards sound design: you can open multiple instrument layers and blend them together.

2 hours ago, TheSteven said:

So while I'm curious if Sound Paint makes their stuff usable I am reluctant to throw more money at that company.

I've never owned any of the (old) Kontakt-based 8dio libraries, so I don't know how easy they are to use.  But I do own a few Soundpaint libraries and they definitely are very easy to use.  The GUI is well thought-out and most things are just a mouse click away.  Patch load times are very short.

The sound quality, however, is another story.  While certainly not bad, few of the patches are what I'd call inspiring.  Most sound kind of 'thin' to me.  This is not a general comment about all the libraries, but just for the few I own.  But based on my experience with them, I have no plans to buy more.  And this is especially true for the (free) 1928 Steinway which seems way out of tune and has several notes with jarring phasing issues.

There's been a lot of hype about Soundpaint -- and maybe one day it will progress to the point where its performance warrants the hype -- but I don't think it's there yet.

• Thanks 1