Wow. This is the first time I've heard that song, but it's really good. It has a structure that's slightly different from today's music, so it felt quite fresh to me.

It might just be my speakers, but I found the hat and tambourine strikes a tiny bit loud in the mix.

All good otherwise - great work!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, antler said:

Wow. This is the first time I've heard that song, but it's really good. It has a structure that's slightly different from today's music, so it felt quite fresh to me.

It might just be my speakers, but I found the hat and tambourine strikes a tiny bit loud in the mix.

All good otherwise - great work!

Hi Antler - I heard it on Spotify a little while ago and it just made me glad and sad at the same time - glad that it exists, sad that that innocent time has past.  Gave me goosebumps, had to cover it.

And you are absolutely right - I think the same thing.  I left it the way it was, but it would probably be better muting it a little.  I was surprised that the drummer was playing those hi-hat 16th, so I accentuated it at the time.  And I guess I made the tambourine loud because I'm not really a guitarist or a singer and thought it would pull attention away from those only two other things that were playing.  

Edited by steve@baselines.com
More detail
  • Like 1

Steve . . . another great sounding cover . . . guess this one was never a huge hit parade thing, I don't think I've ever heard it, but your version is excellent, including that 60'ish horn section, Burt Bacharachish and all.  Enjoyed it in my retro brain very much !

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 12:42 AM, noynekker said:

Steve . . . another great sounding cover . . . guess this one was never a huge hit parade thing, I don't think I've ever heard it, but your version is excellent, including that 60'ish horn section, Burt Bacharachish and all.  Enjoyed it in my retro brain very much !

Thank you!  I think this actually got up to number 15 way back there.  It was also commissioned for a Coppola movie.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

For those not familiar with the original, I've posted a link to the audio here.  As you can tell, stereo mixing was still relatively new in 1966.  The song has an interesting history you can read here.

Steve's arrangement is very close to the original arrangement.

Hi Jim - thanks for adding the detail!

Steve

Wow, there's a choice out of left field! But excellently done, especially the way the orchestra comes in.  I remember the original and I'm a great Spoonful fan, and have the book "Zal! - An Oral History Of Zalman Yanovsky" here ready to read. Have you got any other Spponful stuff to go?

• Like 1