Regarding the band...Tool.

RobertWS

19 hours ago, Zargg said:

I also like that they make all the music and vocals before handing it over to Danny Carey (the drummer).

Doing the drums last had never occurred to me for years until one day I decided to revisit the drums on a particular track that I thought was otherwise ok. Now at least in terms of the music I always do the drums last and can't imagine why I ever thought doing it differently was a good idea. Then I hand it over to myself to never finish or sometimes even start the vocals.😕

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, paulo said:

There's actually a plumber quite local to me called C.Hunt. The forever child in me has a little snigger every time I see his van. 

Good thing his first name isn't Mike!

I used to work with a guy named Dave Hoff who did indeed have an uncle named Jack.

Edited by craigb
  • Haha 2

On 8/27/2022 at 6:06 PM, Zargg said:

I also like that they make all the music and vocals before handing it over to Danny Carey (the drummer). A thing my oldest son told me, and (supposedly) quoted from Maynard James Keenan (vocals) and Adam Jones (geetar) is that: "We finish everything before giving it over to Danny to *#@%  it up".

So, yeah... I'm a Tool (fan).

It is pretty well documented that the tracks are basically created most of the time and then it is given to MJK to come up with lyrics.

Drums being "last" in the creative process wouldn't be accurate....in some cases it is pretty clear that the time signatures/drum grooves are the foundation of the idea in the first place.

The other piece to the quote is also that you can't acutally trust what the band says about a lot of stuff and they are notorious for taking that kind of approach when asked about the music or creative process.

I've been following their creative output for literally 30 years now.  In the early days interviews were super rare and the few they would give had quotes similar to the above.  

While I don't agree with a lot of the lyrical content itself, the band is musically briliant.  Ironically I find it feels quite emotional despite also tending to be unusually technical (especially for a band that lives in "drop-d" ).  

For those that don't "get it" try listening to orchestras and the like doing covers of their work.  I'd tend to assume radio stations are playing the new stuff (or perhpas something like Sober) it seems fairly unlikley that a Radio Station is going to play one of the tracks most fans are really actually going to be into.  Who knows though as I don't listen to the radio.  

3 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

It is pretty well documented that the tracks are basically created most of the time and then it is given to MJK to come up with lyrics.

Drums being "last" in the creative process wouldn't be accurate....in some cases it is pretty clear that the time signatures/drum grooves are the foundation of the idea in the first place.

The other piece to the quote is also that you can't acutally trust what the band says about a lot of stuff and they are notorious for taking that kind of approach when asked about the music or creative process.

I've been following their creative output for literally 30 years now.  In the early days interviews were super rare and the few they would give had quotes similar to the above.  

While I don't agree with a lot of the lyrical content itself, the band is musically briliant.  Ironically I find it feels quite emotional despite also tending to be unusually technical (especially for a band that lives in "drop-d" ).  

For those that don't "get it" try listening to orchestras and the like doing covers of their work.  I'd tend to assume radio stations are playing the new stuff (or perhpas something like Sober) it seems fairly unlikley that a Radio Station is going to play one of the tracks most fans are really actually going to be into.  Who knows though as I don't listen to the radio.  

So I was wrong it seems. Through my son, that'll hear about this ;) Never too old to learn at least (I hope).
All the best.

On 8/27/2022 at 9:13 PM, craigb said:

@Rain

Hey, being Canadian, have you ever listened to the best Prog band from there (that's not named Rush)?

I'm referring to the Mystery.  I listen to them much more than Rush and I like Rush!

Here's one example album (I love Snowhite!): 

I will have to check them out. I am not familiar with them at all.

• Like 1