Who has the best sales on an organ library (what should I wait for?)

Christian Jones

I've read about organs on VI control and what people like. Many say the IK Multimedia B3 is best, but it's $300. And some others by 

I have NI Vintage Organs of course. I'm just looking to grab a couple 3rd party for that classic rock sound from the Doors to Deep Purple.

If you could only have two organs to cover everything which ones would you get and which sales should I wait for? 

• Like 1

IK’s B3 is sweet, but I mean “group buy sweet” so don’t overpay. 
I also quite like Blue3 from GG Audio. That one also includes Spin for fx (rotary) purposes. 
Then there’s the one in Arturia’s V Collection, not bad at all. 
Together with my hardware (Kurz and Vox) I consider myself kinda settled. 

• Like 2

I like the B-3X as well.  It's a great emulation but uses a lot of CPU.  What some people do is use a less CPU intensive organ (like aforementioned Blue3 or VB3) with the IK's T-RackS Leslie for a solution that uses less CPU than B-3X but better sounding than the built-in rotary emulation.  Rotary in MixBox might work too.

Edited by ALC
  • Like 1

I consider 3 organs at the top of my 'the best' list: Blue3, VB3II and B3X. All very capable, can't go wrong with either of them. I own Blue3 and B3X. Blue3 is very slick and tiny with a mighty big sound, especially the leslie and overdrive, if you're looking for rock sound. Just download the trial and listen to some of the presets and you'll know. B3X in compare is a resource hog, well not to the extreme but it takes a lot more of disk space and cpu indeed and gives you a very natural sound in turn. Probably my biggest issue with B3X is that I can't freeze or bounce the audio properly, it has some bugs. VB3II, to my ears, is perfectly suited for jazz.

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

IK’s B3 is sweet, but I mean “group buy sweet” so don’t overpay. 

IK's Hammond B-3X is endorsed by Hammond. So yeah...wait for a sale! :)

With the B-3X you can set up separate MIDI channels for the two manuals and the bass pedals, i.e., 3 controllers.

As a close second, you can't really go wrong with the Arturia B-3 V. But then I'm not an organist, so I'm just judging by my ears. Probably a good option if you already own a V Collection, but not so much as a standalone purchase.

And I have had the Air DB-33 Tonewheel Organ for years, and it sounds good, but probably not as much as the others mentioned. And it's currently  $29 at Audio Deluxe. https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/air-db-33

https://soundbytesmag.net/db33byairmusic/

Edited by abacab

13 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Thanks all. Seems every time I decide I want a particular library the dev just got done having the biggest sale they've ever had. 

At least with the sales merry-go-round it's safe to say they will all generally be back on sale at some stage soon normally 🙂

A few of the main sales periods aren't far away now.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1