APD Deal - Cloudbounce Mini Lifetime

cclarry

15 hours ago, Fleer said:

Never used one of these AI mastering services. Anyone tried this already?

I haven't,  but when I researched this company last year, I found that every top manager departed the company except the founder.  It once had a minor amount of funding from Abbey Road Studios -- several years ago -- but went through difficult times.  It may have other employees,  but it didn't look like the company was doing well. That is usually the situation with small SaaS companies that offer lifetime deals. That lifetime may be very short. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

I found this: “CloudBounce has produced more than 1.7 million master recordings since 2015. It has a user base of no less than 300,000 registered users from across 130+ countries.”

And apparently the full version costs $2000 over at adsr.com. 

I had some offer a few years back - five free cloudbounce mixes. All it seemed to do was make everything louder and also apply a fairly blunt normalisation effect that took away much of the original light and shade. I could achieve a similar result with Audacity. 😂

I wasn't particularly impressed and didn't pursue it. Might have been my inexperience and it might be more sophisticated these days. Can 300,000 people be wrong? 🤔

YMMV

Andy

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

I found this: “CloudBounce has produced more than 1.7 million master recordings since 2015. It has a user base of no less than 300,000 registered users from across 130+ countries.”

And apparently the full version costs $2000 over at adsr.com. 

ADSR has sold a full version lifetime deal for $99 USD at least a few times over the past couple of years. That offer is what caused me to research Cloudbounce. 

• Great Idea 1

I just did a quick search and found, as usual, some online retailer is selling the CloudBounce lifetime deal for $99 USD. But once again, beware of the company's stability. It doesn't look very good. If they claim they have 300,000 registered users and many of them have free accounts or bought low cost lifetime deals, they don't have a good source of recurring revenue. 

https://www.waproduction.com/plugins/view/cloudbounce?utm_source=adwords&utm_campaign=US+-+PerMax&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_tgt=&hsa_src=x&hsa_ad=&hsa_ver=3&hsa_cam=17518099617&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_acc=6930343824&hsa_grp=&gclid=CjwKCAjw_b6WBhAQEiwAp4HyIK0YLchxGEIGzSrvgOgpsY8N6N12XUOgfuwMLTNSPmVSFmIp7dRqbRoCJ2gQAvD_BwE

Info on the company: 
https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/cloudbounce

LinkedIn shows they have 7 current employees registered, including the founder, who is also an advisor with another company and pitching it to investors (that doesn't mean his main company isn't doing well, but it is something worth investigate. At least one of those employees have indicated they're in search of freelance work and not consulting at the exec level (their position at CloudBounce). I'm a former Fortune 200 strategist and beyond our company strategy, I would advise on businesses my company was looking at acquiring; while someone else handled the due diligence from a financial perspective, I analyzed businesses viability and strategic fit; judging from this company's lack of growth and leadership that has exited since it was getting funding, I would be pragmatic at how long the company's lifetime might be; software as service companies that have been around several years commonly don't sell lifetime licenses for their main offerings; that's what companies desperate for cash do). 
https://www.linkedin.com/company/cloudbounce/

Of course, none of this means they don't have a good product. I just wouldn't count on enough resources for solid product support or expect longevity for the company.  Software as service (SaaS) companies selling lifetime licenses are basically always going to be high risk (of their closing their doors). 

Edited by PavlovsCat

I wonder how results from services like this compare to using all-in-one mastering plugins, e.g. IK's One, Lurssen Mastering Console, or PA's MasterDesk. The list prices of these plugins are quite high, but they can go for quite cheap during group buys/sales.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

Of course, none of this means they don't have a good product. I just wouldn't count on enough resources for solid product support or expect longevity for the company.  Software as service (SaaS) companies selling lifetime licenses are basically always going to be high risk (of their closing their doors). 

Image Line FL Studio seems to be doing fine

31 minutes ago, antler said:

I wonder how results from services like this compare to using all-in-one mastering plugins, e.g. IK's One, Lurssen Mastering Console, or PA's MasterDesk. The list prices of these plugins are quite high, but they can go for quite cheap during group buys/sales.

Cloudbounce Mini actually seems to be another app like them. Or like Ozone. 

1 hour ago, antler said:

Lurssen and Masterdesk are both quite decent. I would normally just use separate compressors, saturation, EQ, etc but for ease of use and decent results these can get people in the ballpark depending on how good the mix is.

I've been pretty wary on Cloudbounce and would likely trust PA's newer online (or desktop version) AI Mastering instead personally.

55 minutes ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

Image Line FL Studio seems to be doing fine

That's really not an argument to my point, which was that SaaS companies that do lifetime deals have a high rate of going out of business.  First, Image Line is not a SaaS company. Second,  a high rate doesn't mean they all go under. It means a high percentage of these companies go under. It's easy to see why Image Line has done well,  because they have a good product  with a decent customer base, good word of mouth and DAW buyers purchase a lot of other software after their DAW purchase. CloudBounce plays in a much more narrow space. That doesn't mean they'll fail, but the signs that are publicly available don't reflect that they are a growing company.  If they were growing and I heard good reviews, I'd absolutely be game to gamble $99 USD, realizing they could be out of business at any time but hoping to at least get a year or two. 

Edited by PavlovsCat