Did you make more music when you retired?

smallstonefan

21 minutes ago, smallstonefan said:

No idea...?

Yup, I was right. 4 residents both voted twice and were caught.

As of April 2022,  two were awaiting trial but the other two were put under court ordered community service and mandated civics courses to avoid jail time (18 month is they fail to comply).

21 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Yup, I was right. 4 residents both voted twice and were caught.

As of April 2022,  two were awaiting trial but the other two were put under court ordered community service and mandated civics courses to avoid jail time (18 month is they fail to comply).

Well, 4 people out of ~130,000 residents is hardly noticeable.  By comparison, in California for instance, two men are facing criminal trial for submitting more than 8,000 fraudulent ballot applications on behalf of 'fictitious, nonexistent or deceased' people.  The overarching fact is that The Villages is a pretty cool place for active adults.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SMcNamara said:

Well, 4 people out of ~130,000 residents is hardly noticeable.  By comparison, in California for instance, two men are facing criminal trial for submitting more than 8,000 fraudulent ballot applications on behalf of 'fictitious, nonexistent or deceased' people.  The overarching fact is that The Villages is a pretty cool place for active adults.

Well, I hope those two men are punished accordingly if found guilty (regardless of their polytic affiliation) as with the four in FL.

For the record I was not saying (and would not say) that The Villages was inherently bad because of these cases. I only mentioned The Villages because James mention it.  I'm sure it's a cool place.

I've also been to Hawthorne and it's a decent area here in Southern California.

• Like 2

I plan to stay in my home as long as I can. I can hire out people to help out if necessary. I am in Pennsylvania and I like the seasons and weather here. If retired in the winter I just won't go out. I'm not really the type of person who thrives on social connections. As long as I have a few friends around I think I'll be ok. A big retirement community would be wasted on me. Not knocking it if that is something others have interest in. 

I'm still probably a few years out unless my health demands it sooner. Right now I'm looking at ways to cut expenses pre retirement. I'm dropping 300.00 a month on Comcast triple play I signed on with  a long time ago. My son works for them and he was telling me they aren't very flexible on negotiations to cut that amount. "Triple play" is a home phone, the channels and internet. I looked at T-mobile because they have a box now and only 50.00 a month. All I really want is the internet. Unfortunately I am out of range for them. I can't get Verizon's fiber here since I'm so far out. 

I checked out Elon's Skylink and it looks as if it is still too early to jump into that. He doesn't have enough satellites up there to cover my area very well. Sure, I could buy the dish and wait. I discovered a local WISP but they told me  it looked like there were trees blocking the signal. I took a pic to the right of my house and it looks like I can see the tower.

WISP.jpg

If I get to a point where I can't take care of myself anymore, I plan to move to the Philippines. There, I can hire a maid, a cook, a driver and a fluffer for less than the cost of an assisted-living facility in the US. Probably even bring in live music once a month. Fresh tropical fruit delivered to the house daily. All while enjoying a culture that actually respects geezers, er, elders. 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 2

23 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

If I get to a point where I can't take care of myself anymore, I plan to move to the Philippines. There, I can hire a maid, a cook, a driver and a fluffer for less than the cost of an assisted-living facility in the US. Probably even bring in live music once a month. Fresh tropical fruit delivered to the house daily. All while enjoying a culture that actually respects geezers, er, elders. 

For WAY, WAY less!  And with the added bonus of getting cared for by people that really DO a good job and actually care for you.

Having my 93-year old Mom in a facility out here (Gresham Oregon), I've gotten to see the good, the bad, and the ugly of elderly care.  99% of the best CNA's and MA's that my Mom has really liked have all been Filipina.  They not only do their job well, but they all tend to go that extra mile.  Very appreciated by me!

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

I hope I can still request tracks even then.

54 minutes ago, craigb said:

99% of the best CNA's and MA's that my Mom has really liked have all been Filipina.  They not only do their job well, but they all tend to go that extra mile.  Very appreciated by me!

Same here for the mother-in-law. She is in a beautiful (private) home with only 6 residents and is extremely well taken care of. And, she's only a 20 minute drive away from us.

15 hours ago, bitflipper said:

The same is true of Viet Nam and India. Not sure how many other countries are similar. As long as US currency can stay ahead.  Recently I watched a video where a man was living well in India on 21.00 a day. I can't answer for how well they respect elders. I have heard stories of  elder care homes here neglecting their residents. There are the ok ones, the great ones and then the bad ones.