"Something To Prove"

Lee Shapiro

About a week or so ago, I wrote a post in the Coffee House forum about having writer's block.   Well, I finally wrote something.  It's basically about trying to prove to myself I can still  crank out a halfway decent song.  Definitely not one of my best songs, but at least I'm trying to get out of that slump.
I've been listening to a lot of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers lately, and you might be able to hear that influence a little in this song.

Something To Prove

• Like 2

I hear Dillon and Petty suiting your vocal extremely well . I think the mix is right and the song itself is right up there ... small nig is that I feel the vox could be brought up a tad and the fade is a little too long .... but hey .. I really enjoyed this one  ... think you found your mojo mate so welcome back LOL👍

Steve

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SupaReels said:

Dillon and Petty

Petty/Springsteen was the vibe I'm getting.
Drums are killer, really great "bell" on that ride (mind sharing?).
Nothing to prove to the forum, but I get the "block"; sometimes it just slams shut.

👍's here.

t

careful what you wish for, maybe the muse is back; she can be very demanding at times...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Drums are killer, really great "bell" on that ride (mind sharing?).

I have Toontrack's Superior Drummer 3 and I have about a dozen or more different drum packs for the software.  I knew I wanted a lighter drum sound on certain parts, but I also wanted that clear bell ride cymbal for the chorus.   I went through almost all the different sets to find the right one, and then I still had to play "mix and match" with the individual drum pieces to get the kick and snare just right.   I'm not in front of my DAW right now so I can't tell you specifically what I used, but that's the general idea.

And Thank you!

Edited by Lee Shapiro
updated info
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the great comments.  And thanks for listening.
I just listened to the song for the first time on my small laptop speakers, and the mix sounds like the vocals were drowning everything else out.
And usually I dislike my vocals, but I really didn't like them in this song.  I think I might try doing them over, because there were parts that they were too loud and got distorted.  And thank goodness for Melodyne. 🙄

Thank you again, I appreciate the comments and suggestions.