Ableton updates Live to v11.1 - Apple Silicon / M1 Support

cclarry

Ableton has announced that the free Ableton Live 11.1 update is now available. This update adds native support for Apple computers running on the M1 Silicon chip.

This release also comes with a number of small improvements, including an updated Shifter device, which adds a new mode for real-time monophonic pitch shifting, as well as delay, an envelope section, an LFO and glide functionality.

Two new Max for Live utilities, Align Delay and Shaper MIDI are also added. Align Delay allows artists to compensate for lag when sending signals throughout their system. Shaper MIDI generates modulation data that can bring more expression to MIDI performances.

Additional features include improvements to comping, updates to Clip handling, and more.

For a full list of what's new, read the release notes.

https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-11/

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/

• Thanks 2

Indeed, but I got an email. And also note that this update doesn't install (automatically) from Ableton. You have to download and manually install it from their website. And also note that my first 2 startups after the update made Ableton crash immediately. Third time was the charme though.

It's good that it doesn't auto update, and that you can run 2 versions of Live  side by side!

There is also a warning that if you save a set (project) in the latest version, you won't be able to open it again in the previous version. So until you know that you are all in with the update, it is best to save a copy of any existing sets to test in the new version!

43 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

In my case I find ABLETON 10 and 11 are the only Daw i have that sends my system fan nuts. Apparently its a thing for many for a good while, unresolved.

Core i5 dell inspiron, 16GB Ram, 2TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 4GB Nvidia card

That means it is likely redlining your CPU, and your computer is trying to stay cool under load.

Not seeing that issue here with a desktop PC, using a full tower case and a couple of good case fans for cross-ventilation. I also went into my BIOS and tuned the fans for lower RPM, until the CPU temp reaches a higher threshold (below core meltdown, of course). :)

Intel Core i-5, 6 cores @3.7 GHz base, turbo to 4.6 GHz, ASUS Prime Z390-A, 16GB DDR4 memory, Samsung EVO 860, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6.

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

@abacab It seems its been widespread for a long time. Lots of owners with various system specs having this issue and no real resolution, just tough luck it seems. I looked across many "solutions" .. generally none work for most OR only temporary. 

Its languishing on my system now and as much as I like to try it now and then, just too much noise the minute its opened. Every other DAW, all other software on system no problems like this, just ableton.

3 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

@abacab It seems its been widespread for a long time. Lots of owners with various system specs having this issue and no real resolution, just tough luck it seems. I looked across many "solutions" .. generally none work for most OR only temporary. 

Its languishing on my system now and as much as I like to try it now and then, just too much noise the minute its opened. Every other DAW, all other software on system no problems like this, just ableton.

Well... laptops...  😉

17 hours ago, Craig N said:

I set my fan to run at full speed all the time in bios because noises like fans speeding up and down constantly drive me bonkers. 

That's why I went the extra step and minimized my fan speeds, until critical temps are reached. Which is almost never, unless all cores are running at 100%. Plenty of ambient ventilation in my large full tower case. Slow fans generally keep the air flowing for me.

Those fans constantly speeding up and slowing down was driving me crazy also! 🤪

Edited by abacab

Just now, aidan o driscoll said:

Yes .. I am concluding that Ableton doesnt like laptops particularly. I dont have this issue on a desktop of have with lower spec memory and HD ( mechanical ) wise

I looked at the Ableton Forum, and it seemed that the majority of the recent (past 2 years) complaints for fan noise were made by Macbook Pro users.

4 minutes ago, abacab said:

I looked at the Ableton Forum, and it seemed that the majority of the recent (past 2 years) complaints for fan noise were made by Macbook Pro users.

Interesting that its just ableton - I have 10 and 11 installed.

Cakewalk, FL Studio, Reason, Reaper, Samplitude and likes of Soundforge, Vegas etc all fine, no issues 

My system is a Dell Inspiron laptop 17" with 16GB Ram, Core i5, 2TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, Nvidia Card with 4GB

Edited by aidan o driscoll

59 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Interesting that its just ableton - I have 10 and 11 installed.

Cakewalk, FL Studio, Reason, Reaper, Samplitude and likes of Soundforge, Vegas etc all fine, no issues 

My system is a Dell Inspiron laptop 17" with 16GB Ram, Core i5, 2TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, Nvidia Card with 4GB

Did you see this?

11 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Yes @abacab  .. installed it, no difference

Hey man, I do wish you luck! Have no other ideas... and can't imagine why it's just Ableton being a troublemaker on yours. That's really weird! 🤪

I have observed in general that laptops are known to make notorious compromises when it comes to their form factor, when compared with desktops, especially for demanding real-time applications like DAWs.

I don't mean to bash laptops, as I have owned several. But all consumer laptops are specifically designed to fit components into  a very tight space with little ventilation, conserve power to maximize battery life, and use a lower power version of the CPU (mobile ) to minimize heat output. Plus some BIOS options to adjust performance parameters are typically hidden from the end user.

Those compromises can pose additional challenges to the already thorny path for setting up a high performance DAW!

• Like 1