ARC and Monitors vs. expensive monitors

Bad Mac

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

You can spend millions on recording equipment, but you can't bypass your room.

Complete rubbish!

(I can't even spend hundreds on recording equipment right now...  Heck, I don't even have a room! 😁 ...  😢)

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, garybrun said:

NO... it is built and assembled in the room.

Then that desk is over 2.1 meters wide. Not a small desk.

On 1/16/2021 at 2:09 AM, bitflipper said:

Sure you can bypass your room. Just open the door and step outside. Snow is a great acoustical absorber.

But then you're moving to a different room with different "problems". If you monitor outside... There are no early reflect... You are a genius. All OP has to do is move his gear outside the home and record there.

On 1/12/2021 at 12:24 AM, craigb said:

Let me guess, you spent so much on the desk that you didn't have enough left to replace a few bulbs? 🤔

(I still like the ambience of that room!  The tilted wall actually adds to the effect. 🙂)

On 1/11/2021 at 5:56 PM, garybrun said:

Regarding desks I can recommend studiodesk.net
great customer service.
Take a look at mine,  very pleased with the service and there are many different one to suit budgets.

gary1.jpg

Their desks start at $2,580.00. That is more than i want to spend. Nice desk for sure. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bad Mac said:

Their desks start at $2,580.00. That is more than i want to spend. Nice desk for sure. 

Build your own for a lot less and get something closer to what you really want. I had mine built by a bud with a wood shop. If you're handy build it yourself. I build cabinets when the mood suits. Just built a drink center from scratch. Back when I needed a desk I didn't have the tools I have now. If you need/want advice ask away.

By modern standards my desk is now considered massive. I have 12 rack spaces to either side of me at knee level. Two half racks still under the main surface. 4 additional  rack spaces under my monitors. Enough room for two sets of monitors. The middle has a cutout for  a full sized keyboard.A level above that has a sliding shelf for two monitors. I can slide that shelf over the keyboard if necessary. There is yet another level to the rear that could be used for a 3rd video monitor on a  taller stand. The back of the desk is truly cavernous. Lots of room for whatever behind the racks. At least as much room as the racks take up. I had to bring it in three pieces bolted together.

We used high quality finished plywood which was stained. The only things I wish would have been done differently is  he made the racks spaces just a little tighter than I wanted. Also there is no rack mounts strips. When I move to my next studio space I plan to either build a smaller desk or modify the one I have.

Back in the day all of those spaces made sense. FWIW I never even half filled them. Now it would be overkill for most studios who use ITB plugins and efx. All you really need is a nice front end into a decent interface, decent monitors. If a keyboardist it's nice to have the keys handy. That's about it.

Edited by Starise

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, craigb said:

Sorry Bad Mac, but your studio is unacceptable!

Please add missing lava lamp and try again.

(😜)

Otherwise, it's looking pretty good! 😆

I do have a wax melter smell good thing, does that count?

• Like 1