Brian May Birthday Celebration - up to 50% off AmpliTube Brian May on Mac/PC (50%) and iOS (48%)

Peter - IK Multimedia

Honor a legend with up to 50% off his legendary tones for Mac/PC and iOS

20200713_brian_may_birthday_news@2x.jpg

Join us in celebrating the birthday of a legend and one of our favorite guitarists of all time - Brian May.  We've celebrated his iconic tones in AmpliTube Brian May and now celebrate his birthday with up to 50% off AmpliTube Brian May for Mac/PC and Brian May Collection on iPhone and iPad now through July 20th 2020.

Buy AmpliTube Brian May on Mac/PC

Learn more about Brian May Collection for iPhone or iPad

Born on July 19, 1947, Brian May has not wasted a minute of his time, becoming one of the world's most inspirational guitarists (and so much more) known around the world.  As if being a founding member of Queen, one of the most iconic bands in the history of rock and roll, didn't keep him busy enough, Brian has also kept busy throughout his life as a prolific songwriter, producer, activist, and scientist - he even holds a PhD in Astrophysics!

All purchases from the IK online store are subject to VAT in the EU and may vary by country. Although IK strives to provide accurate product and pricing information, unintentional pricing or typographical errors may occur. IK reserves the right to correct, change or update information such as pricing, availability and product descriptions, at any time without notice. In-app purchase and app pricing is shown in USD, your territory pricing will vary based on Apple's App Store pricing model.  Please see your regional pricing in the Store menu in each app. Sale through July 20, 2020.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

I just tried out the Red Special pedal and the VOX amp... Amps sound good, the pedal didn't seem to do much.

There's a switch near the top with the options I - RS - II, which is set to RS by default.  You need to set it to I if playing through single coils, II for humbuckers.  In the RS mode the pickup selector switches don't do anything because it assumes that your input is a Red Special guitar.  Which seems amazingly pointless because there's not much point in using that model if you are actually playing a Red Special. 

Also the pickups are arranged with the bridge on the left and neck on the right.  If you notice the curve which is supposed to represent the curve of BM's guitar, it makes sense that you are looking at his guitar from audience perspective and it makes sense.  I have to admit, though, that it took me a moment to see it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

There's a switch near the top with the options I - RS - II, which is set to RS by default.  You need to set it to I if playing through single coils, II for humbuckers.  In the RS mode the pickup selector switches don't do anything because it assumes that your input is a Red Special guitar.  Which seems amazingly pointless because there's not much point in using that model if you are actually playing a Red Special. 

Also the pickups are arranged with the bridge on the left and neck on the right.  If you notice the curve which is supposed to represent the curve of BM's guitar, it makes sense that you are looking at his guitar from audience perspective and it makes sense.  I have to admit, though, that it took me a moment to see it.

Interesting, I didn't know it was bridge on left. I did notice the switch for single coil or humbucker though and I have to agree I was like WTF when I saw the RS part of that switch. Like, what is the use case for that LMAO

Edited by RSMcGuitar
EDIT: said wrong side for bridge

i am temped but, meh.. the product just seems too gimickey. It seems skimpy on effects compared to Satriani and other collections, no? It would be great if IKM tried to make collections with players that have great tone but aren't super start rock / metal players. Like Mike Landau or Bill Frisell or Marc Ribbot. But I guess won't sell as much.

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

i am temped but, meh.. the product just seems too gimickey. It seems skimpy on effects compared to Satriani and other collections, no? It would be great if IKM tried to make collections with players that have great tone but aren't super start rock / metal players. Like Mike Landau or Bill Frisell or Marc Ribbot. But I guess won't sell as much.

Just try it , i do think that it s super versatyle , from clean to anything heavy ... presets are for fans and super cpuheavy but if you know what you re doing , it s really a top peak

i tried also the joey and i like the matschall but , nothing super exiting for the rest ... 

The gate and the crybaby are a bit redundant depending on what gear you already have.  I think the treble booster is a little noisy.  The Fox phaser is different.  As a traditional phaser it's limited, but the foot pedal controlled sweep is interesting.  The Red Special is kind of a nice way to get some tones from your instrument you might not normally get, though.

As much as I appreciate his playing, I always thought Brian May's tone was a bit boxy, and the presets seem to exaggerate that.

I'd prefer they focus on manufacturer lines instead of artists, though.  I'd especially like to see a Wampler line.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Magic Russ said:

I'd prefer they focus on manufacturer lines instead of artists, though.  I'd especially like to see a Wampler line.

I agree with this. That has always been the main appeal of Amplitube to me. I play my own music so nailing that We Are The Champions tone (lol) just isn't something that interests me. Even if it were my favourite band it wouldn't interest me, really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

I agree with this. That has always been the main appeal of Amplitube to me. I play my own music so nailing that We Are The Champions tone (lol) just isn't something that interests me. Even if it were my favourite band it wouldn't interest me, really.

But this one is providing very different tones so I believe it could be interesting and useful also for  new and creative things :)

Personally I like it :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

As much as I appreciate his playing, I always thought Brian May's tone was a bit boxy, and the presets seem to exaggerate that.

I sort of agree with this. But you have to admit, it's a very unique sound compared to standard fare of British blues rock tones.  The tones he got on the It's a Kind of Magic /Highlander soundtrack were very very good IMO.

8 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

my guess is this product is  targeted towards the middle aged dad guitar player rock & roll fan customer instead of the fans of the actual guitar amp and pedals. makes sense. good profitable market.

I have been able to get very good results with AT 4 by manually tweaking the amp sims in AT 4 core. Also started using the Mesa Boogie Mark VI a lot. Very cool hidden behind the scenes settings when you flip the amp to its back.

• Like 1

It is also quite possible to get much more than just the "Brian May/Queen" sound from this gear.  Before we had presets I used it for one Queen tone then moved on and was getting a range of other useful tones that didn't sound like Brian but sounded great in their own way.  Same with the Satriani gear.  I'm not a shredder like that, so I immediately just go for other types of tones than the artists' tones with any of these packs.

That said, I would also like to see some more manufacturers hitting the AmpliTube Collections, um, collection.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

It is also quite possible to get much more than just the "Brian May/Queen" sound from this gear.  Before we had presets I used it for one Queen tone then moved on and was getting a range of other useful tones that didn't sound like Brian but sounded great in their own way.  Same with the Satriani gear.  I'm not a shredder like that, so I immediately just go for other types of tones than the artists' tones with any of these packs.

That said, I would also like to see some more manufacturers hitting the AmpliTube Collections, um, collection.

i was using the free metal collection and got a lot of usable non-metal tones.

8 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

It also wouldn't hurt to have some of those presets.  For example, with the Slash collection, you had some presets which showed off the components in ways that weren't necessarily tied to his discography.  Why not have presets showing off the treble booster with other amps?  Or good uses for the Fox phaser?

This brings me to another one of those peeves of mine.  Amplitube has a feature to allow users to save model presets.  I never understood why IK never includes model presets for any of its gear.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

13 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Tworock , wizard , bogner, official vox ...