Anyone Here Use or Own Presonus One 4.5?

bayoubill

Studio One Pro (now 4.6.1) is the only DAW I use, check out the following link for info about instruments. I mainly use 3rd party instruments and have never really checked them out myself. If you own Rapture Pro you can of course use it in S1, not sure about AD, if you are talking about something that came bundled with SONAR, it may work, I think it does (it's been a long time, can't really remember, I jumped ship from Cakewalk/SONAR in 2015) if it's the real deal of course it will work in Studio One if you own it.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One#instruments

If memory serves me correct there were a number of Cakewalks own stuff that would work outside SONAR, but I never really use them, and no longer have SONAR Platinum etc installed to check.

Edited by ensconced
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ensconced said:

Studio One Pro (now 4.6.1) is the only DAW I use, check out the following link for info about instruments. I mainly use 3rd party instruments and have never really checked them out myself. If you own Rapture Pro you can of course use it in S1, not sure about AD, if you are talking about something that came bundled with SONAR, it may work, I think it does (it's been a long time, can't really remember, I jumped ship from Cakewalk/SONAR in 2015) if it's the real deal of course it will work in Studio One if you own it.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One#instruments

If memory serves me correct there were a number of Cakewalks own stuff that would work outside SONAR, but I never really use them, and no longer have SONAR Platinum etc installed to check.

Thanks !!

From what I can tell for me it would be Artist with the vst support which adds $80

total of $150

I think I'll try the demo 1st

Think about it a bit more before pulling the trigger, you could also look at KVR where you could pick up the Pro version for not much more than that. Don't forget there is also a Crossgrade available from any qualifying DAW, in SONAR's case it is X2 or higher, I doubt it would include CbB as it is free. Although still expensive, Crossgrade is about $100 less. Also there are quite often sales etc. KVR would be a good chance though.

Yes demo it, it may not be for you, but I would really recommend the Pro version rather than Artist if you can swing it and you decide to go that way.

I brought the version 3 license from JRRshop when Sonar went under. I didn't register until version 4 came out. So I was able to upgrade to version 4 for free.  Bapu is really using it now so ping him Bill.  It is a good program too. I never really delved into the instruments much.   Look for how much of a grace period Presonus gives to upgrade to the new version. My guess is there will be a new version coming this summertime.   The chord track is neat.  https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/how-to-use-presonus-studio-one-4s-chord-track

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Studio One Pro crossgrade when Cakewalk went under. It comes with some decent instruments and effects that would be great for a first time DAW user. But they are locked to Studio One. So you can't use them anywhere else.

Anybody that is crossgrading from another DAW is likely to already have their own favorite instruments and effects. So you may or may not want to use the S1 bundled plugins. But they are available, and generally decent. It comes with a sampler/ROMpler called Presence XT. I don't use it much, so not sure how it compares with Rapture Pro.

The good news is that most of the Cakewalk Sonar bundle will work in Studio One Pro. The Cakewalk plugins except for Adaptive Limiter are good. Addictive Drums is fine, as well as Celemony. There were a few 3rd party plugins from AAS, 4Front, and Overloud that were licensed for Sonar only.

I had Studio One before Cakewalk went under but didn't use it much until about a year ago. I have continued to update it every so often. I have the latest Pro version.I now find that I switch back and forth all depending on my project needs. For fast song assembly and ease of operation Cakewalk still wins that on all fronts. In terms of sound quality neither one is better than the other. Both have signal chains. They seem easier to find for someone new in SO4 IMHO.

Studio One doesn't come all loaded up with extra programs but there are a few decent romplers in it and drum pad type percussion. TBH I rarely have the need to use those because of the way I work. You might be different. What it has isn't bad but it isn't extensive and I doubt it will cover all of your bases. 

The plugins are another thing though. I think they are better than the stock plugins in most DAWS.  IOW You might not need Cakewalk plugins. My feeling about the program so far is that the guys who are designing it seem to be more into electronic music  and the direction lately has been for people playing with synths and midi manipulation.  Some German dude makes the demos I have seen lately and you can tell he is mostly into that from his setup and videos.To clarify, the trickle down benefit from that is some great  features that all of us can use. If you are a straight "meat and potatoes" kind of musician who mainly wants to track guitars or similar it's great for that. The workflow in it reminds me of Cakewalk in some ways even though the graphics are totally different. For included instruments I would give it a 5 out of 10 since I'm not overwhelmed by those. Knowing what I know about you, I doubt they will trip your trigger either. I could be wrong. 

On mixing, workflow and plugins I would give it an 8 or a 9. Takes some getting used to but not much. I would definitely go with the top pro version but that's me. Good suggestion from Paulo, Give it a try see what you think. Might be a good time to jump in since there's probably a new version coming out soon.