Epic World and Dessert Winds now available in the Shop at APD

cclarry

Tarilonte's Epic ERA Persia is the one that includes Desert Winds, and it costs $159 to upgrade.  And I've never seen them discount upgrades.

But Epic ERA Persia ($259) goes on sale every Black Friday for 40% off, which is $155.   Something to think about. 

With the full library you get a whole set of great middle eastern percussion instruments, plus strings like Oud, Tar, etc.   It's my favorite Tarilonte library, although Nada is starting to give it a run for its money. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mesh said:

Reid, speaking of world instruments...do you have or used a vst instrument called the Mongolian Horsehead fiddle (Morin Khuur)?

The only one I've seen is at the Kong Audio site (looks to be Chinese) and it's a bit dated. There's also YT vid on it (in Chinese with English translations, but yet dated).

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/matouqin-by-kong-audio

To my knowledge, the Kong Audio one is the only dedicated virtual  instrument.  It is in a few group libraries though.

EthnoWorld 6 has Morin Khuur Ensemble, Morin KhuurViolin and Small Morin Khuur.  There's also a Mongolian Ih Khuur Bass.   The first two are Vol 4, the last is Vol 2.  EW instruments tend to get better as the series goes on. 

The Mongolian State Morin Khuur Ensemble was recorded  with multiple articulations in Sonuscore's  "Strings of Winter," which is included in "The Orchestra Complete."   I think it sounds beautiful. 

Strezov Sampling's "Jade Ethnic Orchestra"  is due out soon and I am pretty sure it will include it, because it's going to be huge.   On the other hand, if it's like Balkan Ethnic Orchestra, I doubt there will be many articulations.  Just the basic sounds, albeit sampled beautifully.

On the future front:

I am dreaming that Komplete 13 Ultimate will have a Discovery library that is Asian themed.  But it might be just China or Japan.    If it does happen, it will be out this summer, which is not so far away.   The Middle East Library came out the summer before Komplete 12.

I'm still waiting for Tarilonte to make a Silk Road ERA.  It's time.  That would be the one to get.  Nada has "asian instruments," but they are not intended as such.  The sounds are just used as the basis for  New Age Instruments. 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mesh said:

Thanks so much for all the details.....I'm certainly impressed with your knowledge. :)  

Thanks.  But I'm hardly an expert. 😀

I didn't know much of anything about world music when I first started messing about with Kontakt libraries in 2016 and going to VI:Control.   UVI's World Suite really got me going because it has a zillion instruments. And when I played the stuff I got curious about the real instruments and checked out YouTube videos and live concerts.  And it became this obsessive, expensive hobby that never ends.  After a while you get to know a thing or two about how the instruments are supposed to sound and be played--and you can make your own opinions about which virtual instruments you like the best. 

I just learn from the music libraries.  I never heard of Morin Khuur until Sonuscore came out with "Strings of Winter." 

I imagine  that the Strezov library will be a real learning experience for me. 

If any of you want to go down this rabbit hole, I highly recommend the Discovery series in Komplete Ultimate and EthnoWorld 6 instruments as good places to start.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

If any of you want to go down this rabbit hole, I highly recommend the Discovery series in Komplete Ultimate and EthnoWorld 6 instruments as good places to start.

That would be a negative Capt. :P. I just don't have the time to go through all these instruments (although I'd like to) and find a use for them. I just liked the sound of the Morin Khuur after listening to this Mongolian band and wanted the Vsti.

• Like 2

The following are included in Jade Ethnic Orchestra, currently on pre-order for €349.00

Morin Khuur Solo Legato + Trem2  F2-F4-

Morin Khuur Solo Stacc 2F2-F48

Morin Khuur Solo Pizz2 F2-F48

Bass Morin Khuur Solo Legato + Trem 3Bb0-B2-

Bass Morin Khuur Solo Stacc 3Bb0-B28

Bass Morin Khuur Solo Pizz