VSTBuzz: 72% off “Ambient Collection For Pigments” by Tom Wolfe

cclarry

Without talking about this particular collection (which I find might be reasonably priced on sale), these sound banks always make me wonder about the "value".

While I do realize that it takes a lot of time and effort to make good presets that people find worth paying for (and baking in the price of a licence to use said sounds), at msrp of 105 bucks, you could still get a new decent/great virtual synth or instrument at that price. 

Just wondering how do you calculate how much a new bank is worth?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kirean said:

In general, I'd say the short answer is look around the market and pick something that's competitive.

The longer answer is that worth and value are completely subjective to the individual. The world's most detailed string library probably isn't too interesting to someone who does lo-fi, while someone who does film scoring might be ok with a higher price tag. Likewise, such composer probably wouldn't care much for a plugin that trashes and warbles their final mix.

While we are talking synth presets, the same principles apply: does a potential customer like the sound of the patches? Will they help them to learn the synth? Most synths don't come with 400 factory patches - would someone prefer to pay for another plugin on their list, or would they rather have a larger sonic palette at their disposal for the same cost? If they're a exclusively preset-user, the latter might seem to be better value as it comes down to buying a pool of sounds - and having them all in one plugin is arguably more convenient, especially if they don't have the time/inclination to learn another plugin.

That said, who buys plugins/preset packs at full price? 😁

12 hours ago, Kirean said:

For me, it depends. For my electronica stuff, I get a lot of my initial inspiration from timbres. I hear a sound and a way to use it pops into my head and I'm off and running. Arps and pads.

I was a ho' for A|A|S' soundpacks before I broke down and snagged Chromaphone and Analog VA in deep discount sales. Their soundpacks sound amazing even just using them in the Player.

For other favorite synths, I've paid for banks for Hybrid 3 and XPand! 2, mostly $5 qualifiers for PB BOGO's. I think $10 for a Soundpaint library. All thoroughly worth it.

For others, like MASSIVE, there are so many free presets out there that I have too many of them, especially given MASSIVE's clunky preset browser.

In the great scheme of things, if a sound bank inspires me to create a song, hey, worth it.

I do ask myself if I've truly familiarized myself with all the banks I currently have, and the answer is usually no.

Still, A|A|S discounts a soundpack I don't have for $9, it's an automatic buy.