American Tune

Very nice cover of one of my favorite P Simon songs. The arrangement and instrumental selection is great and so is your vocal. The balance in the mix is fine but a bit harsh to my not so good ears. Maybe some warmth would be beneficial? Perhaps it's a personal preference and nitpicking but on "bon" in "bon vivant" and at corresponding places in following verses I'd rather  go for the D major chord instead of the minor. Anyhow awesome job with this great American tune. 

• Like 1

Hey Steve, hearing your wonderful cover of this song brought back a lot of memories, some bad but mostly good. I checked out some of your other covers and I'm impressed by your talent and your not so common song subjects eg Willoughby.
-Bjorn

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 6:30 PM, equality said:

Very nice cover of one of my favorite P Simon songs. The arrangement and instrumental selection is great and so is your vocal. The balance in the mix is fine but a bit harsh to my not so good ears. Maybe some warmth would be beneficial? Perhaps it's a personal preference and nitpicking but on "bon" in "bon vivant" and at corresponding places in following verses I'd rather  go for the D major chord instead of the minor. Anyhow awesome job with this great American tune. 

Hi - thank you for listening.  I think maybe I mixed the vocals too bright, I was rushing to finish (I know, not a good idea but sometimes I can't help myself).  I'm going to have to go back and check on the D vs Dm - maybe I picked it out incorrectly when learning the changes - thanks again for keeping me honest!!

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 9:56 PM, bjornpdx said:

Hey Steve, hearing your wonderful cover of this song brought back a lot of memories, some bad but mostly good. I checked out some of your other covers and I'm impressed by your talent and your not so common song subjects eg Willoughby.
-Bjorn

Thanks Bjorn - I'm glad you took some time to listen - you never know if any of the stuff gets heard, and when it does, it's like a spirit lift and makes you want to press on - so  thank you!    Willoughby is from an episode of the Twilight Zone.  I used some clips from that episode for a video.  

On 4/18/2024 at 11:34 PM, bmarlowe said:

Steve - Really well-done. Nice mix. Clearly a lot of good sounding pieces went into this.

Just curious - how long did this take you from start to finish?

Hi!  Thanks for listening.  I think it took about a week to put it together.  I find it hard to do the vocals unless I am the only one in the house, so that took some time to get done! 

Steve

On 4/20/2024 at 3:34 PM, steve@baselines.com said:

I find it hard to do the vocals unless I am the only one in the house, so that took some time to get done! 

+1 to that - house has to be empty for me to record vocals. Nice cover that Steve - you did a great job on such a tough vocal. How do you fancy tackling America - that's one of my favourite S&G songs. 🙂 

Andy

• Like 1

I wasn't familiar with this song, until I heard this post.  It is indeed a beautiful song.  I thing that you have an excellent job in interpreting and presenting this song.  Wonderful work!!!

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 5:22 PM, Herky Acuff said:

Love the bass playing and the tone of the bass the most.

Thanks very much - it took a while to get one I am happy with.  For most songs I use Maserati Bass (Waves) for the top and send a portion to a buss with RBass (Waves) for the bottom.  That works for me.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

+1 to that - house has to be empty for me to record vocals. Nice cover that Steve - you did a great job on such a tough vocal. How do you fancy tackling America - that's one of my favourite S&G songs. 🙂 

Andy

Hey Andy that is not a bad idea.  I may try to do that one.  I just came back from a road trip to Florida and while on the New Jersey Turnpike, I though of that song and the line related to that.

22 hours ago, freddy j said:

I wasn't familiar with this song, until I heard this post.  It is indeed a beautiful song.  I thing that you have an excellent job in interpreting and presenting this song.  Wonderful work!!!

Hey thanks Freddy - they don't play it much on the radio, but the first time I heard it I fell in love with the song.  I think I was just turning 20 at the time.