My most recent expletive-laden outburst

Today. Removing frets from a heavily-varnished Stratocaster maple neck.

Just one or two slips of concentration with the old the scalpel knife.

No major damage, but I think the neighbours might have learnt some rather colourful English vocabulary.

Any coffeehousers care to share any recent profanity?

Forgot to add... 

My wife thinks I have the most vulgar mouth. I seem to have a talent for saying very profane things at the worst possible moment.  

But being a educated street man,  I know I can't hold a candle to some of you mofo's!!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Matt Rayner said:

Lucky 13 got me started

I can see that the varnish was very thick! Too thick. Did you do a "pre-cut" along the edge of the frets before pulling them up? Looks like you were doing a great clean job for most of the time.

2 hours ago, Wookiee said:

@Matt Rayner due to the spam we have recently been experiencing you unfortunately used a banned word. As I see you managed to post refrazed.

Yes.  You're not allowed to say ****, ****, *******, ****, ***, ************, *****, **** or Worcestershire here. 😜

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Wookiee. Not sure what the offending word was! Anyway, no worries 🙂

Grem, the varnish on that neck really is thick. It's a 2019 Mexican Vintera Strat. I've done a few rosewood necks before and they're a piece of cake. This was my first attempt at maple. Why they varnish over the frets, I don't know. A production cost saver? I can't think of any other reason. I did indeed use a pointed-tip scalpel to cut between the fretboard and the fret, hence the scratches! I also used a soldering iron to warm up the frets. Today I found an alternative YT vid to the one I followed where the presenter used a round-tip scalpel and no iron. I think I'll try that next time - next time being the serious one, my dear old 86 Tele.  Gulp..

Edited by Matt Rayner
Name mix up

2 hours ago, Matt Rayner said:

used a round-tip scalpel and no iron.

Hummm, not sure why the round tip?

2 hours ago, Matt Rayner said:

the serious one, my dear old 86 Tele.  Gulp..

I know what ya mean. I have been practicing on the StewMac build. Learned a lot from that. 

But when I tackled my custom build... I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I overcame all the trials and today the guitar is in the best shape it's ever been in since it was built-in the mid 80's. And I learned a lot!!

Then I had enough confidence to level/recrown/polish the frets on my 92 G&L Legacy. And I am happy to say that that's been my best work so far. Really proud of that job. 

And now I have a Roasted Maple neck with a 12" radius coming in soon that will replace the 16"radius neck on the StewMac build. The 16" radius is just too flat. I don't like it and am not comfortable playing it. 

I have my 2 Epiphone guitars that have set-in necks. And I want to level/crown/polish those frets but I am still hesitant about it.

Back on topic: Muta.......!!!

Edited by Grem

42 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

"expletive-laden outburst"

One of those got me booted from the Air Force.

The fact that not 1 but 2 first sergeants were present might have been a factor.

You would have probably been promoted if you had been in the Marines... 😁

• Haha 3

Grem. The chube dude said the pointed edge is more prone to digging into the varnish and going off on its own track -which I did experience. He also reckons it can more easily cut slivers of wood.

I'm also wondering if the rounded tip wouldn't have more surface contact and offer a bit more resistance to slipping over the top of the fret. Especially when you're angled right down and trying to get in between the flat of the crown and the board just a little.

I've done quite a few levelling jobs on set-neck guitars. It's not really any harder than a removable, just a bit more work taping things off and moving the ****er around.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt Rayner said:

Thanks Wookiee. Not sure what the offending word was! Anyway, no worries 🙂

Grem, the varnish on that neck really is thick. It's a 2019 Mexican Vintera Strat. I've done a few rosewood necks before and they're a piece of cake. This was my first attempt at maple. Why they varnish over the frets, I don't know. A production cost saver? I can't think of any other reason. I did indeed use a pointed-tip scalpel to cut between the fretboard and the fret, hence the scratches! I also used a soldering iron to warm up the frets. Today I found an alternative YT vid to the one I followed where the presenter used a round-tip scalpel and no iron. I think I'll try that next time - next time being the serious one, my dear old 86 Tele.  Gulp..

As far as I could see, it was a word most foul, or even fowl, hated by many.

What s a p p. A dangerous word wrapped in mysterious forces. 

It has been the favourite platform for the purveyors of nar c o t ics, certain vegetation, voo-doo d o l l s, l o v e sp e ll s etc.

@craigb and that will be enough of your sauce, do you know how they make that stuff?