cakewalk failed to load 80004002 (plug-ins)

is cakewalk have maximum plug-ins we can put in a projet? because when i try to load a new plugin, it keep saying "failed to load". and with a new projet, those plugins all work.    if i delete some plugins of that projet, save and reopen. now it's ok. but if i add some new plugins, after 2 or 3, it restart to fail to load. it look like it reached the maximum plugins cakewalk can handle.

Clipboard01.jpg

I've never had that many plugins on a track in over 20 years of doing this.

Some of those that yuou do have are memory & cpu intensive, and the VX64 is know to be unstable

Forgive me for suggesting this, but you might want to re-examine your workflow

• Like 2

Also, simply bypassing (deactivating) an effect that’s placed in the FX bin, while still keeping it there, will not free up the memory it occupies. The reason for this being so that it may quickly be activated again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SteveC said:

I don't think that's the number of plugins but an error code related to loading that SSL plugin.

that error message doesn't specify the actual plugin, just the folders/path - maybe it's missing?

1 hour ago, pwal³ said:

that error message doesn't specify the actual plugin, just the folders/path - maybe it's missing?

That's not the error message that Cakewalk throws when it can't find a plug-in. If that's the case, then the user should see a pop up listing the plug-ins that couldn't be found and then the plug-in's name will be in parentheses in the FX rack.

And yes "80004002" is the number of the error message, which if you submit a ticket to Cakewalk's support staff, you should supply. If your other tracks are as loaded with plug-ins as your vocal track, I can see why you might mistake 80,004,002 as the number of plug-ins Cakewalk is trying to load (j/k).

As far as whether Cakewalk limits the number of plug-ins you may use at one time, I don't think that it does, but of course you will be limited by the amount of memory your system has.

I'm with the others, 11 plug-ins on one vocal track is at least twice as many as you should ever need. The 3 that are bypassed are still eating up memory, too, and you can probably safely get rid of that second (bypassed) instance of CLA-76. Don't worry, most of us did that when we were new. Not sounding right? Throw on another effect plug-in! Also, when I use de-essers, I put them first in the chain.

I haven't heard about any stability issues with VX-64, if there are it seems like an odd decision on Cakewalk's part to bring it back.

I'm pretty sure the VX-64 has only been brought back in for the new Sonar.

Certainly in CbB it was listed as hidden/didabled and had to be manually added back in to the list of active plugins.

I beleieve from memory this was to ensure that certain FX chains which included VX-64 worked properly,

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

That's not the error message that Cakewalk throws when it can't find a plug-in. If that's the case, then the user should see a pop up listing the plug-ins that couldn't be found and then the plug-in's name will be in parentheses in the FX rack.

fair point, but why isn't the actual plugin vst3 file named? was there an issue loading/accessing a folder? the error code is also a recognised windows code, but the message doesn't make it clear if it's cake or win complaining

/goodluck

6 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

I'm pretty sure the VX-64 has only been brought back in for the new Sonar.

Certainly in CbB it was listed as hidden/didabled and had to be manually added back in to the list of active plugins.

I beleieve from memory this was to ensure that certain FX chains which included VX-64 worked properly,

You are correct, sir.

I was told that VX-64, PX-64, and TL-64 act as the back end for the Style Dials, which I guess makes the Style Dials basically FX chains with nice simple UI's.

In one of those "independent researchers" moments, Craig Anderton (SoS column), Mike Enjo (YT video) and I (on the forum) all revealed the recipe for getting them to appear in CbB within days of each other. Craig probably already knew, and Mike and I were likely both just poking around in Plug-In Manager and found these 3 things that were excluded....

Something I've noticed: the .DLL versions are different between the ones installed by CbB and the ones installed by Sonar. That is if you right click on them, select Properties and then click on the versions tab. Maybe they put a bit of code in them to flag SONAR Artist (and CbB) to exclude them.

What are the issues people have been seeing with VX-64?

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pwal³ said:

the error code is also a recognised windows code, but the message doesn't make it clear if it's cake or win complaining

Hmmm, I Googled "80004002" and it seemed to point to a program or .DLL not being able to connect to some network socket and not finding it.

I wonder if the SSL plug-in (or some other) is trying to "phone home" to check its update or registration status and throwing that error for whatever reason. Or as you suggest, it can't access some resource on the disk.

On 3/31/2024 at 10:34 AM, Starship Krupa said:

poking around in Plug-In Manager and found these 3 things that were excluded....

Just thinking the "hidden" dll's in the Shared\Internal folder are for Style Dials, thus the St prefix: "StVX 6464.dll" which might explain why they are excluded and the reported issues when trying to use them directly.

On 3/31/2024 at 10:34 AM, Starship Krupa said:

the .DLL versions are different between the ones installed by CbB and the ones installed by Sonar. That is if you right click on them, select Properties and then click on the versions tab.

I only have one listing here in the Vstpugins folder dated 2012, and the Shared\Internal folder dated 2014. Both version 1.0.3.

It is curious, tho, why SPlat, CbB, & Sonar each have their own Style Dial folder (again all the same) when they could easily be in a common folder... to save space if nothing else.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pwal³ said:

I know what the Style Dials are. I described them a couple of posts ago.

What nobody seems to be able to tell me is what "the reported issues when trying to use [PX-64, VX-64, and TL-64] directly" are. I've used PX-64 and VX-64 myself from the point when I discovered them and posted the recipe for enabling them.

I did a forum search for VX-64 issues, unstable, problems and found one post from 4 years ago where someone was having trouble and when they removed VX-64 from the project their troubles vanished, but one single person from 4 years ago doesn't make for "known to be unstable." Their issue may have been an interaction with another plug-in in the project, sometimes plug-ins don't play nice with each other.

If it were "known to be unstable," why would BandLab have included it with Sonar? Even hidden, they're part of the fancy plug-in chains that make up the Style Dials. Wouldn't the problems show up when using those, too?

If there are problems we should raise the flag and get the devs to fix them. They can change whatever needs to be changed in the plug-in code or Sonar code.

• Like 1

That error message means that Cakewalk failed to load the plugin library at a system level. The only way that can happen is if something in plugin itself failed the LoadLibrary call. Most likely it could be a memory limitation where the plugin is relying on a global  memory pool which is too small or some other static resource is my guess. This is not a Cakewalk specific problem.