Why Not...

9 minutes ago, Conteloto said:

And why not continue for free as now but without support or updates? I think It is better 😀

Because that is NEVER happening. Why not be realistic about it and offer to pay. 

13 hours ago, John Vere said:

Because that is NEVER happening. Why not be realistic about it and offer to pay. 

Well, to be truly realistic, it will have to be said that if it is no longer free, a large percentage of its users will choose another DAW that is, even if it is a lite version of the competition

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, Conteloto said:

Well, to be truly realistic, it will have to be said that if it is no longer free, a large percentage of its users will choose another DAW that is, even if it is a lite version of the competition

This is highly unlikely as well. Those few users who refuse to pay will not be a financial risk to the company.  Nobody ever said Cakewalk would be free forever so if you used it, then it was your choice. 
There’s a few fee DAWs out there but they have very limited features. But that's an option for people with no money and a $2,000 gaming laptop 😁. . 

The developers have said they will be offering inexpensive versions of Sonar in the future.

Example I like to use -- Sonar Home Studio was only $50. I have it still installed and I could easily produce a high quality recording with it. 

Remember the staff that work at Cakewalk are not the owners, Bandlab is. And the Cakewalk staff need to make a living from this. 

Already lots of people have switched to other DAW’s. So what. It’s your money,  go ahead and spend it. Doesn’t hurt to own other software if you can afford it. I have Cubase 7 and the upgrade alone is $400. 
Most of Cakewalk’s competitors cost well over $500.  So please don’t complain or waist brain cells worrying about what it will cost. We will know soon. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

I've noticed companies that tried to go subscription-only (most notably Avid and Waves) went back to offering perpetual licenses as well as subscriptions. UA, PreSonus, and iZotope - who are all doing very well - offer subscriptions and also offer perpetual licenses.

The reality is that subscriptions benefit some customers and perpetual licenses benefit others. Offering both increases the potential customer base.

I would highly recommend that Cakewalk learn from the mistakes of others, they've already done the R&D :)

• Like 5
  • Great Idea 3

18 hours ago, John Vere said:

This is highly unlikely as well. Those few users who refuse to pay will not be a financial risk to the company.  Nobody ever said Cakewalk would be free forever so if you used it, then it was your choice. 
There’s a few fee DAWs out there but they have very limited features. But that's an option for people with no money and a $2,000 gaming laptop 😁. . 

The developers have said they will be offering inexpensive versions of Sonar in the future.

Example I like to use -- Sonar Home Studio was only $50. I have it still installed and I could easily produce a high quality recording with it. 

Remember the staff that work at Cakewalk are not the owners, Bandlab is. And the Cakewalk staff need to make a living from this. 

Already lots of people have switched to other DAW’s. So what. It’s your money,  go ahead and spend it. Doesn’t hurt to own other software if you can afford it. I have Cubase 7 and the upgrade alone is $400. 
Most of Cakewalk’s competitors cost well over $500.  So please don’t complain or waist brain cells worrying about what it will cost. We will know soon. 

Few?  Many people start using it because it is free  Many of them are not going to pay by a tool that they can get by free ( Yes, a different one, perhaps limited in some things, but enough to continue doing their music)

Some people don't undertand that many, many people see Cakewalk, like what is,  a simple tool to create, it is not a kind of software sect. They choose it because among all tools without cost, it is undoubtedly the best, but it is not the only one.

About the staff need money from them to live, that´s right¡, but software users are not donors to an NGO, if they have almost the same without spending money, why they are going to pay for it , it would be silly.

Music creators also have many, many expenses, and and few, few  income, nobody gives them anything.

And I have not drawn the issue of software subscriptions, very common today and the worst system for the end user, but that is another topic.

35 minutes ago, Conteloto said:

many people see Cakewalk, like what is,  a simple tool to create

Cakewalk, be it SONAR. Sonar, CbB is far from a "simple tool", far, far, far from a "simple tool".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heath Row said:

Cakewalk, be it SONAR. Sonar, CbB is far from a "simple tool", far, far, far from a "simple tool".

Exactly and why it should have cost around $500 all along. That’s what the average price of a full featured DAW has always been

This was a simple marketing ploy they used and I think worked brilliantly. 

I have no clue what the actual numbers are but since Cakewalk was made free my guess is the user base grew from thousands to multi millions. So to simplify the math.  
2017 - 1 user 

2024- 100 users 

So even half of that is a huge increase in users. And then we will see another increase as Sonar hopefully gains respect from the DAW community in general. Believe it or not a lot of people avoid free software. 

Edited by John Vere

These last three answers is what I meant as a software sect, it is very common.

Isn't it a "simple" tool to create? So what is, a friend, a companion in the lonely afternoons ...

The primcipal issue is, or should be, create music, not take a foam bath with the software (tool) you use.

40 minutes ago, Conteloto said:

Isn't it a "simple" tool to create?

sorry if i misinterpreted this, but no software is simple to create, especially if you have marketing trying to direct it, and then dumbing that software down so numpties can understand it (usually in the ui)

It is a "cakewalk" to use it.   The overall name makes sense.   It is relatively simple and easy to get great results in recording.  I first got into it because it was Windows based and had (and has) great midi implementation.  It is still much easier for me to wrap my mind around it, than Cubase for example.

That fact that it is a "cakewalk" does not mean that it is not deep.  It is deep, and allows for many layers of knowledge for its use.  But that does not mean it is complicated to use.  It is easy make a great product.

And it comes with a super forum and staff people that are very attentive, kind, knowledgeable and approachable!  That is worth a lot!

My 2 cents.

Edited by Alan Bachman

Like other DAWs, and previous Cakewalks (Sonar, Platinum iterations) . . . why not make them "sell" you on the new features. So, you buy it originally (maybe they will discount slightly for Platinum lifetime users, LOL) . . . then, the new versions they offer have new features and add-ons . . . you decide if you want the new tantalizing features, or not . . . if you get behind in your upgrades, it will cost more to catch up. If you wait too long, your OS and audio interface will become obsolete anyways.

This way, they have to continuously improve the product in meaningful ways to remain DAW relevant, and competitive in the marketplace, everyone's a winner.

. . . then I awoke from my dream to realize the subscription model makes the most sense from a business point of view, predictable revenues, dedicated customers. Only problem is "subscription" is just a jaded word in software sales . . . so, just present it as an old school "partnership" with the existing clients, since many are long time partners already. For the newcomers . . . just build it, and they will come.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pwal³ said:

sorry if i misinterpreted this, but no software is simple to create, especially if you have marketing trying to direct it, and then dumbing that software down so numpties can understand it (usually in the ui)

Sorry, my fault, I do not mean that the creation of the software itself is easy, much less, what I mean is that it is just a tool ---> to create music.

• Like 1

so, just pick up your acoustic guitar or sit at the acoustic piano and use your phone recorder. last i heard, there are several artists with platinum selling songs who did just that. boom! simple create music. Cakewalk provides creative tools but it's set into an engineering framework to handle electronic creation, recording, and manipulation. this thus shifts from merely performing live on an acoustic instrument(s), to orchestrating many things into a recording (or live performance for those daring enough). far from trivial or even simple. but the 7 P's still apply to all things.

I just thought of a perfect solution.

Produce a FREE version of Cakewalk with adds that pop up every 5 minutes just like 90% of the free Apps and delivery services do. 

"Don't like these adds?, click here to purchase a licence to remove them"  

They might even make MORE money selling the adds than selling the basic version of Sonar which I predict a  price of  around $50 ( note: ONLY A PREDICTION not a fact) 

Edited by John Vere