Greetings from Brittany in France.

Hello

all Many years ago I acquired several Sonar 4 to 8 licenses.

At that time, I composed more in a rock, blues and pop style.

Sonar allowed me to do a lot of live recording.

I also have a license for Dimension Pro but I use it too little.

It was also at this time that the Roland company abandoned the business and left users orphaned.

Then one day appeared like a phoenix rising from the ashes Cakewalk by Band Lab, it was an excellent surprise.

Cakewalk is reborn again and becomes a completely free DAW without having to pay any money.

Of course, it was a great pleasure to be with the other Daws, but I had acquired FL Studio and sharing this new musical adventure with Cakewalk by B. Lab risked dispersing me.

I am working on self-taught training for orchestral music, video support.

The guitar is largely replaced by virtual products, samples and synths.

Although all of this has taken me away from Sonar and Cakewalk, I remain totally attached to them.

Musical Friendship.

PascalHP  HSMR CIWA.

Translated by Google Translate.

• Like 1

Welcome to the new Forum of CW. 

Just to give you a heads up.. Bandlab is about to release Cakewalk Sonar, and it will be a paid for DAW. I think Cakewalk by Bandlab will remain free but will not be  receiving anymore updates.

I think I am remembering this correctly. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Grem said:

Bienvenue sur le nouveau Forum de CW.

Juste pour vous donner un avertissement... Bandlab est sur le point de sortir Cakewalk Sonar, et il s’agira d’un DAW payant. Je pense que Cakewalk by Bandlab restera gratuit mais ne recevra plus de mises à jour.

Je pense que je me souviens bien.

Hello and thank you for your welcome messages.

I am well aware that the new version of Sonar or Next will be chargeable, it is completely logical.

On the other hand, I would have liked to know if those who have original and old versions would be entitled to a preferential price (the dream only concerns those who believe in it :) ).

Sorry for the translations.
Have a wonderful musical day, everyone.
Musical Friendship.

Edited by PascalHP

1 hour ago, PascalHP said:

On the other hand, I would have liked to know if those who have original and old versions would be entitled to a preferential price (the dream only concerns those who believe in it :) ).

Welcome to the forum.

It looks highly unlikely that there will be a preferential price. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wibbles said:

It looks highly unlikely that there will be a preferential price.

I would agree with this. We may be surprised when it does come out. I mean you never know.

But I highly doubt it. As a old time user, I don't think I am owed anything. BUT... if they give a break, I will take it!! :) 

• Like 1

I have heard no discussion of pricing, but fully expect a deeply discounted initial release. That's just SOP in the industry.

I could be surprised, though. What if the price is based on your Coffee House post count? Bapu had better start saving up now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

I have heard no discussion of pricing, but fully expect a deeply discounted initial release. That's just SOP in the industry.

The whole handling of this Sonar release (or not) is just plain weird now. It's out, but it's not, they seem to want feedback and are responding to some of it, but unlike every other release ever there's nowhere specific to do that, so it's all over the place, people can give bandlab money in a roundabout way to authorize it if they want to, but even after all this time they still don't know what the price is going to be.......

I have no horse in the race until such time as I see enough in it beyond the make up to convince me that it's worth the ball ache of a new daw pc, but as an interested observer it's looking a lot like a rudderless ship at the moment.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

There are others lurking …… hello from a rather soggy  La Charente !

J

Hello Jeremy,

Well getting used to wearing rubber boots in Bretagne,  I suspect that in Charente at the moment it's closer to the flood than washing down a good meal with a Bon Cru Charentais.

To tell the truth in Bretagne it is not the time to gorge on Galettes Saucisses, closer to the fireplace to cheer up with some Chouchen to pass down some crepes a little less stuffy than the Kouign Amann.
Have a nice day and be brave .
Musical Friendship.

PascalH 

17 minutes ago, pwal³ said:

marketing versus devs haha, standard in software

TBF I've long thought that it should be standard practice for anyone to not pay any attention to anything said by anyone who has the word marketing in their job title. This also applies to customers.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, paulo said:

TBF I've long thought that it should be standard practice for anyone to not pay any attention to anything said by anyone who has the word marketing in their job title. This also applies to customers.

oh no but then capitalism would crumble 😭

• Like 1

but then who would convince us to buy **** we don't need?? most tv stations would disappear, shops would have far fewer aisles, nobody would know which sneakers to buy... it would be a beautiful chaos haha

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pwal³ said:

but then who would convince us to buy **** we don't need?? most tv stations would disappear, shops would have far fewer aisles, nobody would know which sneakers to buy... it would be a beautiful chaos haha

You're really selling this idea to me now. Do you work in marketing? 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When I worked in the tech industry, one of the aspects that appealed to me was its meritocratic nature. Status and respect was not a product of political maneuvering, but rather based purely on whether or not you knew your sh*t.

But in any meritocracy, strata do naturally form. There was always that one field engineer who didn't know squat and couldn't seem to ever fix anything without assistance. In my office we had a software support analyst whose sole qualification appeared to be that she was cute and flirty. Sure, we all flirted with her, but never gave her anything resembling respect.

At the top of the food chain were the ubergeeks, who almost never got stumped, and whenever they did get a tough problem to crack they leaped on it like a kid attacking a piñata. Below them were the frontline troops who kept customers happy. Perhaps not coincidentally, a great many of them were also musicians. Below that were the middle managers, who kept the rest of us happy by providing a buffer between us and Corporate. Most of them were ex-geeks themselves who understood our tribulations.

But the absolute bottom tier was Marketing. Even coming in below Sales. At least the sales guys were entertaining. Heck, I even had good relationships with those sourpusses in Legal. But the marketing folks were looked down upon by everyone in the hierarchy, including customers. Part of the resentment was due to the fact that they were some of the highest-paid people in the whole organization, despite not  knowing their sh*t. If flew in the face of nerd culture. Whenever they came to me for technical support, I made them pay me $20. Which, to my surprise, they happily did.

But those were my corporate cubicle days. Cakewalk isn't like that. Sure Noel's top dog, and not because of his sparkling personality or impressive guitar chops. No, this ubergeek knows his sh*t.  Paulo, when you say "rudderless", what you're really describing is an organization ruled by geeks, not marketing weenies. I'll take that model any day.

• Like 5