Inverting a Note Selection

Stephen Power

Question

As you can see in the photo, I've got alternate chords selected, so that I can equalize the velocity. I need to equalize the velocity at a different level, for the unselected chords - there are about 50 in total.

Is there a way to invert the selection, or do I need to do it manually (again).

Thanks for any advice.

p.s.  @msmcleod If this is not possible, nor included in the new Sonar, perhaps the bakers could consider it for a future update?

velocity 2.png

20 answers to this question

many programs (not necessarily DAW) have an option to invert the selection, meaning you select things, then invert the selection to get all the other things and unselect the original ones. typically you find programs with CTRL+A = select all, ALT+CTRL+I = invert select, ALT+CTRL+A = select none, etc etc etc.

that could be very handy. it doesn't seem like there is an option in the selection menu. maybe there is a CAL script which could or does do it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

many programs (not necessarily DAW) have an option to invert the selection, meaning you select things, then invert the selection to get all the other things and unselect the original ones. typically you find programs with CTRL+A = select all, ALT+CTRL+I = invert select, ALT+CTRL+A = select none, etc etc etc.

that could be very handy. it doesn't seem like there is an option in the selection menu. maybe there is a CAL script which could or does do it.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I do it with a lot of the programs I use for my professional photography work (such as Adobe Lightroom), so I wondered if it might be possible in Cakewalk, but I did think it may be asking too much. :)

I think this could get complicated very quickly... for example, a simple InvertSelection method on the selection class could literally invert the selection, but I doubt it would do what you want.

For example... you've got a bunch of notes selected.  You invert the selection, and now all your arranger sections, tempo/automation envelopes, tracks/buses, notes in other tracks, meters, markers etc are now selected because they weren't before.

So context is now important, because I bet that's not what you wanted.

And now that context is involved, it suddenly gets way more complex.  So I guess you could limit it to what is currently selected... so say notes are selected.  Does that mean that when you invert the selection, no CC's are included... or articulation sections?  How about notes on other tracks? (these are rhetorical questions of course!)

And that's just the selected notes case..

• Like 1

i think the use case are notes in PRV and anything associated to those notes. but presumably other MIDI bits could be involved, so you would (like Mark suggests) need context - maybe a dialog like "Select Special" is needed to add checkboxes for the context and the action - none, all, invert

What happens if, with the selection as shown, and the Smart Tool enabled, while CTRL is pressed,  you right drag a marquee around the notes you want to invert the selection of?

I tried it here, and indeed, this did invert the note selection within the bounds of the resultant selection marquee. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Promidi said:

What happens if, with the selection as shown, and the Smart Tool enabled, while CTRL is pressed,  you right drag a marquee around the notes you want to invert the selection of?

I tried it here, and indeed, this did invert the note selection within the bounds of the resultant selection marquee. 

I just tried it and it worked here, too.  (I tested with  CbB 2024.02 build 098.)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, David Baay said:

Just shift+drag the selected notes to another lane, and click the clip with the notes left behind. You can then leave them separate or bounce back together.

Excellent advice, thank you very much! :)

5 hours ago, Promidi said:

Good one! I thought I recalled there being a way to do this, but wasn't finding it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Invert = Toggle

Cakewalk Reference Guide - Adding and editing notes in the Piano Roll p834:

toggle.jpg.0abf302a475ee3336cc3b82d3b11ddc7.jpg

Ah, that’s why I couldn’t find it in the manual (yeah I know, I actually read the manual).  I was searching for the phrase  “invert selection” or something like that.

Edited by Promidi