End of life for TTS-1

Good lord, any attempts at finding sf2 files takes you to the time machine and way back machine web pages. I think I'll pass, that's just way to much like work. 

The one @Glenn Stanton was all dead ends. Lots of interesting reading but no obvious downloadable GM midi sf2 files. I'm sort of careful about downloading files. Even though I'm doing this on a old laptop that is it gets screwed I'm fine. 

I doubt if my watchers are interested in ancient tech anyhow.  I have found some very good alternatives that are super easy to download and install. 

Another weird one is I have Coyote with Band in a box. It directly will replace the TTS-1 in Cakewalk and sounds pretty good.  But trying to find a simple download seems a rabbit hole of of scary places on the internet.  If anyone has insight please share. 

TTS-1 was great to get a midi up and playing quickly. If you had midi files associated with cakewalk once clicked upon the midi opened and applied TTS-1 to all tracks and   later you could use other synths if you wanted.  I'm ok  as I have it from the old days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

Good lord, any attempts at finding sf2 files takes you to the time machine and way back machine web pages. I think I'll pass, that's just way to much like work. 

this might help getting past the first one or two entries in the search results... 🙂 

https://musescore.org/en/handbook/3/soundfonts-and-sfz-files

The list below are different from other sf2/sf3/sfz online depositories, in that these virtual instruments contains at least one Musescore 3 compatible attenuation modulator. That is, they are engineered to at least responds to one volume-affecting MIDI data exchange practice used by Musescore 3, such as MIDI velocity. Community handbook editors updating this list should be mindful of the distribution aspect of the SoundFonts or SFZ's license (wikipedia)

All sounds

GeneralUser GS

Direct download from schristiancollins.com (29.8 MB uncompressed)

Courtesy of S. Christian Collins

Magic Sound Font, version 2.0 (67.8 MB uncompressed)

Arachno SoundFont, version 1.0 (148 MB uncompressed)

Courtesy of Maxime Abbey

TimGM 6mb:

The free default soundfont that comes with MuseScore 1

Direct download from sourceforge (5.7 MB uncompressed):

License: GNU GPL, version 2

Courtesy of Tim Brechbill

FluidR3Mono_GM:

The free default soundfont that comes with MuseScore 2 (up to version 2.1).

SF3 Direct download from github (13.8 MB).

License: MIT license

MuseScore_General and MuseScore_General_HQ:MuseScore_General.sf3 is the free default soundfont that comes with MuseScore 3 and MuseScore 2 (2.2 and above).

SF3 Direct download from osuosl.org (35.9 MB)

SF2 Direct download from osuosl.org (208 MB)

MuseScore_General_HQ.sf3 is the pre scale-down version of MuseScore_General. You can download and install it inside Musescore 3 as an extension, see Language, translations, and extensions: install extension.

Changelog.

License: MIT license

Courtesy of S. Christian Collins

MS Basic:

MS Basic.sf3 is the free default soundfont that comes with MuseScore 4

More info see notes inside your computer's Musescore 4 MuseScore\instruments\instruments.xml

Bank and program (work in progress) details on google sheets

Development folder on github

Timbres of Heaven, version 4.0:

Direct download from google drive (429 MB uncompressed)

Direct download from jeetee.net

Courtesy of Don Allen

Soundfonts4U (12 MB up to 1 GB, depending on which package you choose)

Collection of beautifully sounding acoustic guitars as well as pianos, basses, strings, harps and many more.

Orchestral sounds

File that contains common instrument sounds of the four families:

Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra (503 MB uncompressed)
Downloads: SoundFont | SFZ format
License: Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0

Aegean Symphonic Orchestra
Courtesy of Ziya Mete Demircan (352 MB uncompressed)

Piano sounds

SF2 Pianos

Acoustic grand piano, release 2016-08-04
Description: Yamaha Disklavier Pro Grand Piano, sf2 format, 36 MB compressed, 113 MB uncompressed, 121 samples, 5 velocity layers
More information: https://freepats.zenvoid.org/ including other soundfonts.
License: Creative Commons Attribution 3.0
Courtesy of Roberto Gordo Saez

Salamander C5 Light
Courtesy of Ziya Mete Demircan (24.5 MB uncompressed)

SFZ Pianos

Salamander Grand Piano
Downloads: version 2 | version 3
Description: Yamaha C5, 48kHz, 24bit, 16 velocity layers, between 80 MB and 1.9 GB uncompressed
License: Creative Commons Attribution 3.0
Courtesy of Alexander Holm

Detuned Piano (244 MB uncompressed)
License: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0

Plucked Piano Strings
Description: 44.1kHz, 16bit, stereo, 168 MB uncompressed
License: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0

The City Piano
Description: Baldwin Baby Grand, 4 velocity layers, 696 MB uncompressed
License: Public domain
Courtesy of Big Cat Instruments

Kawai Upright Piano, release 2017-01-28
Description: 68 samples, 44KHz, 24bit, stereo, 2 velocity layers, 58 MB uncompressed
License: GNU General Public License version 3 or later, with a special exception
Courtesy of Gonzalo and Roberto

Drumset SFZs

The free MuseScore Drumline (MDL) extension contains a collection of drumset sounds, to download and install see Language, translations, and extensions: install extension

On 2/27/2024 at 7:02 PM, fitzj said:

TTS-1 was great to get a midi up and playing quickly. If you had midi files associated with cakewalk once clicked upon the midi opened and applied TTS-1 to all tracks and   later you could use other synths if you wanted.  I'm ok  as I have it from the old days.

Even if you  have  TTS-1  already installed  when loading a midi in the Cakewalk it will not  load TTS-1 with  the Midi. So no midi player except you go in and assign everything manually. A real pain.

39 minutes ago, fitzj said:

Even if you  have  TTS-1  already installed  when loading a midi in the Cakewalk it will not  load TTS-1 with  the Midi. So no midi player except you go in and assign everything manually. A real pain.

It only auto loads tts1 if there's no physical midi ports enabled. So if you have a port checked, it won't load it with a midi file.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

It only auto loads tts1 if there's no physical midi ports enabled. So if you have a port checked, it won't load it with a midi file.

Thanks for the update. Ok, tried that and it works.  Why not leave it as it was?

Just now, fitzj said:

Thanks for the update. Ok, tried that and it works.  Why not leave it as it was?

That's how it's been since that feature was implemented. The goal was to have audible playback of midi files for people without external MIDI gear. If you have ports enabled, the MIDI has somewhere to go and we assume you've set up for external monitoring, per that type of workflow.

• Like 2

I used and alternative for the TTS-1 percussion, as TTS-1 is flakey... see 

NOTE  All the other instruments  are also available  for conversion... 

• 2 weeks later...

huh awesome. now we dont have quality midi variety. And the new Cakewalk Sonar, strangely is only for "premium users" of bandlab. What's the point of letting only the daw that is ecxacly how the web daw itha little diference for access and keep the real daw closed? by the way will be good if bandlab find anothe "tts" to put in the new versions of CbB

• Meh 1

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:
2 hours ago, KaLuh said:

On mine, tts stills not appearing. There's a "Groove Player"(i don't know what the hell it is) but tts is not there or any place. if you can copy the file and up to drive and send it to me will be more helpful than try to find where in my pc that gone.  [emphasis added]

You tacked this on to a thread from 2019.  Much has happened since 2019, especially in the past several months that affected TTS-1's inclusion in the current build of CbB (Cakewalk by Bandlab). 

See the following thread.  If you have an older version of CbB, perhaps you can find TTS-1.  Not sure if you only have a version after which TTS-1 was dropped.

In either case, the 2024 thread would be a better place to ask for help than a 2019 thread. 

1 hour ago, KaLuh said:

huh awesome. now we dont have quality midi variety. And the new Cakewalk Sonar, strangely is only for "premium users" of bandlab. What's the point of letting only the daw that is ecxacly how the web daw itha little diference for access and keep the real daw closed? by the way will be good if bandlab find anothe "tts" to put in the new versions of CbB

Edited by User 905133
to emphasize "to ask for help" to clarify my intent in replying to the OP in the thread from 2019. My intent was not to suggest a rant.

On 2/25/2024 at 6:39 PM, John Vere said:

I just saw this posted in the announcement regarding the last release. 
Quote: 

“The TTS-1 synth is no longer installed by Cakewalk, by request from Roland. This product is no longer supported and has reached end of life. Older installed versions may continue to work but it is no longer a default for insert instrument.”

Unquote 

But I would imagine we will still have access to it if it was already installed.
I guess it will not be installed with upcoming Sonar. 
I wonder if  Sonar will include the same Generic boring instruments as Cakewalk Next? 
I noticed in Next that GM midi files open with very few appropriate instruments assigned to the tracks. I think there’s only a few common instruments. 
So GM midi files will end up with a lot of piano substitutes as tracks instead of wind instruments and what not. 

I can see Roland requested the removal of the TTS-1 as they  are one of the few developers that make a GM player still. 

We will all be fine until down the road when you rebuild a new system then you will be faced with life with out a free GM player. 

update March 23 2024- I’ll post the links to the 2 videos I produced on this topic so people don’t have to go digging through this long thread: 

No TTS-1 No Problem- https://youtu.be/kF3tEttGdIQ?si=ww5yU8Wesi0ejmBz

Goodbye TTS-1

https://youtu.be/Zw-UqrMmF0A?si=Y3lSjXwjR61elW-p

That problem would be extremely reduced if some of the SONAR Platinum instruments which were owned by Cakewalk (like z3t4) were part of Cakewalk instead of ceasing to exist, especially when one of those was a soundfont player.

• Haha 1

Sad that TTS-1 is getting removed.  I actually love the drums samples and once made a TTS drum track in a post-punk band where we using drum machines.  My bandmate loved the snare. I've always loved the whole kit in general. Is there anything else that sounds like it? Specifically the "standard set."  I tried a free Steven Slate sample pack once and I couldn't find anything thats got that 80s electro rock vibe.   I wrote this song in 2012 using it and I would love to find something similar if its not going to be supported. 

Edited by SteveWave