How to disable this new Sonar splash screen when launching Cakewalk?

tdehan

4 minutes ago, Jesse Jost said:

@paulo would you be able to post a screen shot of this? 

There's nothing to see Jesse. It looks the same as the pic the OP posted. The timer finishes, and the close button comes up, but if I have touched the window sliders at any point either before or after that then the close button doesn't work for a period of time and pressing it or the sliders just gives me the windows "ding" sound like you get when you try to do something that it won't allow until you have closed or acknowledged some other window, except there is no other window. My PC is effectively frozen and won't do anything at all until such time as it decides to let go of whatever is blocking it. Minutes rather than seconds.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, paulo said:

There's nothing to see Jesse. It looks the same as the pic the OP posted. The timer finishes, and the close button comes up, but if I have touched the window sliders at any point either before or after that then the close button doesn't work for a period of time and pressing it or the sliders just gives me the windows "ding" sound like you get when you try to do something that it won't allow until you have closed or acknowledged some other window, except there is no other window. My PC is effectively frozen and won't do anything at all until such time as it decides to let go of whatever is blocking it. Minutes rather than seconds.

truedat!

42 minutes ago, paulo said:

if I have touched the window sliders at any point either before or after

Just so I'm clear, when you "touch" do you mean finger + touchscreen or with a mouse? You're referring to this view's scrollbars by window sliders, right?

Just now, Jesse Jost said:

Just so I'm clear, when you "touch" do you mean mouse of finger + touchscreen or with a mouse? You're referring to this view's scrollbars by window sliders, right?

Mouse click and yes, the position of the scrollbar (as per the OP pic)  suggests that there is something else below the currently visible area (why else would there be scrollbars ?) but trying to use them either during the countdown or even after it has finished just locks everything up for a few minutes up as I described.  

2 minutes ago, paulo said:

Mouse click and yes, the position of the scrollbar (as per the OP pic)  suggests that there is something else below the currently visible area (why else would there be scrollbars ?) but trying to use them either during the countdown or even after it has finished just locks everything up for a few minutes up as I described.  

Correct!

1 hour ago, tdehan said:

@Jesse Jost it indeed has hung Cakewalk twice!  Also, as stated the splash screen positioning on my Surface tablet sits below the taskbar and the count down is not in view as well as the CLOSE button.  When my band is performing live, the Surface tablet is mounted in Portrait position.   Not knowing what was happening as there was no warning that this stupid splash screen was going to appear and block the usage of Cakewalk, the fix was finally to take it out of the mount, restart the Surface in Landscape position.  Then I was able to see the count down and click the CLOSE button.  I am sure you must see how nerve racking that was as we were starting our live performance!  However, as also mentioned, when my band is performing live many times we are performing outside where there is no internet connection.  So, in those cases in order to keep the pop up splash screen from happening I would need to use my cell phone as a hotspot, connect my Surface to it in order to be online.  Not a good user experience.  Also... I don't want my Surface to be online when we are performing so that there are no automatic updates etc that could happen which could affect Cakewalk in a live performance situation.  Unless we have all been under a rock, we all know that Sonar will be available soon!  That doesn't mean that we are all going to run out and immediatly adopt it.  There is absolutely no reason that we should have to constantly be hit in the face with this annoying splash screen reminding us of that!  Right?  This is an absolutely terrible user experience.  There either should be a counter that only shows this splash screen a few times and then not again or the abilty to turn off this annoying splash screen!

And lastly.... You state that CbB will be available for some time?  Are you stating that it will stop working at some point?  If so...when?  If so...is there a plan to let everyone know so that doesn't just stop working prior to a performance or recording session?????   Geez!!

PS.... This annoying splash screen does not give me a warm and fuzzy about purchasing a Sonar License.  In fact..just the opposite.

@tdehan can you confirm that you are running build 29.09.0.075? 
If it hangs you can capture a dump file while the app is hung and send a link to me to investigate. Here are some details about how to capture a hang dump This is always the quickest way to diagnose such issues.

Regarding the experience with this, we'll continue to improve on it but it was put in as an initial placeholder attempt for the announcement many months ago.
FWIW Its very common for free apps that have an upgrade path to display such messaging. (As you know CbB will be transitioning to a paid fully supported product)

41 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@tdehan can you confirm that you are running build 29.09.0.075? 
If it hangs you can capture a dump file while the app is hung and send a link to me to investigate. Here are some details about how to capture a hang dump This is always the quickest way to diagnose such issues.

Regarding the experience with this, we'll continue to improve on it but it was put in as an initial placeholder attempt for the announcement many months ago.
FWIW Its very common for free apps that have an upgrade path to display such messaging. (As you know CbB will be transitioning to a paid fully supported product)

@Noel Borthwick  I am running 29.09.0.075.

I am very aware that it is common for free apps that have an upgrade path to display such messaging.  However, I am also aware that such messages will either stop displaying after so many times or will have the ability to turn them off.  As I stated, unless we have all been hiding under a rock we are all aware that CbB will be transitioning to a paid product.  With that said, it has also been my understanding that the last final updated version 29.09.0.075 would keep running without further updates...

Edited by tdehan
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, tdehan said:

@Noel Borthwick  I am running 29.09.0.075.

I am very aware that it is common for free apps that have an upgrade path to display such messaging.  However, I am also aware that such messages will either stop displaying after so many times or will have the ability to turn them off.  As I stated, unless we have all been hiding under a rock we are all aware that CbB will be transitioning to a paid product.  With that said, it has also been my understanding that the last final updated version 29.09.0.075 would keep running without further updates...

Hi @tdehan thanks, if you can please send a dump file it will help is figure out why it hangs for you. We'll obviously fix whatever is causing that.
We're also considering throttling the prompt so it won't pop on each launch. As mentioned, this was a first cut that was put in a very long time ago (even before the last release) so it hasn't been refined at all.

I understand your use case of the product and it sucks that you had to experience this problem live. We'll find a solution but please send a dump ASAP since thats the quickest way. You can PM me directly.

>>unless we have all been hiding under a rock we are all aware that CbB will be transitioning
You might be surprised to learn how many live under rocks - we still get people contacting support trying to buy products from 2015 😜 

>>With that said, it has also been my understanding that the last final updated version 29.09.0.075 would keep running without further updates.
It may be updated but not with feature updates. We cannot guarantee that it will keep running indefinitely but certainly during the Sonar transition period. See Jesse's post here - if there is any planned change it will be communicated clearly in advance. Also as mentioned earlier all prior builds of CbB will stop working at some point since they use services that are deprecated.

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Hi @tdehan thanks, if you can please send a dump file it will help is figure out why it hangs for you. We'll obviously fix whatever is causing that.
We're also considering throttling the prompt so it won't pop on each launch. As mentioned, this was a first cut that was put in a very long time ago (even before the last release) so it hasn't been refined at all.

I understand your use case of the product and it sucks that you had to experience this problem live. We'll find a solution but please send a dump ASAP since thats the quickest way. You can PM me directly.

>>unless we have all been hiding under a rock we are all aware that CbB will be transitioning
You might be surprised to learn how many live under rocks - we still get people contacting support trying to buy products from 2015 😜 

>>With that said, it has also been my understanding that the last final updated version 29.09.0.075 would keep running without further updates.
It may be updated but not with feature updates. We cannot guarantee that it will keep running indefinitely but certainly during the Sonar transition period. See Jesse's post here - if there is any planned change it will be communicated clearly in advance. Also as mentioned earlier all prior builds of CbB will stop working at some point since they use services that are deprecated.

i saw Jesse post prior.... not what I stated...............

Your experience is why I would avoid using CbB as a DAW for live performance. I would use an older version like Sonar Home Studio. Stable as a rock. It doesn’t need the internet. Or even X3. 

For full 2-3 hour gigs I have redundant equipment for everything involved.  including backing track playback. 2 laptops and a cell phone. Anything breaks I have a disaster plan to fix issues in very short order. Even my mixer could blow up. 

And another reason I chose stereo backing tracks instead of multi track. Bulletproof. And can be played on a zillion different devices or music apps.  I even have a mini disk Walkman.  
The second laptop is fully ready to go before the gig starts. Just like my second guitar.  
Now my Zoom L8 can store my tracks on a SD card  so even my mixer is a backup player. Oh and it can play multi track. I forgot about that part. 
Anyhow my take is only use software that is 100% bulletproof. Like Foobar or WinAmp. Or Sonar Home Studio.  X3 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Are you saying SPlat isn't 100% and will stop working at some point? 

AFAIK it won't stop as long as you do not change your system! The only difference to X3 or older versions is that Splat needs online authorization for a new or changed system.

Forgot to add: One thing that I hate with all these machine authorizations (e.g. Splat, CbB) is that you don't know on what components they are based! Like that it is always a surprise when you change, remove or add a system component whether they still work! It is totally user-unfriendly!!

2 hours ago, sjoens said:

Right now I can't get Kontakt to see any of my libraries since Windows was reinstalled and Native Access says any folder I point them to is invalid.  So it's now defunct.

Many plug ins need to be de-authorized on the original system first. I had the problem when the OS drive died . But all the vendors are very good about this if you contact them with the explanation.
If they are on iLok  you can manage that there. 

And yes I used X3 as an example because it is an offline system of activation. I used Home Studio as example because it is still using CCC but way more stable than SPLAT because it is simple. Splat in those days crashed a lot for me I would never go back. But HS was solid. 

I’ll have to check later and see if it has the playlists though. I don’t think so. 
Edit: yes it has Playlist. 

My plan was to not use the playlist anyhow. I was experimenting with using groupings of 5-6 songs in one project.  That’s sort of how I play anyhow. That’s what I didn’t like about the playlist, to slow between songs.
Bang off 6 songs and people don’t mind if you take a 1 minute break. But even 10 seconds between each song is enough to clear the dance floor. 

Edited by John Vere

On 2/6/2024 at 4:02 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

I think the message has been delivered quite effectively by now. :D

Each start of Cakewalk – for users who use either the complete OS or just specific processes offline – has the user waiting at least 20+ seconds extra before they can start making music. If we assume that Cakewalk has maybe 300 000 users, and that each user starts Cakewalk once a day, that makes 6 million seconds, or 100 000 minutes or 1 666 hours per day... ⏲️😅

And to be fair, if I'm not wrong there is no upgrade path available (yet), so we can't pay to remove the nag screen, either... ;)

If you keep the nag screen, could you please let us be able to close it immediately, without the countdown?

Thanks for an amazing product, looking forward to the new Sonar!

Edited by GreenLight
Redid calculation. :)
  • Like 1