Melodyne files

You must be using a global audio folder. If you use per-project audio then you would have folders for each project with just that projects audio in it. It makes it easier to clean up unused audio files and move the project around.

image.thumb.png.3cd70615a53afbf697c4802d69759fb0.png

Edited by reginaldStjohn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, reginaldStjohn said:

You must be using a global audio folder. If you use per-project audio then you would have folders for each project with just that projects audio in it. It makes it easier to clean up unused audio files and move the project around.

image.thumb.png.3cd70615a53afbf697c4802d69759fb0.png

Melodynes files bypass that, regardless of how you setup your project folders.  It's audio is sent to a specific "separations" folder usually in the documents section of windows under Celemony.

the option to edit the file path for the cache seems have been blocked at some point in v5, but i created a directory junction (using "mklink /J") to redirect it from the OneDrive documents folder to the project drive Melodyne folder (like i had it before they changed it).

so far, so good.

• Great Idea 1

the only problem is the documents path - is if it is the OneDrive (personal) documents folder - the reason i added the junction - i was seeing my OneDrive backing up separation files as i was working on them, and i suspect that could have caused a crash or two. since the OneDrive doesn't seem to follow a junction link, the separations on my project folder no longer risk contention from the cloud service.

as W11 has been pretty stable, most times i didn't go through my usually process of pausing Google and OneDrive and setting airplane mode on. and since Celemony changed the option to get the cache path, the junction solved the issues (as well as getting dynamic project content off my C drive).

On 2/4/2024 at 12:20 PM, Glenn Stanton said:

i keep it on my "quick access" list (along with a few other products which cache renderings in the documents folder - sometime mine, sometimes the "public" user...) so i am reminded to periodically clean them up. 

Hi Glenn, just curious what other products you know cache renderings? Ty

IMHO this is definitely a good example of a failed software design by Celemony (but they are by far not the only ones in that boat)!

For me it would absolutely make more sense to store the rendering cache somewhere in the project folder instead! If you want to clean a project, then everything belonging to the project should be in there (except audio files that the user explicitly links from another place as it is possible in CbB and some other daws).

for me - Melodyne seems the be the main one but i've found some of the Arturia products generate tmp files when you're tweaking settings, but i remove them as part of the content sync i do to the cloud disk periodically. my studio design work has several products which do spin-up temp files, the main one is my rendering engine Podium. so i just clean that one periodically as well (from a quick access link).

i could imagine though, if you have an audio editor (like RX, SoundForge, Acon, etc) which launches from CW, i would presume there is some caching. for me, if i need to edit an audio file that is used within CW, i usually open the file in the editor directly.

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sistine said:

IMHO this is definitely a good example of a failed software design by Celemony (but they are by far not the only ones in that boat)!

they probably ran into support issues where too many custom configurations on the cache were eating up support folks time, dunno. just guessing, but it would be nice to restore the custom folder setting as well as default to the project folder when an ARA call is made so the project & cache are in the same location. might be something CW stopped supporting - i.e. passing the folder, or even possible Steinberg said no more folder name passing in VST3 LOL 🙂 

Edited by Glenn Stanton

1 hour ago, treesha said:

just curious what other products you know cache renderings

Pretty much any media application that has undo or auto-save functionality will have this. Most that can be opened in stand-alone mode will have these listed in preferences. Ironically, the caching eats up disc space (which may or may not auto-purge on close, but the path should be selectable/listed in preferences), but the undo levels eat up RAM in most cases and I have seen some apps default to 250 undos. I always set undo levels to 10, and if I go past that threshold I will close out the file without saving and open the last saved version. Cakewalk defaulted to 100 or even 250 undos (I cannot remember now), which is why "saving often" was the common trick to make the app run more smoothly.

High level, the media apps to check preferences on are DAWs, wav editors, graphics programs, video editors, etc. Some even go so far as to create an "auto preserve" file, which is a duplicate of the file you open before you start working, so that if you save a mistake you can still back out of it. Even apps with smaller files tend to do this (Word, Excel, etc.) but you don't notice that as much as the ones that work with massive (audio, graphics, video) files.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But now a minimum size for OS drive is 1TB so all this is not worth worrying about really. Have get over our W7 workflows.

I have just built a new computer back in November and have installed a ton of software and plug ins. It’s sitting at 10% and because nothing much is stored there as time goes on I doubt it will ever exceed 30% in its 3 year lifespan. Yes I will replace it then.  It will become a data drive. 

it's not the size that matters. um, well for some things it does 😉 , but more the concern should be: what happens if the disk breaks down or something in the complex microelectronics or software does something wrong?

corruption on large storage systems is certainly possible when using single hard disks  and SSD. so it might not matter until a bunch of old nff files somehow get mixed into your latest client delivery files during a disk optimize process or simply bad sectors and memory leaks resulting in bad writes, or power outage causing write caching to do the wrong thing -- resulting in many hours of clean up and recovery or worse sharing them in that condition. 

nothing wrong with an old workflow which keeps extraneous files cleaned up and projects etc backed up and recoverable.

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1