How do I prevent TTS-1 to be added automatically to MIDI-files?

Hey!

I'm using a hardware GM-synth connected to my default MIDI-port for GM stuff. I use this for a lot of vocal arrangement stuff that only needs MIDI-data. Since some time ago, every time I open a MIDI-file, CbB adds the TTS-1 software synth automatically, and I need to remove the synth track from the timeline, which is quite annoying.

Is there an option to disable this automatic TTS-1 assignment? If not, why not?

I don't know if there's an official way, but I just created a cwp file with a single, empty midi track and set the preferences to a hardware midi out port. I then went into a Windows folder and double clicked an old midi file I did in 1999.  TTS-1 did not open up; all tracks seem to be going to my designated MIDI Output port.  Although I have some old Roland GM/GS, I haven't hooked it up to test yet.  But based on the led on my midi interface, it should work.

I don't use cwt [template] files because I use cwps.  But maybe you can do the same with a cwt file.

CbB is loading TTS-1 because the GM/GS Wavetable is not longer supported in CbB so its MIDI port is not available and you have no other hardware MIDI ports available. If you don't want to use TTS-1, you'll need to get an external hardware GM sound module or a multitimbral keyboard synth with a GM mode.

This is simple. Choose any midi output that shows in preferences Midi devices. The TTS-1 only loads when nothing is selected. 
This is by design for people with hardware devices connected. 
Never import a midi file. You loose important data like tempo. Always open midi files. 
Importing is for existing projects to bring in midi tracks or clips. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

. . . went into a Windows folder and double clicked an old midi file I did in 1999.  TTS-1 did not open up; all tracks seem to be going to my designated MIDI Output port.  Although I have some old Roland GM/GS, I haven't hooked it up to test yet.  But based on the led on my midi interface, it should work.

Just like I said, it worked.  My tune played once I connected the midi out to a Roland M-GS64.

Next (after closing out my tune), I selected File > New and chose a default template that has no tracks or busses, and loaded in a midi file for Elgar's Pomp and Circumstances.  It has 17 tracks.  TTS-1 did not open. CbB played the midi file.

I don't understand what's so difficult about this.  It does what it has done for decades.  

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Anders Svensson said:

Hey!

I'm using a hardware GM-synth connected to my default MIDI-port for GM stuff. I use this for a lot of vocal arrangement stuff that only needs MIDI-data. Since some time ago, every time I open a MIDI-file, CbB adds the TTS-1 software synth automatically, and I need to remove the synth track from the timeline, which is quite annoying.

Is there an option to disable this automatic TTS-1 assignment? If not, why not?

I open MIDI files all the time in Cakewalk and the MIDI tracks it creates are always routed to my hardware MIDI device (which, in turn, is routed to my external Yamaha XG device)

In Preferences > MIDI > Instruments, do you have all channels listed under “Output/Channel”

I am assuming that your Hardware MIDI device is always enabled under Preferences - MIDI - Devices > Outputs.

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

I think you mean for people with NO hardware MIDI devices connected.

I was saying it is by design because this goes way back in time for Cakewalk/ Sonar.

If you are a hardware user, as most of us were not long ago, then you would always have a midi interface connected so all your midi files when opened automatically were sent there and played through the hardware. 

But if you didn’t have a midi interface or a USB midi device connected  one option was the  TTS-1 be loaded up.

But the GS wavetable synth often played because it was a Midi output option checked by default up until recently.

We had to always tell people to uncheck it so the TTS-1 would then open. 

So by design this is so people without Midi hardware would not complain about no sound. 

But many audio interfaces have midi ports that users are not using but they are checked as outputs. Those will prevent the TTS-1 from loading. 
The OP is the first one I’ve seen complaining in reverse. They simply need to check the box for their midi interface or if using USB midi devices leave them turned on before opening Cakewalk so it will connect them . 

Now we are getting complaints because the GS Wavetable has been removed from Cakewalk. If it was still there and checked the OP would be happy because no TTS-1 
It’s interesting that it is still available in other software. 

Edited by John Vere

7 minutes ago, John Vere said:

So by design this is so people without Midi hardware would not complain about no sound. 

Yes, by design for people without hardware; originally you wrote "people with hardware". That's what I was correcting

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

Or just let it load and delete it. You're going to have to point the tracks to other VSTs anyway so it a simple additional step.

Or simply right click the synth icon and choose Replace Synth

Edited by Bristol_Jonesey

4 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Or simply right click the synth icon and choose Replace Synth

That actually would not work with a midi file as they are generally multi track and instruments. 

Let’s just wait for the OP to return. They will probably freak out at how long the thread became 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1