When the World Falls Down

Kevin Walsh

1 hour ago, Supa Reels said:

Maybe a bit of compression on the guitar, just to keep it hot.. then check the vocal to see if you get a better mix .. great song, as usual Kevin.

Steve

Steve, thank you for chiming in, always great advice. I've been avoiding compression lately but there's no doubt sometimes you got to have it. I'll give that a try. Thank you for your feedback!

13 minutes ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Steve, thank you for chiming in, always great advice. I've been avoiding compression lately but there's no doubt sometimes you got to have it. I'll give that a try. Thank you for your feedback!

It can destroy a well made mix  but I know, in the right hands, it's a necessary evil. Just play with it and see if it makes a difference .. The Ca-2a That came with Plat is a great tool to start with, but don't stop there cause in the mixer section you have so much at your disposal .. don't wanna sound patronizing but I love your stuff esp the vocals ... I think it's worth a try ...

ATB

Steve

1 hour ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Another terrific song, Kevin!  The lyrics and vocal performance are haunting which gives me a somewhat dystopian feeling.  I like the fact that this mix sparkles but is not overly polished.  True grit!

I tend to go overboard with tape emulation, I peeled off a bunch before this mix and thought I'd have to pull more before all is said and done. Thanks for your encouraging words, Lynn!

2 hours ago, Supa Reels said:

It can destroy a well made mix  but I know, in the right hands, it's a necessary evil. Just play with it and see if it makes a difference .. The Ca-2a That came with Plat is a great tool to start with, but don't stop there cause in the mixer section you have so much at your disposal .. don't wanna sound patronizing but I love your stuff esp the vocals ... I think it's worth a try ...

ATB

Steve

Not patronizing in the least, your advice is most welcome, thank you!

Enjoyed it very much, good song, the vocals got a little lost here and there for me but sound great. A few consonant sounds I would melodyne lower.  Love the guitar but the opening guitar sustains sounds a little extra distorted/dirty and I like how the guitars sound everywhere else and don’t think I heard that tone again anywhere else.  2:31+ some distracting sounds not sure what. Anyways, another good one and mentions of a few things I noticed.

9 hours ago, treesha said:

Enjoyed it very much, good song, the vocals got a little lost here and there for me but sound great. A few consonant sounds I would melodyne lower.  Love the guitar but the opening guitar sustains sounds a little extra distorted/dirty and I like how the guitars sound everywhere else and don’t think I heard that tone again anywhere else.  2:31+ some distracting sounds not sure what. Anyways, another good one and mentions of a few things I noticed.

Great feedback, treesha, thanks for your great critical listening. I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment!

• Thanks 1

Well done Kevin.

Put a little parallel compression on you vocal... and then blend it in.
Or a little saturation.
Reckon your vocal will then pop!

Vocal to vocal buss.
New buss... vocal crush.. send vocal from you vocal track to vocal  crush  (smash the hell out of it) then blend in.

Edited by garybrun