Feature request: set default preset for VST plugins

GreenLight

It would be so very time-saving to be able to select a default preset for each and every VST plugin.

The preset would then always be the default loading state when a specific plugin is instantiated.

Please consider it for the new and flashy soon-to-be Sonar. :)

• Great Idea 2

That is totally dependent on the VSTi plugin, it has nothing to do with the DAW.

Some plugins can be resaved in their initial state with an instrument/preset initiated, but a smarter way to do it in CbB is to save an instrument track with a VSTi loaded into it as a track template and load it instead. 

• Like 5

yep, setting up your primary set of instruments all preset, routed, effects, etc etc in a template is the fastest way. i also use ## PRESETNAME to get my presets sorted floated to the top (a lot of the plugins seem to sort them, or stick them in weird places). so when i have a song with presets that i want to the top i'll use something like "00 AGUIT RHY 1" or "00 VOX DESS 1" etc etc saved to the top level of the presets (if it's an option). sometimes it very song specific (like a rhythm guitar) and other it's fairly generic to my vocals.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

I rarely use presets for VST's (vs VSTi's), but if I do have a particular one I like, I save it inside an FX chain. 

If you hold SHIFT when dragging from the browser to the FX bin, it automatically removes it from the FX chain with all the settings intact.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Many VST vendors already give you the option to set the Default plugin preset... You may also want to check out the Preset Librarian function in the Cakewalk Plugin Manager... It will let you import or export preset libraries for your vst plugins where you could probably also create you own default settings...

On 1/12/2024 at 11:32 PM, msmcleod said:

I rarely use presets for VST's (vs VSTi's), but if I do have a particular one I like, I save it inside an FX chain. 

If you hold SHIFT when dragging from the browser to the FX bin, it automatically removes it from the FX chain with all the settings intact.

Thanks for your input! Interesting, but I'm not sure I follow - what do you drag from the browser to the FX bin? The FX chain .fxc settings file?

Thanks for the input, guys! I hear you, it's not possible right now.

The use case for VST default presets

Sure, I use project templates and track templates. And of course beginners in music technology don't realize that there are many settings that are unfeasible to store in presets, a compressor's threshold being a prime example. But it would still be time-saving if, say, your favorite compressor can come with a pre-configured ratio and other settings that you often use, or if your EQ can be set with a specific low-cut setting that you almost always use.

The competition / similar features in existing hosts

Both Cubase  (more info) and Live (timestamped YouTube link) have the feature to save default presets, see links and pictures below. Admittedly, I believe it's only for their built-in effects, but still.

In Live, third-party VST settings can be saved as presets that are visible in the Browser just like VST plugins. This makes it almost transparent: instead of dragging a VST you might as well drag a configuration file to the track. Same end result achieved.

Cubase - Save as Default Preset

image.png.a1ac1d029d1157b487bdcee156c78860.png

Live - Save as Default Configuration

image.png.6e2645d896f8b74ea20d4a02b8f2fd87.png

Hypothetical Sonar feature: save VST default preset

So let's think outside the box for a minute. :)

• Cakewalk can obviously save VST plugin settings in projects. So why not create a system where settings can be saved globally, to be used for default instances?
  • Put "Save as default preset" option in the VST top-bar menu (GUI mockup will be added soon)
  • A few hypothetical solutions to using default presets for third party VST:s
    • Associate a  specific preset name ("Sonar default preset") within plugins for Sonar to automatically load whenever that plugin is instantiated
    • Or if the above isn't feasible, Sonar could save the default preset settings externally from the plugin, and make Sonar keep track of associated presets and load them at plugin instantiation.  These settings could be ignored whenever the plugin version is updated, to ensure compatibility.

I think we need to innovate with new and workflow enhancing feature to keep up in the DAW space! 😁

2 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

I am wondering how CW could get the VST(i) to load the preset. Seems it would require the VST(i) developersto make some changes. I like the idea but implementing it might need to be pushed in VST4.

Cakewalk can load VST presets saved with projects - I'm thinking this could be implemented in a similar way. The settings wouldn't necessarily have to be stored as a preset inside the VST.

i save presets all the time. not sure why it seems to be a struggle.

in fact it's a good habit to save a preset once you find a setting you like for a given FX or instrument. i only have maybe 3 or 4 FX and VI which don't support saving them. and within a project, and whatever your last settings were when you saved it, generally, will be there when you re-open it.

of course for safety's sake, making copious notes about the project (prefer in a text file and/or modern note taking app which may allow screenshots) is future proofing (and in some cases, mandated by clients and professionals downstream of your work).

For VSTi instruments that you want to load a default preset you can save it as a "Track Template" with the preset that you want to use or as your go to... Then instead of inserting your VSTi from the Browser or Synth Rack you insert it as a track template by right clicking in either the Track View or Console View... If you use this route your can also save any VST Fx that you always use with the said instrument in the template...

Edited by SirWillyDS12
spelling -1

All you need to do is just overwrite the current preset. All my plugins Default presets have been overwritten for me to start off with a "Clean/Empty" preset everytime I load it. 

57 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i save presets all the time. not sure why it seems to be a struggle.

in fact it's a good habit to save a preset once you find a setting you like for a given FX or instrument. i only have maybe 3 or 4 FX and VI which don't support saving them. and within a project, and whatever your last settings were when you saved it, generally, will be there when you re-open it.

of course for safety's sake, making copious notes about the project (prefer in a text file and/or modern note taking app which may allow screenshots) is future proofing (and in some cases, mandated by clients and professionals downstream of your work).

Maybe I misunderstood you, but I don't think preset saving is a struggle for people? Exactly as you do, I save presets to the project folder all the time to future-proof projects. I save them to either .fxp (VST2) or .vstpreset (VST3) files in the file system. It's a good habit!

My feature request is about saving/restoring "initial settings" for VST effects, to speed up workflow by getting a flying start when inserting a new VST plugin. :)

the "default" preset - actually a fair amount of my plugins have a "set as default" for presets and even the Pro Channel as a "set as default" option. and if you name your presets with ## <PRESETNAME> you can force sorting on the presets so even if there is not "default" find your own default in the list is super easy and fast - 000 DEFEAULT is at the top of my list even if i have a "set as default" option -- why? -- because after i select another to see if i like it better (and perhaps a better request is all VST have A/B option) i can rapidly switch back to my default...

@Glenn Stanton My feature request concerns the plugins that don't have a "Set as default" setting that you mention, so that you (and I, and everyone else) don't have to select a default preset manually like you describe. I'm trying to make Cakewalk/Sonar faster for us all, removing one click at a time! :)

@Terry Kelley Yes, semantics are interesting! :) But the basic aim of my request was to not always have to manually set initial settings each time you instantiate your plugins, like ratio, attack and other compressor settings on your compressor plugin (and similar for other types of plugins). It's nice to immediately have a useful starting point by default, minimizing clicks. Obviously you always have to fine-tune stuff manually. Check out the Cubase and Live screenshots above.

This only concerns plugins that don't have a "Save as default" settings, like those Glenn Stanton refers to. :) My request doesn't concern VST instruments.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

Yes, that plays to my point. The CW developers don't have access to that part of the VST to make it happen. The VST developers need to do something first.

and since that day is when Hades freezes over, my suggestion is for VST which don't support it (and anytime soon unless the developers have it in their roadmap), is to leverage things like templates, FX groupings (Waves, Cakewalk etc), and preset naming to enable rapid work. at the end of the day, if you're using something consistently in every project, just add it to your template and be done.

oh, and nag the developers of your VST to get with the program, the, ah, erm, default program... 😉 

Yep.

If the the VST loads a default preset that CW can alter then it's just a matter of them hunting down that preset and changing it's content. But if default is hard coded, well that would take just a tad more work. ;)

It's snark people. I don't actually believe it something they should spend their time on ... unless they already are and then I full support their efforts ...

Edited by Terry Kelley

• 2 months later...

I resave the default to where I want to start.  Don’t know why but it takes 2 saves sometimes for it to stick. Some brands don’t work with this, some do. A global default would be nice. You could use FX chains or track templates to save a default setting.