Soundpaint 3.0 Released

Brian Lawler

11 hours ago, jeffdrawscomics said:

This looks like an interesting update.  Looking forward to playing with the color mode.  I like how it changed the saxophone in the demo video. 

+1. The color mode sounds like a ton of fun to play with. It might actually get me back to spending some time with Soundpaint. I moved the standalone program icon to a seldom accessed folder and forgot about it. Maybe it's time to bring it back to the desktop.

• Like 1

Yes, I consult to this company, but I'm a user of this stuff and find this advancement of the plugin a fascinating evolution. That walkthrough video gives you a good idea.  As far as the concern over file sizes that satya expressed, that is something I would like to explore with the SoundPaint (8Dio) folks. Their roots are serving pros and making very detailed libraries,  and that,  of course,  results in very large file sizes. But my instincts are that there's a fair amount of hobbyists who want "deep sampled" libraries to a certain degree,  but not necessarily at the same degree as pros. Even more, when you look at SoundPaint’s mission of bringing high end, deep sampled libraries at a very low price point, it's very likely to attract many hobbyist users on a tight budget who likely can't afford huge file sizes (that is, the storage devices for large libraries,  which can quickly add up). 

For example,  a pro composer or a hobbyist perfectionist may insist upon pedal up and pedal down samples for piano libraries, a lot of velocity layers and mic options and is okay with the resulting very large file size -- let's say 25 GB for this example --whereas a hobbyist may not want to sacrifice the large amount of file space that detail requires and be willing to make compromises to keep the file size under 10GB. That's why I think it's a really good idea when SoundPaint offers customers the option of Ultra Deep Sampled libraries versus standard definition (okay, I'm not sure if that's the exact name they use, but that's the idea). I think it would be ideal to offer that for more libraries once they hit a certain file size. I think there's also a psychological factor that comes from the developer radically bringing down prices on deep sampled libraries. It results in hobbyists who've never considered libraries at this quality level and file sizes and may be resistant to larger file sizes -- especially given the price. 

I think it's worth conducting research to find out how important all of this is to the various customer groups they serve. I'd be very interested in getting people's thoughts on this, so please share your thoughts. I promise to make the SoundPaint folks aware of them. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Yes, I consult to this company, but I'm a user of this stuff and find this advancement of the plugin a fascinating evolution. That walkthrough video gives you a good idea.  As far as the concern over file sizes that satya expressed, that is something I would like to explore with the SoundPaint (8Dio) folks. Their roots are serving pros and making very detailed libraries,  and that,  of course,  results in very large file sizes. But my instincts are that there's a fair amount of hobbyists who want "deep sampled" libraries to a certain degree,  but not necessarily at the same degree as pros. Even more, when you look at SoundPaint’s mission of bringing high end, deep sampled libraries at a very low price point, it's very likely to attract many hobbyist users on a tight budget who likely can't afford huge file sizes (that is, the storage devices for large libraries,  which can quickly add up). 

For example,  a pro composer or a hobbyist perfectionist may insist upon pedal up and pedal down samples for piano libraries, a lot of velocity layers and mic options and is okay with the resulting very large file size -- let's say 25 GB for this example --whereas a hobbyist may not want to sacrifice the large amount of file space that detail requires and be willing to make compromises to keep the file size under 10GB. That's why I think it's a really good idea when SoundPaint offers customers the option of Ultra Deep Sampled libraries versus standard definition (okay, I'm not sure if that's the exact name they use, but that's the idea). I think it would be ideal to offer that for more libraries once they hit a certain file size. I think there's also a psychological factor that comes from the developer radically bringing down prices on deep sampled libraries. It results in hobbyists who've never considered libraries at this quality level and file sizes and may be resistant to larger file sizes -- especially given the price. 

I think it's worth conducting research to find out how important all of this is to the various customer groups they serve. I'd be very interested in getting people's thoughts on this, so please share your thoughts. I promise to make the SoundPaint folks aware of them. 

That's why I avoid them.  I bet they are aware a it's not on the top right now.