Track View vs Console View

Pathfinder

Full disclosure-I have had and used CW Since before CWPA 9, so long time. BUT, big BUT, I never really recorded. I always was playing out in bands but also in duo's and trio's. I used CW for creating my own backing tracks. This is part of the reason I am lacking lots of little details.

My question: Now I am ONLY recording- I have a zillion backing tracks saved. I ALWAYS used Track View exclusively. At this late stage (recording only) is it worth trying to switch to using the console view, like I am guessing most folks do for recording?

good question for me I think and this is where to ask.

Thanks so much folks

Frank aka Pathfinder

+1 to the above, a big advantage to the console is capturing automation far more easily than you can in track view, but it requires some real estate to work with both open. Another option to consider if low on real estate is to open and undock the Navigator to give you quick access to the timeline visually. A big part of things is playing around and finding what you feel most comfortable with, but there are pros/cons to all views.

• Like 1

Two monitors for sure and definitely console view for everything once tracking is finished.
So much easier to see everything because track view is stacked horizontally you can only see so many channels. Console view shows more channels plus the all important bus pane. 
You can also quickly see what effects are being used and if the pro channel is on. 
Anyone who is used to a real mixer will feel more at home. 

• Like 3

Someday when I’m rich I’m gunna buy a huge touch screen monitor and lay it flat on the desk just for the console. I guess I could buy a controller.

Apparently my Yamaha o1v can be used as a controller because it has midi ports. I’ve never tried it and I even have an old software app that was made for X1 I got from the Yahoo user group long ago. 
I used to automate it from my Atari. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

I will see if I can make room for a second monitor-my graphics card and PC will definitely take it-Thanks to all

I'll be another one, record and mix since 'Cake proaudio days, always in track view. In particular is having the mix automation right there on the track -and/or bus lanes, any and all FX/Faders and mix elements over on the left.

Oh, came up on tape and mixer prior to the DAW for what it's worth :>)

Edited by Wayne Smith
  • Like 1

100% TV for the same reasons as @Wayne Smith - everything in one place.  I'd quite like a Meters View (literally just track meters - ie. CV without all the controls), but can easily survive without it (things like the option to show bus waveforms is probably not that well known about but reduces the need for meters during playback).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Xoo said:

100% TV for the same reasons as @Wayne Smith - everything in one place.  I'd quite like a Meters View (literally just track meters - ie. CV without all the controls), but can easily survive without it (things like the option to show bus waveforms is probably not that well known about but reduces the need for meters during playback).

It's easy to configure CV just to show the faders

Console5.thumb.jpg.e08127a834be4ad2669fc3594fafb4f7.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

It's easy to configure CV just to show the faders

Console5.thumb.jpg.e08127a834be4ad2669fc3594fafb4f7.jpg

That’s funny because that the part I actually don’t use. I set all faders at unity. I use the Gain/ instruments outputs and compressors to set target levels. Only faders that are not at unity are automated tracks. 
But I like to use the console view for mixing because it feels better.  More like you actually at a mixing board.  

7 hours ago, Xoo said:

I do 16 track band recording on one screen, left pane in that mode set only with what's needed, record meters placed  horizontal -range set just enough so record levels pop up and in at -24 or so. 🙂

Edited by Wayne Smith

Well, still don't have room for the 2nd monitor yet, although I do have the monitor itself-Samsung 27" 4K. It's not as big as my main monitor which is a new LG 32" 4k etc (still not huge I know).

So CV was certainly different and I am not sure it is for me-way too many years with TV. But I am giving it a shot for mixing. With 2 monitors I think I would like having both-well I know I would. Going to try this week to figure a way to make room for both.
I truly appreciate all the help and comments.

You know the real old CW forums were really my first time living and learning on a forum. To this day if asked I would say that the CW forums and the Fractal Audio forums are the most helpful forums I have ever used. CWQ since the 90's and Fractal since 2009.   🙂 

Edited by Pathfinder
  • Like 4