Martha My Dear cover

bmarlowe

Thanks. Yeah I can't sing, just do guitar and bass guitar. My son played all the keyboard parts. He can sing but didn't want to. There were a lot of parts to this even without vocals. Was hard (for me) to mix and keep all the instruments distinct.

Thx Steve for listening so closely. I was inspired to try posting this here when I heard your excellent version of "For No One."

So do you mean the solo piano part, 13 secs from the start of the song? I am working from the transcription in "The Beatles Complete Scores," 1989. It is not without mistakes (nor am I).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's been a while, but I have remixed this and fixed an error in the melody line at 00:31 and 02:10. I've replaced my Sound Canvas cello and viola  with  Spitfire audio Abbey Road 2.

Referencing the comment by steve@baselines.com, there is no Cm chord in this song, so I still don't know what he is referring to.  Right at the start there is an Eb chord (2 beats) followed by a D chord (2 beats). I play Eb notes over the Eb chord and a D note coincident to when the D chord starts. A bit later (~15 secs) I play an Eb note over an Ab-add-9 chord. I believe this is all correct and sounds right to me.

Edited by bmarlowe

Nice. I once played at least the intro on this song. Sounds perhaps a bit too quantizised but very true that the original which shows the awesome quality of the composition. Martha must have been a very inspiring dog.

Posted (edited)

Thanks equality and Bjorn.  Yeah the drums (programmed, not played) are quantized dead on. The piano and horns (synths) are very close to dead on. The audio (guitar and bass guitar) are not perfectly quantized but I do multiple take lanes until I can assemble a track with all timing within 5-8 ms.

I know the timing for midi can be randomized to sound more natural - but I have never gotten results I like. I think I hear things that are early or late and I end up trying to fix them. I kind of have OCD about this.

Edited by bmarlowe

On 11/22/2023 at 10:25 PM, bmarlowe said:

Thx Steve for listening so closely. I was inspired to try posting this here when I heard your excellent version of "For No One."

So do you mean the solo piano part, 13 secs from the start of the song? I am working from the transcription in "The Beatles Complete Scores," 1989. It is not without mistakes (nor am I).

Hi - Thanks for your comment about 'For No One'!  Yes it is that one note at about 13sec - I hear it again at about 1:32.  I recorded a version of this a while back with some help from people on Bandlab.  https://baselines.com/?p=5564

Hey Steve - thx so very much. The vocal in your version is pretty stunning and the piano dynamics are perfect.

I believe I found what you pointed out after a closer listen to the original. The 1 measure sequence played over Bb Ab major chords, 2 beats each as published in the transcription goes:

Ab5 Ab5 G5 F5 | Eb5 Ab4 C Eb5 G4 Eb5

This does sound good to me (Eb played over an Ab major chord) and that may be why the transcriber heard it that way.

What I think you say is correct is:

Ab5 Ab5 G5 F5 D Ab4 C Eb5 G4 Eb5

If I do that I also have to fix the left hand piano part

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bmarlowe said:

Hey Steve - thx so very much. The vocal in your version is pretty stunning and the piano dynamics are perfect.

I believe I found what you pointed out after a closer listen to the original. The 1 measure sequence played over Bb Ab major chords, 2 beats each as published in the transcription goes:

Ab5 Ab5 G5 F5 | Eb5 Ab4 C Eb5 G4 Eb5

This does sound good to me (Eb played over an Ab major chord) and that may be why the transcriber heard it that way.

What I think you say is correct is:

Ab5 Ab5 G5 F5 D Ab4 C Eb5 G4 Eb5

If I do that I also have to fix the left hand piano part

That's the one!  But I think you just keep the bass like you have.

That section starts with a b flat 7 / B flat in the bass (octave bounce) - The d note then hits by itself quickly followed by an A flat in the bass (octave bounce) which kind of turns the chord into an A flat maj 7.

Don't mind me - I like to keep covers true to the original...some people don't care one way or the other, but particularly with the Beatles, I like to keep them true.

Steve

Your son did a fine job on the keys. I see, and appreciate, the work that went into this.

t

your thinking "did he like and comment over ta SC?" You'll have to have a look.
Perhaps take the opportunity to do the same?

Edited by DeeringAmps