Take advantage of the Black Friday deals and save your eyes!

craigb

As some of you may know, I stare at a computer screen a LOT for programming, image design and (once upon a time) for music creation.

I can't stress enough what a HUGE help having a 40" 4k TV as my monitor has been!  Sure, I can also play videos at 4k on it and watch actual TV (if I still did), but I usually just keep it at 2k resolution and use it as my computer monitor.  Until you try it you may think it's too large to  use as a monitor, but I guarantee you that once you've used it for even just a short time, you will NOT want to go back!

I was just looking at several stores (like Best Buy, Costco, Walmart, Newegg, etc.) and, it appears, that 40" TV's no longer exist as most are 43" (or larger).  That said, I'm seeing decent name brands going for under $200 as Black Friday specials!!! 😮

Larger versions of what I use (I have a Samsung) are under $250.

Too bad I was too late to get in on this one!  $99.99??  Are you kidding me???  I couldn't care less that it was a clearance! 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-43-class-q60a-series-qled-4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6453192.p?skuId=6453192

Here are three going for $189.99 at Best Buy:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-43-class-c350-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-fire-tv/6532119.p?skuId=6532119

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/westinghouse-43-4k-uhd-smart-roku-tv-with-hdr/6489041.p?skuId=6489041

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-43-class-led-4k-uhd-smart-xumo-tv/6543645.p?skuId=6543645

I power mine with just the on-board graphics that came with my (Jim Roseberry created 😁) computer.  No expensive video card needed for what I do.  I did get a sound bar with a subwoofer, but this is still FAR cheaper than getting a dedicated monitor.

Just sayin'!!!

3 hours ago, craigb said:

Until you try it you may think it's too large to  use as a monitor, but I guarantee you that once you've used it for even just a short time, you will NOT want to go back!

Tried it, hated it.

I take it your guarantee will now compensate me in some way ? :)

6 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

I find interesting that people get those 4k panels and nulify all the advantages of having that much screen area by zooming stuff by 150%, 200% or more.

Just noticed I had said 2k, I actually keep it at 4k and zoom in 125%.  That said, you're missing the fact that everything is bigger and easier on old eyes.

The old plasma I inherited from a friend is dying on me so I had to get a new tv. It had been getting worse and worse fo the last few weeks, but I was hoping to be able to wait until BF, but it doesn't look like it will last until then.

Got a 50" for $199.99 - had had my eyes on it for a while and it was listed at $299.99, but the price went down last weekend. Quite the coincidence. 

Hard to believe how inexpensive these things have become. 

For the studio, the recent upgrade also meant moving from 23 to 27. Considering the distance between my eyes and the screen, ergonomically speaking, that is as good as it gets. 

I've been using my TV as a monitor now for years. I can't remember if it's 40 or 43.

I tried multiple TVs. I had a high end 65" Samsung, a cheap $230 65" LG I got on sale at Sams Club, and an even cheaper 40(43?) Vizio. Sam's Club is a great place to buy really good cheap TVs btw.

The only one that would connect to a PC in 2K @ 120hz was the cheap Vizio. The others locked down at 2K/60hz when connected to my PC even though they are 120hz capable and it made a very noticeable difference.

On a side note, I bought a used older fairly decent video card that is capable of connecting to it in 4K UHD. One interesting thing I noticed is, I can stream in 8K and it doesn't take any more bandwidth than 4K. No buffering, no stuttering. And the TV recognized it as a UHD video even though it is a 4K TV. It pops up a little symbol on the screen when it kicks in to 4K mode.

And your next question is who the heck offers true 8K streaming. Youtube. 😁 The 8K option doesn't show up in options on a video unless you have a TV or video card capable or 8K. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I followed my own advice!  In addition to a nice, 43" 4k TV (that replaces two very old monitors that were dying - heck, they aren't even from this millennium! 😮), I picked up a new office chair (LOVE IT!) and a few other things.

Yep, I'm broke again! 😂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, craigb said:

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I followed my own advice!  In addition to a nice, 43" 4k TV (that replaces two very old monitors that were dying - heck, they aren't even from this millennium! 😮), I picked up a new office chair (LOVE IT!) and a few other things.

Yep, I'm broke again! 😂

I took advantage of 2 streaming services that were having B.F. deals. In the end I ended up paying $6/month for 12 months for 2 services. I can't complain about that.

Totally agree with you on using a big TV as a monitor! I made the switch a while back, and it's a game-changer for work and entertainment. The extra screen real estate is awesome, especially for multitasking. And those Black Friday deals you found are a steal!

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 3:40 PM, craigb said:

Just noticed I had said 2k, I actually keep it at 4k and zoom in 125%.  That said, you're missing the fact that everything is bigger and easier on old eyes.

It's more that I'm trusting developers less and less they'll get scaling right. It's either too big or too small or the scaling value which would be right for you is not available.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 1:40 PM, craigb said:

@craigb

Does the NAD+ help with that? This summer they had a sale on it on Amzon. 50% off if you bought 4 or more so I got 4.

I just started taking it regularly again for about a month. I think it actually improved, but it could just be my imagination. 100% for sure it reduces my Tinnitus.

One of my neighbors got a 40 something inch Vizio 4K TV for $137 on Black Friday. I'm impressed at how good they are for the price.

41 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

@craigb

Does the NAD+ help with that?

You need this, but taking it directly tends to not be that effective because we're meant to recycle what we have and that requires both enough of the precursors as well as efficient recycling which declines as we get older.

Check out this doctor's explanation: