I knew buying a turntable was a bad idea...

Rain

I’m not very good at spending money on stuff for myself. I’ve finally replaced the 9 year old dying Mac in July after a year of postponing and calculating and reassessing, and I was pressured to make a move because the upgrade options were getting fewer and more expensive by the hour. Otherwise, who knows how much longer I would have stalled…

But a few weeks ago, I felt an urge to listen to Back in Black on vinyl, so I bought the album on Amazon. And a turntable to play it.

Well, that was like opening the floodgates.

Amazon must be very happy with me, as I’ve been re-building the record collection at a rather fast pace (especially for someone usually so careful with money). I find myself constantly looking for the next vinyl, and I have a bunch of them in my cart at all time. My last catch is a 45 rpm/2 discs version of Sad Wings of Destiny that I found on eBay. Sealed. With the embossed cover. Cool stuff.

I’ve always looked fondly on the good old days when I’d put on a record and just lie on my back on the floor and listen. Used to be my favorite thing as a kid - putting the headphones on and listening to 8 tracks. That set up makes it easier to do just that. No display, no smart phone, just me and that one record that I pick. Also seems easier to commit to an entire album too - you can’t just scroll and click on something else.

That’s been my thing after work recently. Try and listen to an album a day - instead of just having music playing in the background while I do chores or look up stuff on the internet. Hadn’t really done that since the 90’s.

Amusing, considering that I'd done away with vinyls, CDs and tapes all those years ago and embraced the digital era. I sold my entire collection in 2004, although I did start buying CDs again after settling here in 2013. I'd simply import them on the computer and store them.

And so now I’m looking into CD players, for the same purpose. But since hipsters don’t think CDs are cool, CD players are a lot harder to find and a lot more expensive than a relatively decent turntable.

376236236_10160076143317582_5167727933167670727_n.thumb.jpg.f86c27d8878c360b0990d33aa143c435.jpg

Edited by Rain
  • Like 4

Yeah, I got my wife a record player for Christmas  last year. And I too abandoned records long ago. But I gotta admit, there is something special about putting an album on and just letting it play and sitting there listening to the whole thing. We had not done that since we were in our twenties.  

Hell, I hadn't done that since I quit my cannabis indulgence!

• Like 1

I was at a high end audio shop in KC one time a few years ago.

I heard one of these ...

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/turntables/MT10

Through one of these ...

https://hifiplus.com/articles/mcintosh-ma5200-integrated-amplifier/

Over a pair of these (with a sub but I dont remember what it was) ...

https://magnepan.com/collections/floor-standing/products/magnepan-lrs-1

Nothing I've ever heard before or since even comes close. You could actually hear where everyone was standing/mixed in the sound stage. It was as if you could get up and walk around and go to where everyone was at. It was astounding.

BTW I looked online to see if Ritchie is still there. He is, but I see he hasn't changed based on his reviews. Expect to bring a wallet with 6 credit cards. Hah.

I've been hitting the local thrift stores. I've got my collection up over 300 LPs. I lost my 700+ collection whne my basement flooded many years ago. I refuse to pay any more than a $1 per LP.

I also made my own LP cleaning system. If I can find the pics I'll post them some time.

Turntable question......

Mine has just started playing up... It was fine the last time I used it (a few months maybe) but when I tried to use the other day the speed is all over the place. It's not a belt issue because there isn't one. I know nothing about it as I was given it by someone who has moved away now. Is this likely to be a fixable (assuming that I can find anyone who fixes them) or is it just junk now?

FWIW Toshiba SR-Q660...

toshiba_sr-q660.jpg

Edited by paulo

31 minutes ago, paulo said:

Turntable question......

Mine has just started playing up... It was fine the last time I used it (a few months maybe) but when I tried to use the other day the speed is all over the place. It's not a belt issue because there isn't one. I know nothing about it as I was given it by someone who has moved away now. Is this likely to be a fixable (assuming that I can find anyone who fixes them) or is it just junk now?

FWIW Toshiba SR-Q660...

toshiba_sr-q660.jpg

Could be dust inside the contacts of the speed control knob. Spin it all the way back and forth a bunch of times really fast to see if the speed variation changes or it may fix it. Sometimes if it's old it can be a bad capacitor in the speed control circuit. They go bad over time. Motor going bad. There really isn't much to them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

nice, but you didn't mention room treatment? not worth the money if you're playing it back in a box

There really wasn't any room treatment. Just a bunch of amps and speakers in a big open room so you could compare them.  Thats some serious money your talking about with those items I linked to. That's beyond the grasp of most people. Although Magnapan is making affordable speaker versions now. I think, not sure, the ones I linked to are $1,000 a pair. The two things I noticed were the imaging which was more the speakers probably and the lack of distortion from the amp. 

I can only guess that designing a very low distortion amp is a lot harder and more costly than building a high wattage amp. I A/B'd it with other amps and the clarity was night and day. I never really understood what they meant by "distortion" in the amp specs until I could actually hear the difference.

I, for one, do not miss all the hiss and static, the short play times and having to replace the records often because I had played them until they were flat!

As a DJ (late 1980 thru late 1983), we were required to hold each record and look at it across the grooves.  If the surfaces was a dark and shiny black, we played it.  If it was dull and gray, it meant the grooves were gone and the record was flat.  Those were noted in our log (so the program manager could replace it) and tossed.

Oh, and, yes, I could spin a record on my finger tip while fading in another with my other hand! It looked really cool for those looking into the DJ booth. 😎

• Like 1

i do not miss the vinyl sound.

i DO miss that ritual of opening up the album, taking it out, putting it on the platter, setting the needle, 

kicking back with the album art, and just listen. for, about, what, 20 minutes?! LOL, then have to get up, flip it, and do it all over again...

but i never thought vinyl was very accurate. noisy. 

and if you didn't have your turntable far enough away, or, in my case, floating in the air riding on a macrame sling, 

the low end would make the needle jump!! 

how annoying...

i bought a nice Yamaha Natural sound receiver, cd player and tape player set back in 1980, gave it to my parents, 20 years later, i had it back, and still have it!

i rip my own albums from my cd collection, and i have a hundred cassettes that STILL play, but no vinyl.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

@Rain

Have you stopped in to see Ritchie at Wax Tracks lately? Hah. I don't know if you remember our conversation quite a few years back about him. I knew him when he was in PA but he moved out there by you. He has to be up there in years now. He may not even be around anymore.

I seem to remember something like that yes! 

I should go visit that place sometime - admitting that I ever manage to find the will to leave this house.