Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S MK3

satya

https://www.thomann.de/intl/native_instruments_komplete_kontrol_s49_mk3.htm

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/keyboards/kontrol-s49-s61-s88/

The new Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S MK3 series arrives with completely overhauled hardware, polyphonic aftertouch, next-generation NKS implementation, and other new features. The NI Komplete Kontrol S MK3 series keyboard controllers are now available!

Like before, the NI Komplete Kontrol S MK3 series is available in three different keyboard sizes. You can choose from semi-weighted models with 49 or 61 keys, or the 88-key variant with hammer-action keys. According to NI, the all-new keybeds were developed in collaboration with Fatar. The biggest news is obviously that all three variants now support poly pressure, which opens up new performance opportunities with compatible software synths and instruments.

The keyboard controllers come with a comprehensive software package. In addition to Komplete 14 Select and the Komplete Kontrol software, you’ll receive copies of Stradivari Cello, Hypha, Guitar Rig LE, iZotope Elements Suite, and Ableton Live Lite.

The new Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S MK3 series is now available at Thomann. Prices range from €749.00 for the 49-key model* to €849.00 for 61 keys* to €1299.00 for the 88-key version*.

Edited by satya
  • Like 3

Poly aftertouch and pressure sensors is like 66% of MPE. Combined with the hammer action on the S88, that's an insane feature set and probably unique on the market right now.

The prices for the S49 and S61 are still however not justified unless you for some reason absolutely love NKS.

Full-color glass display

Fatar keyboard with polyphonic aftertouch as standard

Metal-touch pitch and modulation wheels with central illumination

Hardware/software integration with direct connection to Kontakt helps you find, adjust, and play sounds quickly and easily

Integration with all major DAWs lets you control transport and mixing commands directly from the keyboard: record, stop, rewind, mix, edit, and see project channels on the display

Precision tweaking for all your sounds, pre-mapped to key instrument and effect parameters

Redesigned Light Guide pinpoints notes with a light above each key

USB, MIDI, and (YES!) bus-powered USB-C connectivity plus inputs for four pedals: one sustain, one expression, and two assignable pedals

I count 18 buttons on this.  There are 28 buttons on my S88 MK2. They removed five buttons between the left screen and the preset buttons. These are normally not lit, but if you load Maschine 2 software in your DAW (which NI sells to people without Maschines) they all light up: Scene, Pattern, Track, Key Mode, and Clear. With those buttons and the keyboard, you have a lot of Maschine functionality. It's not as good as having a Maschine, of course. I'm sure very few people use them, but I do and I'm not parting with my S88 MK2.

No idea exactly what the other five buttons were.

A lot of things that are marked as NEW in this video are already present.  DIN plugs!!!!!!!

I'm very relieved that I don't have to buy this!  Very scared it would be way better.  It's only a touch better, in some ways.  The knobs change color to match the libraries.  Woo hoo!  😄 But not worth it to me for the cost.

I mean, I have a little ROLI if I want MPE.  It's not something I do all the time. 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All the Maschine buttons are gone, which is perfectly fine by me. And the screen is finally fully usable with usb-c without the need for a separate adapter. Still very much in love with my Mk1 OLED screens, but this new one is quite alluring. 
Should go for under $500 though. Or I’ll get it with a free upgrade to KU15CE :)

• Great Idea 1

Every one of these I've seen in studios has burned out colored LED lights, at least one wonky key, and some problem with the display. (usually one side has color issues). And the keybeds are all dog**** compared to the competion. ****, the SL88 Studio (let alone the Grand) has a better keybed than the S88 MKII and it's like 1/3 the price lol. I doubt this will be an improvement. And there's no point in comparing what keybed this uses vs. a competitor - the exact same keybed can feel totally different on different controllers depending on the housing. People throw around these "Fatar" and "full weighted hammer action!" terms like they mean anything without context. Believe it or not, there are actual real pianos that play like crap too. 

Never underestimate a consumers ability to spend money on useless features / eye candy over durability & usability of core components (i.e. the actual keybed!).  You know they're all about durability and efficiency when they wire LED lights onto the pitch and mod wheels when a paint stripe has worked fine for decades.

These things have "will be broken in a year and have no resale value" written all over it. And they'll sell a gazillion of them. Haha.

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Meh 1