After latest update, cannot view top tracks

Harley Dear

Hi all

I just updated Cakewalk and now I can't see the top tracks at all ( along with the MIDI data ) , plus can't see tracks 10 and 11 which also have the midi data.

In addition, if I try and display MIDI in the strips command on the Console, the MIDI consoles don't show either.

The file plays fine so all the data is there. It just seems that any track with MIDI data can't display.

Is this a bug or do I have to do something to get the MIDI track views back?

image.thumb.png.96e0e4a263f1200630b31f09ed1f1980.png

image.png.3aef1a88492ccc643ee9d76766752271.png

image.png.71657f83689b062ea3d30247dd2f6cfb.png

image.png.6ad9444ecc0a4a4237654233d1b6433f.png

Edited by Harley Dear

1 hour ago, Harley Dear said:

Hi all

I just updated Cakewalk and now I can't see the top tracks at all ( along with the MIDI data ) , plus can't see tracks 10 and 11 which also have the midi data.

In addition, if I try and display MIDI in the strips command on the Console, the MIDI consoles don't show either.

The file plays fine so all the data is there. It just seems that any track with MIDI data can't display.

Is this a bug or do I have to do something to get the MIDI track views back?

image.thumb.png.96e0e4a263f1200630b31f09ed1f1980.png

image.png.3aef1a88492ccc643ee9d76766752271.png

image.png.71657f83689b062ea3d30247dd2f6cfb.png

image.png.6ad9444ecc0a4a4237654233d1b6433f.png

Whatever you do, dont save that project in its current state. You might lose the data to the project even if it has been backed up in the project folder. 

Run the install again. 

Well, things get more weird.

I re-installed as you recommended Will. I still get the MIDI tracks not showing

I then press H as Bristol-Jonesy said and I get this 

image.png.06775445c7cb930635f81f539dfbd3ba.png

image.thumb.png.91770b562e8e79aa6e1c54e92224e34e.png

After checking all the tracks, the MIDI tracks finally show up. I save the file ( I have master back-ups elsewhere ), close it down.

However, when I re-open it , the MIDI files do not show again AArhghhhh! What a nuisance.

1 hour ago, Harley Dear said:

Well, things get more weird.

I re-installed as you recommended Will. I still get the MIDI tracks not showing

I then press H as Bristol-Jonesy said and I get this 

image.png.06775445c7cb930635f81f539dfbd3ba.png

image.thumb.png.91770b562e8e79aa6e1c54e92224e34e.png

After checking all the tracks, the MIDI tracks finally show up. I save the file ( I have master back-ups elsewhere ), close it down.

However, when I re-open it , the MIDI files do not show again AArhghhhh! What a nuisance.

Did you save the project after unhiding them?  The hidden state is saved with the project.

6 minutes ago, Harley Dear said:

Yes I did. It still came up with the tracks hidden when re-opening.

Interesting - can you PM me a copy of your cwp file?  I'll investigate further.

In the meantime, check your workspace settings and see if setting it to "None" solves the issue.

wow, this one was a tricky one to track down!

Ok - here's the cause:

You've got MIDI strips unchecked in the console view, but also you've got "Keep track/console visibility states in sync" checked:

image.png.6b4c0bbbd64b4605606d87bd5d831a2a.png

So on project load, it's syncing the hidden tracks in the console view with the Track View.

To fix this:
1.  Ensure MIDI is checked
2.  Open the track manager from the console view, and unhide the tracks (with the sync still on).

There have been some bug fixes in this area, as sync wasn't working properly... but this looks like a regression.  We'll look into it further.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

Please everyone don’t install the beta release unless you are willing to be a tester. I think they should not have put this version in the toast pop up. People are obviously installing it with out understand that it is a beta release and not a tested update. 

Strange, mine wasnt in the toast at all. That could also be that I literally checked the DAW 9mins after the EA dropped. Didnt see it so, i downloaded it from the google drive link that was attached in announcements. 

Edited by Will.

1 minute ago, Will. said:

Strange, mine wasn't in the toast at all. That could also been that I literally checked the DAW 9mins after the EA dropped. Didn't see it so, i downloaded it from the google drive link that was attached in announcements. 

Same. 

Despite the moments of despair, for me the silver lining is that a glitch has been alerted to The Bakers 😁

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

wow, this one was a tricky one to track down!

Ok - here's the cause:

You've got MIDI strips unchecked in the console view, but also you've got "Keep track/console visibility states in sync" checked:
To fix this:
1.  Ensure MIDI is checked
2.  Open the track manager from the console view, and unhide the tracks (with the sync still on).

There have been some bug fixes in this area, as sync wasn't working properly... but this looks like a regression.  We'll look into it further.

Thanks so much Mark. I appreciate the time you have put into this to help.

Harley

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

Please everyone don’t install the beta release unless you are willing to be a tester. I think they should not have put this version in the toast pop up. People are obviously installing it with out understand that it is a beta release and not a tested update. 

Its in a toast.

17 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

This isn't a beta version, it's an early access.

If this bug wasn't found, it's likely this version would have been released as the final version.  So far we're not aware of any other specific issues in this release, but we'll keep an eye out for any reports over the next couple of days.

The back end servers have been upgraded to support the coming release of Sonar/Next. As as result, the previous versions of Cakewalk will no longer re-authorize once their authorization period has expired.  This is what has delayed this release going out, and is also why there is no rollback. 

This bug has now been fixed, however with Monday being Labor Day in the US, it's unlikely we'll get a new update out before Tuesday.

If you're affected by this bug:  For the meantime, just make sure all of the strip types are checked in the console view's "Strips" menu.  After doing this you may also have to launch the Track Manager from the console view and unhide any tracks. 

5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

As as result, the previous versions of Cakewalk will no longer re-authorize once their authorization period has expired

Not sure what's being said here. I'm reading it that once their authorization period has expired you're basically stuffed. Upgrade to the paid version or do without? This can't be the case surely

EDIT: See post from msmcleod below.

8 hours ago, msmcleod said:

The back end servers have been upgraded to support the coming release of Sonar/Next. As as result, the previous versions of Cakewalk will no longer re-authorize once their authorization period has expired.  This is what has delayed this release going out, and is also why there is no rollback. 

Since I am just a user, I have no inside info.  That doesn't stop me from speculating.  So, when I read this in the Early Access announcement

On 8/31/2023 at 2:59 PM, Morten Saether said:
  • Version 2023.09 will likely be the last update to Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB). CbB will eventually be discontinued as future development and support will transition to the upcoming Cakewalk Sonar release. If you wish to continue to use CbB, you must update to the 2023.09 version when it is released to the public. Earlier versions will cease to activate in the future.
  • Version 2023.09 currently does not support offline activation, so your computer must be online to activate it. [emphasis added]

I speculated that there was a strategy planned and/or in place to allow existing users to (1) update to the 2023.09 version when released (2) so that only bona fide existing users who updated to the released version of 2023.09.  I am not 100% sure of my speculation and I am not asking for confirmation here, but far as I can see all that has been posted does not negate my speculation.

If I am right, this:

3 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

I'm reading it that once their authorization period has expired you're basically stuffed. Upgrade to the paid version or do without? [emphasis added]This can't be the case surely

is not a necessary interpretation.

Why?  We have been told that "earlier versions [earlier = pre-2023.09 versions] will cease to activate in the future." I am comfortable waiting until there is an announcement, but I assume the final release will confirm that we are bona fide CbB users (we will need to be online as we have been told there will be no offline activation).

Disclaimer: My speculation, assumptions, and reading of the various posts since the EA version was announced could end up being wrong after the fact.

Edited by User 905133
(2) edits due to a non-speculative answer having been given below; (1) changes in the interest of clarity