Scarlett 4th gen interface launched

satya

On 8/31/2023 at 5:40 PM, Nick Blanc said:

Great, just THIS week I switched to an RME interface and was going to sell my 3rd gen. With a 4th gen out there, I reckon the value will drop a bit. Maybe not much, but still, it's not the latest and greatest anymore.

If you've got an 18i20 then it works great via ADAT to the RME as an extra 8 pre-amps (or indeed an extra 8 analog outputs).

• Great Idea 1

15 hours ago, msmcleod said:

If you've got an 18i20 then it works great via ADAT to the RME as an extra 8 pre-amps (or indeed an extra 8 analog outputs).

Trust me, I'm well aware 😅. I used an 18i8 with an ADA8200 for a while.

I've put off a major rehaul for a couple of months. But finally last week I made the RME switch. I went for the Digiface and connected 4x ADA8200's. Now I'm sporting 32 inputs. All on a dedicated input in my DAW (which was my goal). It was a cable nightmare. And still is, I'm sorting out some low level ground noise, but I have the feeling I won't be able to cancel it completely. 

3 minutes ago, Nick Blanc said:

Trust me, I'm well aware 😅. I used an 18i8 with an ADA8200 for a while.

I've put off a major rehaul for a couple of months. But finally last week I made the RME switch. I went for the Digiface and connected 4x ADA8200's. Now I'm sporting 32 inputs. All on a dedicated input in my DAW (which was my goal). It was a cable nightmare. And still is, I'm sorting out some low level ground noise, but I have the feeling I won't be able to cancel it completely. 

I went for the Digiface USB too.  I'm using the 18i20 as my main set of inputs (which also means I can switch back to the 18i20 as my main interface by just swapping the USB cables).

The other three banks are from 3 x Fostex VC8's. Not the best converters I know, but they're good enough for now and easily replaceable with better models when I get around to it.  2 of them are fed from the direct outs of my A&H MixWizard, and the other one has an assortment of pre's I can patch in and out ( 8 x Alice 828 direct outs, TFPro P3 x 4, GA Pre 73 x 2 ).

Cabling is a sore point... thankfully my 19U preamp rack is all cabled internally, but there's nearly 50m of audio cable alone in there!  The Alice and A&H use standard looms... big, heavy and ugly.

10 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I went for the Digiface USB too.  I'm using the 18i20 as my main set of inputs (which also means I can switch back to the 18i20 as my main interface by just swapping the USB cables).

The other three banks are from 3 x Fostex VC8's. Not the best converters I know, but they're good enough for now and easily replaceable with better models when I get around to it.  2 of them are fed from the direct outs of my A&H MixWizard, and the other one has an assortment of pre's I can patch in and out ( 8 x Alice 828 direct outs, TFPro P3 x 4, GA Pre 73 x 2 ).

Cabling is a sore point... thankfully my 19U preamp rack is all cabled internally, but there's nearly 50m of audio cable alone in there!  The Alice and A&H use standard looms... big, heavy and ugly.

I'm selling the 18i8 (and the Xenyx 2222 which I used for additional channels) and keeping my old Roland Rubix24 as an interface backup. It only has 2 inputs so it would mostly be for in the box. I'm not upgrading the ADA8200's anytime soon, because something similar is really hard to find (8 channels with ADAT in AND out) and/or is +€2000. I'm in the same boat with my converters, not the best but they will work.

Funny you mention meters of cables. I think I'm at 300 meters in total (audio, MIDI, USB, power). I'm still sorting out 1 broken USB cable which is buried somewhere and as I mentioned I have some output interference which I'm not sure how to fix. I use the headphone out from the Digiface (this was recommended by RME support) to a Behringer HD400 to eliminate ground noise to the speakers, but somewhere in the chain there is something.