Request

Carl P James

I think what the OP is asking for is like a preview bus where the effects aren't included in the export, so if you put on any room EQ correction software, etc. then it won't be a part of the mix.

This is all doable now, but you have to set your project up right and make sure you choose the correct export options to ignore the bus.

2 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

This is all doable now, but you have to set your project up right and make sure you choose the correct export options to ignore the bus.

My project templates have this set up. I call it the Output bus. It's downstream from my Export bus.

The OP (what's up with that avatar photo?😄) maybe needs some help setting that up.

Even if that's not what they meant, Cakewalk probably has enough routing flexibility to make it happen. I have different buses for headphone mix, speaker mix, master,  exporting....

16 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

I think what the OP is asking for is like a preview bus where the effects aren't included in the export, so if you put on any room EQ correction software, etc. then it won't be a part of the mix.

Thank u man,,,,

13 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

My project templates have this set up. I call it the Output bus. It's downstream from my Export bus.

The OP (what's up with that avatar photo?😄) maybe needs some help setting that up.

Even if that's not what they meant, Cakewalk probably has enough routing flexibility to make it happen. I have different buses for headphone mix, speaker mix, master,  exporting....

Didn't mean to offend anyone, but I use more than one DAW..

1 hour ago, Carl P James said:

I don't think you were offensive, just vague/cryptic.

Request:  A listen bus please.

JMO: Being vague/cryptic is only offensive when it is coupled with insults, e.g., "This software sucks limes. There's no listen bus. I use lots of other DAWs and all of them have a listen bus. I am never going to use Cakewalk again and will tell all my colleagues and their children to banish it from their computers."  😉  

Edited by User 905133

it should be something you can set up in any modern DAW - i have a few "listen" busses - a "-12db" (quiet mix checking - pre-fader off master) and "master" (feeds room monitoring & basic 2-track bits), a "NX / VSX / Sound ID" for room simulation in headphones (also pre-fader send), and a "print" buss pre-fade off the master for final export.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

1 hour ago, Carl P James said:

Oh, so do I (look in my sig). I didn't mean to come off as being offended. I just thought that featuring a Studio One logo in your avatar photo on a forum for Cakewalk was....interesting and worthy of inquiry.

Welcome and let us know if you want any specific help setting up your "listen" bus. You can route things so many different ways in Cakewalk I'm sure you'll be able to put together what you're looking for. That's one of its strengths for me, the flexibility of that mixer.

On 8/20/2023 at 8:52 AM, Glenn Stanton said:

it should be something you can set up in any modern DAW - i have a few "listen" busses - a "-12db" (quiet mix checking - pre-fader off master) and "master" (feeds room monitoring & basic 2-track bits), a "NX / VSX / Sound ID" for room simulation in headphones (also pre-fader send), and a "print" buss pre-fade off the master for final export.

Great idea, just never thought of doing this.

Your post is pretty self explanatory. Opened up Cakewalk, played around and think I've got.
Any particular reason for the "print" buss as opposed to using the Master?

Edited by TheSteven

i use the master as the feed to my monitors and i may move the volume up and down there. having a separate "print" with pre-fader send means even if i forget to reset the master to 0, the print output is set to 0 for the rendering. the print buss (and all others which might feed the main h/w out are set to "none" unless i'm specifically using them, in which case the master gets set to none and i set the other buss to the h/w output, or if i'm using a separate h/w for headphones (e.g.), then i just set the outs to those and leave as is, then use my monitor controller to mute the room monitors if i'm going to use the headphones.

technically, if i wanted to just mute and unmute from the DAW, i'd have a "monitor" buss (another pre-fader send from master) for the room monitors so i can just mute and unmute rather than switch none or h/w out, but i just didn't want another buss... lol 🙂 

DAW template - 01 - process.svg DAW template - 02 - mix.svg DAW template - 03 - workspace.svg

Edited by Glenn Stanton
updated drawings to match my latest processes and mix template approach
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 2:09 PM, TheSteven said:

What DAW is that?
I always assumed your avatar was a smiley face captured from an EQ plugin.

Edit: reread your post...

The EQ in my avatar is our beloved ProChannel QuadCurve EQ. I wanted an avatar for the old forum and was putzing around with the EQ, and thought of the expression "put a smile on the EQ."

• Like 1