Clips move unintentionally

When I listen back to a project I'm finding some clips moved much further down the timeline than they should be. Ripple edit is always off, I make sure of that. Is there any other reason why this would be happening? It's probably user error but I don't know where to start looking for an answer. Thank you

Have you got snap on and set to Snap By instead of Snap To?

How are you selecting the clips when copying? If you're doing a time range, you might actually be selecting some blank space before the clip itself and it's inadvertently pasting that in and shifting the pasted clip down after that.

I thought I was just me. My current project seems to do the same thing but only by a few milisec. After hours of tightening up several audio clips, others would drift. Then I'd tighten them. The next day another track would go out of sync. :S

Almost like playing the project repeatedly or splitting clips is causing it. Never had this happen before.... maybe on one other project recently, but that's it.

Edited by sjoens

Thanks for the responses. Snap is mostly off because this is dialogue with sound effects. When I opened the project I found some of the sound effects way further down the timeline and not with the words in the dialogue where they should be. It's still probably user error but I have no idea what.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with Broadcast WAV files?

What are you seeing in Preferences > File > Audio Data?

Mine looks like this:

154847504_Screenshot2023-07-20223010.jpg.07be613e5c693782d7042a21e3b367e1.jpg

If you have ticks in any of the Broadcast Wave options, take them out and see if that helps.

I don't see how this could be affecting clips that have been copied and pasted in-project but it certainly would do for anything dragged in or imported.

All good suggestions, nothing checks out. I'm not using arranger tracks on this type of project. My audio data looks about the same as Lord Tim except allow importing wave file cue markers, whatever that means. I had wondered if it's just not saving properly after moving clips around but at this point I think I need to wait and see if it replicates on another project. This type of project, dialogue with lots of intermittent sound effects is a very different workflow from music. I've been away from this for a while so it's very likely something I'm doing. All of your help is much appreciated!

On 7/20/2023 at 5:17 AM, Terry Kelley said:

Is it a case of jerky finger on the mouse slightly moving the clip when you tried to select it?

Never happens to me. Nope.

I've had that, doing double click to open a midi clip, just moved it a bit, since snap was off.