NI Kontakt update to 7.5.1

cclarry

Nothing to do with this update, but I'm very unhappy with the Kontakt 2 Library. The wrench icon is no longer available in the new library,  so you can't edit the instrument or add certain scripts, or effects.

Kontakt 7 is a big Irish Setter with that lustrous long red hair that your significant other would kill for - it may be beautiful but it's still a dog, a big dog.
 It still takes longer than any other plugin or DAW to load on my system - over 5 minutes each time; must be scanning every drive on my system every time it loads.

I previously complained about this on a NI thread opened by the developers and aside from some hemming and hawing (it shouldn't do that...) from devs got nothing but snarky replies for other users.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

Sometimes Kontakt takes as much maintenance as that Setter, for sure!  (That's all the snark I can muster...)

I recently re-set up my Kontakt stuff (after finally removing K5), and I had to spend a lot of time setting up the desktop standalone library paths, rescanning... (as I use a custom library destination) - which in reading the support site info, is recommended before using the plugin versions of the big NI apps. Even then, the desktop app still takes a long time to even show anything is working after double-clicking the icon...  My plugin version of K7 seems to load normally though.  -Doesn't sound as though this update is relating to any of that, AFAIK.

6 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Kontakt 7 is a big Irish Setter with that lustrous long red hair that your significant other would kill for - it may be beautiful but it's still a dog, a big dog.
 It still takes longer than any other plugin or DAW to load on my system - over 5 minutes each time; must be scanning every drive on my system every time it loads.

I previously complained about this on a NI thread opened by the developers and aside from some hemming and hawing (it shouldn't do that...) from devs got nothing but snarky replies for other users.

NI did a very bad job in programming Kontakt IMHO! Just the fact that all quick load stuff is being parsed when Kontakt is loaded is very stupid! Good programming practice would load on demand in such a case!

Once I found this out because I had some libraries on an external disk that had not been inserted. As a result I moved the folders back to the local drives and tried to keep only the sample folders on the external drive. But hell, even this is scanned before it's being used! How dull can software developers be sometimes! 😆

In my 2015 computer,

Kontakt 7 is a power hungry CPU and GPU hog!  The libraries I can run in Kontakt 5 run tons more smoothly than in Kontakt 7.

I always try to run the earliest product they have for the library.  If I could run Kontakt 5 for all the libraries I would.  For some of their recent libraries I can only run Kontakt 6 as the earliest.

It seems the more bigger Kontakt gets, the more processing power out demands.

Either the programmers of Kontakt 5 don't exists anymore or they don't know how to save processing power by using assembly language to do the heavy lifting.

Edited by El Diablo
Spell correct is incorrect
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Either the programmers of Kontakt 5 don't exists anymore or they don't know how to save processing power by using assembly language to do the heavy lifting.

I am sure assembly language is not required! Even a good C++ program would run more efficiently!

7 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

I still cannot get V7 to load standalone - it loads as a plug in, but I really prefer V6

As Steven said, it's a dog!!

Try right clicking on the Kontakt v7 desktop icon and select open or open as Administrator and see what happens.    My problem is the new Kontakt 7 icon, looks like my grand kid created it.