NI Session Horns Pro vs Straight ahead Jazz Horns vs...?

Leizer

For a few days more, these Horns VSTs are at sale:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/cinematic/session-horns-pro/   SESSION HORNS PRO  299,00 € 149,50€

https://impactsoundworks.com/product/straight-ahead-jazz-horns/   Straight Ahead Jazz Horns $249 $169

Any thoughts about these VSTs based on sound quality, realism, ease-to-use and intuitivity? Both of the above I think has nice sounding demo songs. I'm looking for a good, versatile pop brass (EW&F/Chicago style) including saxophones. Currently I'm using Kontakt 5 Factory brass when saxes needed.

I am also very  impressed by the VHorns demos (saxes+brass section) but the price is much higher. Is it worth it? Do they have sales?

I'm not in a rush, but maybe could take the opportunity now when prices are lower. Are there more contenders?

• Like 1

Another good candidate would be Fable Sounds Broadway Big Band or Broadway Gig, quite playable these are although I would expect the VHorns to be even more, but obviously out of price range for me tooA responsible use of Session Horns could give you bit of this Jerry Hey-esque type of sound :).

I used to have a good experience with Yamaha's VL-synthesis giving me very convincing brass section, unfortunately I have sold the BC3 controller.

Let us know your findings!

Edited by chris.r
  • Thanks 1

Well my hot take is both of those suck.

And the Broadway stuff was recorded and coded over a decade ago, by a company that may not even exist anymore.

The V-horns are decent if you need softer passages.

I'd seriously recommend EastWest Hollywood Pop Brass, the Blue Street brass, and also the Audiomodern SWAM offerings, and 8dio's Euphonium as well.

I think you will find no one existing library will suffice, you'll need to mix and match 3 or so to get the realism. It's a fun puzzle!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

And the Broadway stuff was recorded and coded over a decade ago, by a company that may not even exist anymore.

I bought Broadway like a year or two ago, had a nice quick email exchange with support, saw there was an update so it looks like and gives impression as being kept well maintained.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

I bought Broadway like a year or two ago, had a nice quick email exchange with support, saw there was an update so it looks like and gives impression as being kept well maintained.

Glad to hear! Was that for the big version, or Lites/Gig? I'll check out for updates . . .

8 minutes ago, antler said:

To avoid confusion, I think PhonoBrainer means Audio Modeling

https://audiomodeling.com/swam-engine/solo-brass/

It seems Audiomodern have now completely abandoned their instrument range and are focussing on plugins.

Thanks Antler, that's it exactly! The cogs, they slip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Glad to hear! Was that for the big version, or Lites/Gig? I'll check out for updates

I have Lites and Gig, both at v2.0.24. Don't know exactly when has the update to v2 happened but IIRC, I was confused with two ways of installation after the purchase, sent them an email and got a quick and helpful reply so my experience is very positive.

1 hour ago, antler said:

It seems Audiomodern have now completely abandoned their instrument range and are focussing on plugins.

Oh yeah that's a shame.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Well my hot take is both of those suck.

The V-horns are decent if you need softer passages.

I'd seriously recommend EastWest Hollywood Pop Brass, the Blue Street brass, and also the Audiomodern SWAM offerings, and 8dio's Euphonium as well.

I think you will find no one existing library will suffice, you'll need to mix and match 3 or so to get the realism. It's a fun puzzle!

About Hollywood Pop Brass, is there a way to get the individual instruments playing? In the demos it sounds like everything is doubled in octaves (at least the trumpets), which can be muddy if you want spread voicings with colouring f.e.

Blue Street brass seems like a nice VST for softer songs. At a great price!

4 hours ago, Leizer said:

About Hollywood Pop Brass, is there a way to get the individual instruments playing? In the demos it sounds like everything is doubled in octaves (at least the trumpets), which can be muddy if you want spread voicings with colouring f.e.

Blue Street brass seems like a nice VST for softer songs. At a great price!

The mixer for Hollywood lets you individually bring up trumpets, or saxes, or trombone. But there is a little leakage. Nothing that is a dealbreaker.

• Thanks 1

Honestly, I'm happy with the non-pro Session Horns! Admittedly, I don't want/need them to do anything 'fancy'. I need punches/hits, swells, and falls, and I get the nice, bright sound I'm after from SH. I find it very convincing and easy to use.

I really like the Straight Ahead Samples horn libraries, but I've only tried the sole instruments which tend to be on the mellower side and jazz-focused. Their newish Atomic Big Band (or their very-new ABB lite) might give you what you're after. What they're achieving with the smart delay function is pretty incredible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The NI Session Horns are not the highest rated, but some people like the sound better when using the close mics.  They wouldn't be my first choice to buy separately, but I got them as part of Komplete, and they can sound good.  Also, as someone mentioned, layering can help too.