FedEx, Now You're Just F*n With Me

bitflipper

I hate to think about the day when the last local retailer shutters its doors. While we were worried about Amazon taking over the world, in the post-apocalyptic future it will actually be the shipping companies that rule it all.

There's a (Korean?) movie on Netflix right now that I started watching but can't remember the name. IIRC it's about a paramilitary delivery service that braves the lawless wasteland to bring oxygen and water to a population that can't go outside. That sh*t's too close to reality. I'm looking forward to the Barbie movie.

39 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

I hate to think about the day when the last local retailer shutters its doors. While we were worried about Amazon taking over the world, in the post-apocalyptic future it will actually be the shipping companies that rule it all.

This actually just bit me this week. I have an old van with the fuel filter canister inside a reservoir (both parts are nigh impossible to find). AutoZone had none in range, so I ordered one from Amazon to save time. Three days later, it is first "delayed" then "if not delivered by tomorrow can get a refund." I called AutoZone again this morning and they said they could transfer one to the local store, probably by tomorrow, maybe Saturday. Not had that happen before, especially for a simple part that disables the vehicle. BUT... AutoZone transfers between shops with FedEx! Will see how long this really takes...

Edited by mettelus

Quite true. For critical consumables, hopefully there will always be a local alternative, but can't bank on that.

AutoZone got the part transferred next day, but they also have a daily FedEx pattern in place already. The guy was laughing at the store since I had a vehicle disabled due to a $5 part. I left the Amazon order in place just to see how long this takes, but also having a spare on hand might be prudent for the future. In ten years there may be none left.

• Like 1

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Sigh. Just place another order from Sweetwater and there was no option offered for any shipping method other than FedEx. I could have sworn they used to ask if you wanted to use UPS instead, but maybe that was removed in light of the coming UPS strike.

This order is the next piece of my new PA system and I'm calling it an early birthday present to myself. That way, I won't be disappointed if it doesn't come before October.

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Sigh. Just place another order from Sweetwater and there was no option offered for any shipping method other than FedEx. I could have sworn they used to ask if you wanted to use UPS instead, but maybe that was removed in light of the coming UPS strike.

This order is the next piece of my new PA system and I'm calling it an early birthday present to myself. That way, I won't be disappointed if it doesn't come before October.

I'll be looking for it!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Sweetwater says half the items are backordered. They're coming from Italy. Perhaps I'd best start thinking of them as Christmas presents instead.

Maybe, but for which year??? 🤔

I just received a replacement headrest for my office chair last week.  I put in the warranty repair request back in NOVEMBER of last year! 😮

They said it could take "up to ten weeks!"  Maybe their math is different than mine though, I will admit, they didn't say which ten weeks... 😁

I'm just glad I went to Home Depot and bought replacement bolts to fix the chair myself!

• Like 1

So I started reading this thread and was dying to know...did the mixer ever come???

Just finished skimming thru everything and , fheeeew...it final came.

Back in the day, I would order something from Sweetwater before noon and it would be on my doorstep the next afternoon around 3.    Once in a while I would miss the delivery and would hustle down to the Fed Ex distribution center around 8:30pm  (the drivers came back around 7 ish and they closed at 9.)

Of course I was literally blocks away from the distribution center.  That did have it's perks.

• Like 1

That's why I was hoping they'd offer UPS as an alternative, as the UPS depot is less than a mile from me. The FedEx facility is an hour away.

But yes, the mixer did finally arrive and I am more than pleased with it. It's my first digital mixer, so of course I'm tickled to have fully-parametric EQ, gates and real compressors (unlike my analog consoles with their mysterious "one-knob" comps - what's the threshold? Guess!) on every channel and bus. 8 outputs so everybody gets their own monitor mix. Built-in pink noise generator and RTA. And the indescribable joy of watching motorized faders dance around on their own when the scene changes. It even records!

But I couldn't stop there. I had to upgrade the entire PA system. Sorry, faithful QSCs, but your measly 129dB max SPL just won't cut it anymore. Gotta have 133dB now. Never mind that I almost never go over 100dB, I just want to know I could melt faces if I wanted to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Sorry, faithful QSCs, but your measly 129dB max SPL just won't cut it anymore. Gotta have 133dB now. Never mind that I almost never go over 100dB, I just want to know I could melt faces if I wanted to.

😂