recording with Autotune and input monitoring

Jordi

33 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

In a way yes but you said 

That actually confused me. I think you made a typo and meant to say ASIO device.  Not driver. The op was looking for a setting that doesn’t exist 🫤
Since the beginning of time many of us have always disabled the computers audio system to avoid conflicts.  On my main DAW I didn’t even install the driver for it when I rebuild it. But windows update screwed that up one day. 
Generally the majority of people simply install the ASIO drivers and never even have to think about anything else.  
And even thought it probably doesn’t matter I always set The sample and bit depth in Windows to match my interfaces settings. Just  as you are advising. That  seems to work for me when sharing other apps with Cakewalk running.  

Yeah . . .  Windows 10 sucks! Im still running it though. 🤣

Windows Defender: Disable it completely.

Make sure you have the latest VCredist installed. Theres something in this update that is of magic everytime it is installed.

Check for new updates, if the  issue persist - uninstall previous windows updates and remove automatic updates. 

If all fails: Do a clean install and only install you VCredist updates. 

You should be able to have effects on and hear them while recording (just enable input echo on the track), but obviously latency is the thing to watch out for.

There are quite a few auto-tune type effects around now, so you could try some of them out to see which is the least heavy on CPU.

Another approach that might work, would be to bounce the backing into stereo mix, and temporarily archive all of the other tracks / bypass all effects on your master bus. 

This would mean the only effect being used in the project is your auto-tune on the vocal track, and should allow you to reduce your buffer size.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Will. said:

Windows Defender: Disable it completely.

Not sure this is necessary. It seems since introduced many years ago the Windows protection system has been one of the least invasive systems to audio. There are just a few tweaks the recommend like disabling scanning Cakewalk stuff. But I've personally never tried that.  I most certainly want it working when I download free 3rd party plug ins and midi files! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

Not sure this is necessary. It seems since introduced many years ago the Windows protection system has been one of the least invasive systems to audio. There are just a few tweaks the recommend like disabling scanning Cakewalk stuff. But I've personally never tried that.  I most certainly want it working when I download free 3rd party plug ins and midi files! 

I would agree

In my experience, Defender is pretty transparent, doesn't intrude at all and is generally not a resource hog

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

Well, In that case:  Good luck with you problem. 👍🏽 

20 hours ago, Will. said:

. . . . and that is the answer. 

What I have been saying the whole time. 

anyway if you could send a screenshot of how you disable audio in windows that would be great

On 6/22/2023 at 9:59 PM, JohnnyV said:

There is no settings for ASIO in Windows. You install the driver and if you disable all other audio devices in Windows settings/ Manage devices then you are using your interface and ASIO.  
Open Cakewalk audio settings and you can confirm that.
Interfaces these days are 24 bit and that is not adjusted in Windows.  

Open the Motu control panel to change clock rate and buffer setting.  

For some reason in audio settings windows, only can select 16 bits 48khz my Motu Ultralite. I don't understand about how i can configure the audio settings in windows to use Asio drivers, i watch the video but don't work for me and i can understand what talk about this Will

Audio Settings Windows.jpg

First I will assume you have successfully removed Realtek from the REG EDIT

1148268781_Screenshot(565).png.98c3aeb773c9c698616c70ff922500c3.png

Next go here and download the driver- Unless you have done this already- I can do no harm. https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=1&product=251

Once installed OPEN CUE MIX, Cue mix is where you make your settings.

The Motu ASIO driver only works as 24 bit. So that tells me something was not installed correctly.  And use 48Khz for your clock rate.  44.1 is from 1970's. Nobody uses that anymore.  

A mistake Motu makes is they don't have an option to install a desktop icon so I guess people might not even be aware that Cue Mix is installed. 

7 hours ago, Jordi said:

For some reason in audio settings windows, only can select 16 bits 48khz my Motu Ultralite. 

That's OK, the bit setting in Windows does not affect the DAW.

7 hours ago, Jordi said:

I don't understand about how i can configure the audio settings in windows to use Asio drivers,

There is no setting in Windows to select the driver. The driver selection is made by the program needing to talk to the device.

Most Windows programs do not use ASIO instead relying on native Windows drivers. 

ASIO drivers are mostly used by audio and video tools. Some web browsers can use ASIO too.

The choice of driver, if there is one, is part of the program setup like it is in CbB.

Reason I say this because most software will have a check box to install desktop icon and a quick start icon. 
I have the Motu M4 which doesn’t use cue mix. I was curious to see what happened if I installed the OP’s driver on my other computer. After the install I expected the icon but it wasn’t there. It’s easy to just drag the link in the start menu to the desktop or add it to the system tray. But it made me wonder if the OP was aware that the interface had a control panel.
 You would be surprised how many people never read the manual or even go to the manufacturer web site for drivers.  

On 6/24/2023 at 4:59 PM, JohnnyV said:

First I will assume you have successfully removed Realtek from the REG EDIT

1148268781_Screenshot(565).png.98c3aeb773c9c698616c70ff922500c3.png

Next go here and download the driver- Unless you have done this already- I can do no harm. https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=1&product=251

Once installed OPEN CUE MIX, Cue mix is where you make your settings.

The Motu ASIO driver only works as 24 bit. So that tells me something was not installed correctly.  And use 48Khz for your clock rate.  44.1 is from 1970's. Nobody uses that anymore.  

A mistake Motu makes is they don't have an option to install a desktop icon so I guess people might not even be aware that Cue Mix is installed. 

thanks your help, the realtek is disable in my bios.

I have the lastest drivers and firmware from Motu.

But i can't see any place in Cue Mix to change rate or bits depth. Only in Motu audio console i can change the rate but not the bits depth.

54 minutes ago, Jordi said:

thanks your help, the realtek is disable in my bios.

I have the lastest drivers and firmware from Motu.

But i can't see any place in Cue Mix to change rate or bits depth. Only in Motu audio console i can change the rate but not the bits depth.

Right click the icon on the taskbar and go to speaker properties. 

102657424_images(1).png.770532cf84333349bb2b902144e1ce31.png

You need to match this with your DAW so that windows dont get confused with its conversions.  

4 hours ago, Will. said:

Right click the icon on the taskbar and go to speaker properties. 

102657424_images(1).png.770532cf84333349bb2b902144e1ce31.png

You need to match this with your DAW so that windows dont get confused with its conversions.  

Sorry but i don't see  so many options, if i connect my presonus audio card i can see 24 bits depth

Ok the mystery is why is there no option in the Cue Mix? Sorry if I misled you. I assumed it was the same as a Focusrite mixer.  
Is there a separate control panel like I have ?  My M4 doesn’t support Cue Mix so there’s just a control panel. That is always where you ultimately change sample rate and buffer settings with all ASIO interfaces.  
Bit depth is 24 and can’t be changed.  So the fact you are seeing 16 is a red flag that the Motu driver is not installed at all? 
The Windows settings are not the same thing. That’s generally for the computers system. 
Look in your start menu for Motu. 
But I would re install the driver 

Edited by JohnnyV

On 6/22/2023 at 8:24 AM, Jordi said:

What I can configure is the sample rate and bit depth that only lets me set it to 48kh and 16 bits.

I had to go back and make sure that this is the same thread I was thinking it was. A screen shot would have helped but I will assume you are refering to Windows Settings/ Sound/Device properties/Additional Device properties as shown in my video. I'll duplicate the info here. 

1409268991_Screenshot(1290).thumb.png.026b27dbf01c3f98021f0c1b3989c2af.png

If you open the Properties Tab and select the driver tab you should see this.

1595602616_Screenshot(1291).png.8ca37fb7a2af7c19073f80c321452c4d.png

In the advanced tab it should look like this. There should be No 16 bit options. That only appears with non ASIO drivers.  

1673985883_Screenshot(1289).png.fd6ac68dce1eb6db39b96efab6e8c9c1.png

This is my Motu control panel. 

45388061_Screenshot(1288).png.313c140bbcf51b392c6756b7f9b5897f.png

In the Reg Edit it should look like this. I have 3 other ASIO devices and those all use proper drivers so they do not interfere with Cakewalk. But you should only see the Motu listed here. Anything else needs to be deleted. Disabling in device manager is not going to do the trick. There's no  need for that anymore, you just disable it in Manage Sound devices.   But you do not want the Realtek ASIO driver listed here. Or any other ASIO drivers that do not belong to an audio interface. 

118137572_Screenshot(1292).png.0c145b15ac1210ca864a221f188f9a98.png

Edited by JohnnyV

On 6/26/2023 at 5:44 PM, JohnnyV said:

I had to go back and make sure that this is the same thread I was thinking it was. A screen shot would have helped but I will assume you are refering to Windows Settings/ Sound/Device properties/Additional Device properties as shown in my video. I'll duplicate the info here. 

1409268991_Screenshot(1290).thumb.png.026b27dbf01c3f98021f0c1b3989c2af.png

If you open the Properties Tab and select the driver tab you should see this.

1595602616_Screenshot(1291).png.8ca37fb7a2af7c19073f80c321452c4d.png

In the advanced tab it should look like this. There should be No 16 bit options. That only appears with non ASIO drivers.  

1673985883_Screenshot(1289).png.fd6ac68dce1eb6db39b96efab6e8c9c1.png

This is my Motu control panel. 

45388061_Screenshot(1288).png.313c140bbcf51b392c6756b7f9b5897f.png

In the Reg Edit it should look like this. I have 3 other ASIO devices and those all use proper drivers so they do not interfere with Cakewalk. But you should only see the Motu listed here. Anything else needs to be deleted. Disabling in device manager is not going to do the trick. There's no  need for that anymore, you just disable it in Manage Sound devices.   But you do not want the Realtek ASIO driver listed here. Or any other ASIO drivers that do not belong to an audio interface. 

118137572_Screenshot(1292).png.0c145b15ac1210ca864a221f188f9a98.png

This is my settings in Windows, I can't select 24 bits depth when i use my Motu, with Presonus Usb 96 and M-audio FW410 i don't have any problem, i Test in 2 laptops with other Motu ultralite in windows 10 and 11 is  the same, In Audio settings of Windows only show 16 bits depth.

Audio Settings Windows Motu.jpg

Registro Asio.jpg

I've read this thread like 3 times now and I can't for the life of me work out why we're messing around with Windows sound panel sample rates. 

Windows DOES NOT use ASIO. 

The whole point of ASIO is a direct driver access to your audio device, bypassing the Windows audio subsystem. If we were talking WASAPI or WDM, sure, but ASIO is its own thing. Just because Windows can use your device doesn't mean it's using ASIO. For example, my Focusrite 18i20 plays fine with Windows, but it is a different driver to what Cakewalk is using, despite it being the same device.

This said, you *can* get conflicts if you try to run other apps at different sample rates at the same time as Cakewalk. But we're not, so it's actually quite irrelevant as to what Windows is set to with the sample rate, etc.

John is on the money with saying the ASIO driver and software isn't installed correctly, or set up correctly inside Cakewalk. Everything else is making everything much harder for no reason.

Set your latency to its lowest workable setting in the MOTU control panel and that should set it in Cakewalk too, so long as you're using ASIO as the driver model.

Then set up your track you want to record on, put the auto tune plugin in the FX bin on there, and turn on Input Echo. If your latency is low enough, you should hear no noticeable delay. Make sure that if you have any direct monitoring in the MOTU, you want to turn that off so you're ONLY hearing the Cakewalk audio that's echoing the selected track.

Note: This won't record the effect, it's playing back live. You would either do Process > Apply Audio Effects after you're done recording, or you can set up the output from this track to go to an Aux track, which you could record in realtime.

• Great Idea 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

I've read this thread like 3 times now and I can't for the life of me work out why we're messing around with Windows sound panel sample rates. 

Windows DOES NOT use ASIO. 

This.