Playback .cwp stutters when project contains both .wav and .mid files when using Presonus AUDIOBOX USB96 [SOLVED]

tdehan

5 hours ago, Kalle Rantaaho said:

Help-files? Reading the manual pdf? Just trying what happens, when you click Freeze?

I read the manual, I don't understand what it is saying about Freeze.  Thus my question...right?

9 hours ago, tdehan said:

I read the manual, I don't understand what it is saying about Freeze.  

Freeze Track:  "Bounces the audio in the track to a new audio clip or clips, applies any effects, and disables the FX Rack."

"Freeze" is a metaphorical reference to preserving or "solidifying" something. In this, case audio + effects are "solidified." That is to say, they are changed [fused together] from a "liquid" or flexible state into a preserved / solid / frozen state.

Hope this break down of the explanation from the manual helps someone.

Edited by User 905133
added a missing .

Here is a screen shot of a tune using TTS and the instruments for all the tracks.  I clicked on the FREEZE button on track 1.  The FREEZE button on all the tracks lights up and on the track that says Cakewalk TTS is now audio.  When I hit PLAY all the frozen tracks appear to be playing as well as the Cakewalk TTS track.  How is this any advantage?

Untitled.thumb.png.4d55fb4633a9575d631f18dc24efc73c.png

Freezing a track can considerably lower CPU and memory requirements for a project. Frozen synths no longer need to compute audio from MIDI data and FX plug-ins no longer have to do their work.  All the synth and FX plug-ins that are frozen with the tracks are rendered to audio and completely removed from memory. The frozen tracks are now audio clips are ready to play.

Streaming audio in a DAW is a very efficient operation and does not require much CPU power or RAM with the audio clips buffered as they are read from disk.

Freezing a single instance of TTS-1 is not likely to show much impact on a project.

That said, freezing reduces the number of things that can go wrong when playing a project because fewer things are happening. This can be a bonus when playing live as the less work the DAW has to do the more predictable/stable the performance will be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scook said:

Freezing a track can considerably lower CPU and memory requirements for a project. Frozen synths no longer need to compute audio from MIDI data and FX plug-ins no longer have to do their work.  All the synth and FX plug-ins that are frozen with the tracks are rendered to audio and completely removed from memory. The frozen tracks are now audio clips are ready to play.

Streaming audio in a DAW is a very efficient operation and does not require much CPU power or RAM with the audio clips buffered as they are read from disk.

Freezing a single instance of TTS-1 is not likely to show much impact on a project.

That said, freezing reduces the number of things that can go wrong when playing a project because fewer things are happening. This can be a bonus when playing live as the less work the DAW has to do the more predictable/stable the performance will be.

So then if I am understanding correctly, per my attached image above I would save that project with all the MIDI tracks frozen to audio on the one Cakewalk TTS track and play that live.  Is that correct?  With the MIDI tracks all frozen to audio on the Cakewalk TTS track the MIDI tracks aren't playing?  Only the Cakewalk TTS track?

Edited by tdehan