IK Hammond B-3X, SampleTank 4, Syntronik 2 MAX v2, and SampleTron 2 for $69.99 each

cclarry

15 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

I bet you could also accomplish the same thing with a MIDI controller that has faders

Yes. For awhile I was using an inexpensive Axiom 49 controller for just this purpose. It has 9 assignable sliders, but as you say it never had the tactile feel of Hammond drawbars.

Today I have a Nord Stage 3, not the piano version but the one with synth-style keys, very Hammond-ish in feel. And not the one with the digital drawbars - my particular model has real indented drawbars that I use to control my Korg Kronos (which has a superior Leslie emulation over the NS3). So in the band I often play organ parts on the Nord but produce the actual sounds in the Korg. Making that NS3 the most expensive MIDI controller in the world, I think.

btw, when I record Hammond parts they're all played on the NS3, but only its MIDI output is recorded. Afterward, I insert B3-X into the project and route that MIDI track to it. That way, I never have to worry about latency while recording, never have to adjust audio buffers, and get that "real" feel during the performance. But then subsequently enjoy all the benefits of a virtual instrument.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Yes. For awhile I was using an inexpensive Axiom 49 controller for just this purpose. It has 9 assignable sliders, but as you say it never had the tactile feel of Hammond drawbars.

Today I have a Nord Stage 3, not the piano version but the one with synth-style keys, very Hammond-ish in feel. And not the one with the digital drawbars - my particular model has real indented drawbars that I use to control my Korg Kronos (which has a superior Leslie emulation over the NS3). So in the band I often play organ parts on the Nord but produce the actual sounds in the Korg. Making that NS3 the most expensive MIDI controller in the world, I think.

btw, when I record Hammond parts they're all played on the NS3, but only its MIDI output is recorded. Afterward, I insert B3-X into the project and route that MIDI track to it. That way, I never have to worry about latency while recording, never have to adjust audio buffers, and get that "real" feel during the performance. But then subsequently enjoy all the benefits of a virtual instrument.

Nice setup. I miss my old Hammonds. Sadly, I’m far from a good enough B3 performer for this to matter much. I've heard/seen masters who truly use the drawbars as an inportant part of performance much as Jeff Beck incorporated his whammy and volume knob. For me the drawbars are mostly static settings so I haven’t had to consider such.

I did create a drawbar studioware device way back then. I may even still be able to find it if anyone is interested?

More important for me right now is a client just paid me enough so that tomorrow when the post office is open I will have access to enough funds to buy the B3x! I’m excited! May take a day or two but hopefully not and tomorrow finds me happily enjoying it!

Edited by Keni
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

I bet you could also accomplish the same thing with a MIDI controller that has faders. However, I suspect that if you are a real organ player that it's just not the same.

The drawbars are just part of the equation. Another thing to consider is Hammond organs don't have a sustain pedal, so you have to think in terms of how an organ player would voice their chords and craw to move into different notes without interrupting the past note.

The second important one is how the plugin represents velocity. Hammonds don't have a velocity sensitive keybed (volume is done with a pedal on the pedalboard). Instead they have a 9 contact keybed where each contact is one drawbar. For example, if you have all drawbars out but only press one key lightly, you're only gonna hear the sound of the 1' drawbar. Dig in more and you start hearing the other ones. This is the reason why you see guys like Keith Emerson playing this staccato percussive sound in some scenarios.

I don't remember which organ plugins emulate that, but that's also emulated on the digital organs Hammond makes. How they do it involve distributing that feature across different MIDI velocities.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 11:32 AM, PavlovsCat said:

I have the original version of SampleTron, but never updated to SampleTron 2 after picking up M-Tron Pro -- plus I have tons of Tron sample libraries for KONTAKT and UVI's Mello. Does anyone here who has SampleTron 2 and M-Tron Pro think it's worth picking up SampleTron 2? 

SampleTron 2 has a good sampling of classic sounds from Mellotrons, Chamberlins, Optigans and such, but doesn't offer the complete selection of original tapes.  

IK added a couple of unique free expansions.  The first is the Lost String Quartet which is a nice sounding string quartet including individual instruments.  The other is the Grunge expansion, which has some roughed up lo fi sounds.  Some of them sound like tron tapes run through the laundry, some are digital synths recorded on cheap cassettes.  

I don't know if M-Tron has the ability to import your own samples, but SampleTron 2 will allow you to do that.   In case you want to tronify something like a Casio synth.

If you have M-Tron Pro you probably don't need SampleTron 2, but it does have a few sounds you won't get from M-Tron.

Edited by Magic Russ
  • Like 2

Juneteenth?

I have nothing against what the day celebrate but I never heard of it being a federal holiday before .

So I must wait another day so that the post office will be open and I can cash the money order to buy the B3X,

...more waiting

Rockin'!

Installed and operating...

Of course I was also surprised as I constantly confuse ik and ni...

I've been using a very ancient NI B4 plugin for decades. I love it but it's 32bit so problems always...

The B3-X sounds great though I'm still trying to create my favorite Jon Lords patch. Drawbars are the easy part, but setting up the Leslie? Whew!

Anyone with pointers that might help would be appreciated...

...now back to Hammond-Land!

10 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Good news! Jon Lord didn't use a Leslie. Life just got simpler!

Ha! I knew he used an amp to get his volume up there with the guitars, but I thought he used both. I'm sure I saw Leslies (plural) stacked on stage with him...

But that may be the issue the particular sound I'm identifying with him is one that used either primarily or completely amp... Thanks bitflipper. I'll give it a try.

39 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Good news! Jon Lord didn't use a Leslie. Life just got simpler!

Thanks again bf...

Yeah! Now I'm getting it! Using both the british amp and the 147 amp/cab... Getting much closer to what I want... Well, at least for this particular patch! 😉

Fun plugin... Very fat and rich  sounding

10 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

There should be a bunch of Jon Lord presets since version 1.3 when Jordan Ruddess used B3-X live to perform with Deep Purple.

Hmmm. Maybe I didn't find that yet. The list of presets was fairly small. Maybe 20 entries at most? I didn't say anything with Rudess' name on it in that list either...

8 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

It should comes with those presets according to IK as part of the 1.3 update.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/hammondb3x/?p=presets

I did just find that the list is twice as long as I first thought, but I still don't see anything with his name on it. The only patch that I recognized by name to be related is the Smoke On The Water patch they offer....

I will look some more. Thanks for the leaders...

Ah, I think I get it. I believe his are labeled with JR.  I just found one along those lines called Space Truckin' V JR-DP

Edited by Keni

Much better...

Now that I see the whole list and have listened through them (I hadn't thought to go through them yet being so overwhelmed with the amount of control)...

Some very cool patches. Now I need to setup an expression pedal so I can add live control of volume/swells/etc. I know I've got a couple lying around...

Wow! What a beautiful sounding VSTi!

Edited by Keni
  • Like 3