What is one unique music of a movie you really like?

Linn Doan

7 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Now that's opening a treasure chest. I like Joe Hisashi's work on the Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki movies, although he used to have an unfortunate reliance on the General MIDI soundset.

One of my favorite pieces of music, period, is "Rei's Theme 1" from Neon Genesis: Evangelion.

Huge fan of his, too!

• Like 1

Didn't mention it because I was thinking more along the lines of orchestral scores, but Burn by The Cure from The Crow is very, very high on my list. Amazing song, incredible movie. I still get goosebumps 29 years later.

The whole soundtrack is arguably my favorite in the genre.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 2

On 5/30/2023 at 6:40 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Jerry Goldsmith's score for my favorite movie, L.A. Confidential, captures/enhances the mood so well. He taps into the collective pop culture memory of Dragnet with the tympani, strings and brass. I can't hear it without picturing Ed, Bud and Jack prowling the turn of the 50's. Bill Parker and the change from a small-town policing model to a high tech military model looms in the near future. Jerry was born and raised in Los Angeles and was in his 20's during the years depicted in the film. The ideal composer for the job:

Jerry is responsible for the haunting soundtrack of one of my favourites - Alien from 1979

The score encapsulates the horror, lonelieness and very unsettling nature of the entire film

Edited by Bristol_Jonesey
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, craigb said:

I've never seen that movie!  Should I someday? 

Read the book.
I was surprised to find it in my junior high library in 1971.
Some salacious scenes to stimulate a 14-year-old's senses. Ripe for banning in Boston.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have 3 mentions.

First is Ludovico Einaudi - Ritornare from the movie This is England. Great movie and it introduced me to the work of Einaudi which awakened my desire to re-learn the piano.

Second: The Emma scene from Fury by Steven Price. It has a slow tragic vibe mixed with a sense of urgency and buildup which perfectly matched the scene. Outstanding work.

Hearing the dialogue over it is an absolute tearjerker. John Bernthal is amazing and Brad Pitt in one of his lesser known roles. That muffled scream is insane...

And Bladerunner 2049 - Hans Zimmer - Sea Wall is right up my alley with all the synths, Gritty and beautiful. A modern classic as far as I'm concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

Rewatched Herzog's Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht yesterday and that's definitely one very particular soundtrack. Creepy to the point where it's difficult to say you like it but in terms of doing its job, it is phenomenal.

• 4 months later...