New monitors hunt.

Will.

Im hunting for new monitors. Im still running the Rokits 6 G3 model, but im looking for something with a more flatter frequency. Now heres where the headache starts for me when searching for a monitor. 

Do you prefer a Flat Frequency response OR do you prefer a Tonal Balance Monitor thats somewhat clinical. 

I've owned the M-Audio BX8a, the Alesis MKII Passives which I still have and for the past 7years the KRK Rokit 6 G3. I feel like I need something better. Something less deceptive.

What do you prefer in a Monitor? Great Image, AccurateTonal Balance, more Clinical or a flat frequency response? 

Edited by Will.

On 5/29/2023 at 8:37 AM, Will. said:

Im hunting for new monitors. Im still running the Rokits 6 G3 model, but im looking for something with a more flatter frequency. Now heres where the headache starts for me when searching for a monitor. 

Do you prefer a Flat Frequency response OR do you prefer a Tonal Balance Monitor thats somewhat clinical. 

I'e know owned M-Audio BX8a, the Alesis MKII Passives which I still have and for the past 7years the KRK Rokit 6 G3. I feel like I need something better. Something less deceptive. What do you prefer on a Monitor? Great Image, AccurateTonal Balance, more Clinical or a flat frequency response? 

Will, 

Take a look at these,  Frontier by Barefoot

https://barefootsound.com/frontier/

5 hours ago, jackson white said:

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86799

the openers noted here are all decent candidates, Kalis getting some buzz (the latest thing but no personal experience), use Focals all the time in a project studio, never got on with Adams (or NS10s)

Thanks  Jackson. I actually worked on the Adams A7V before. They are exceptionally good monitors. Little expensive for me. Im familiar with their little brothers the T7V which are really great monitors and extremely clinical. I might go for them now that you've pointed me in that direction.  I was leaning towards the Genelec 8010A, but now i might look into the Adam T7 twice cheaper than the A7V. 

1 hour ago, Will. said:

Hey Jesse. I've never workee on a Coaxial monitor before. I will hunt around to test them out for sure. 

Thanks. 

Will, 

The PreSonus Sceptre S6 abd S8 are Coaxial Monitors, you shoulc be able to find them in the music stores.   Also, certain Genelic Monitors are Coaxial as well.   The Frontiers are not found in the stores, but can be shipped out to you for a trial run and if you don't want to buy them, then you can ship them back.  Barefoot is one of the premiere monitors around, and at $1,399.00 / pair, that is saying something.  

I purchased a pair of these, and when I played back some of my old mixes, I could hear all of the mistakes.  😒

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Will. said:

the Adams A7V ... are exceptionally good monitors

no doubt. personally found them to be a bit fatiguing when pushing to get a mix done (same as NS10s) but only noting the difference after trying out the Focals, which were notably 'better' for midrange clarity and much easier to listen to for longer periods when working on dense arrangements of acoustic sounds.  btw talking the evo series as being a good bang for he buck, not their high end models.  iirc @bitflipper might have some perspective based on the most recent models.

NB all the comments in the link on room treatment ...

I've been using Focal Alpha 80 Evos for the past year. I'd always admired Focals but they were just too expensive. Then last year the amplifiers crapped out in my Emotivas (my all-time favorites, but sadly discontinued and no longer available) and I had to scramble to replace them without having money set aside in advance. Focal had just come out with this model and I hadn't heard them, but I trusted that Focal wouldn't risk their reputation by putting garbage on the market. And they were listed at an amazing price of $500 each. At a grand for the pair they'd be the cheapest monitors I'd ever bought.

Long story short, they are not impressive. They do the job, and I've become accustomed to them. But gosh, I miss folded-ribbon tweeters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Focal had just come out with this model ...they are not impressive.

interesting, hearing something similar from those who led me to the original version. they had started with the 50s, loved them, i picked up the 65s, nice improvement at the time, but for some reason the latest round has not "inspired" anyone to go for the 80s. heard some comments wrt to upper mids for heavier guitar oriented material, but haven't demo'd them so no clue if it's somehow related to size? newer design elements? or something else... 

I believe the enclosure is just too small to get the full benefit of 8" woofers. I got spoiled with my Emotivas, which had incredible low end. They were also much larger and heavier than the Focals. They also had more powerful (1KW x 2) amplifiers. The Focals start to distort at high volume. Of course, I don't mix at high volume, but do crank them when the band is in here learning a new cover song and we're listening to the original recordings for inspiration.

One thing I do like about the Focals is the wide sweet spot. My previous speakers, including the ADAM P11As that preceded the Emotivas, had folded ribbon tweeters. Those are exceptionally flat but laser-focused, requiring you to precisely triangulate on them with your ears to hear them properly. To anyone elsewhere in the room they sound dull. But you can't beat them for accuracy. I miss that.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 4:03 PM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Yamaha HS8.

I also have the HS8 Monitors and the clarity of the Frontier by Barefoot monitors are outstatding. I also have the KRK Rokit 5 and the older KRK V4,  which in my opinion soud better than the Rockit 5.

• 1 month later...

I liked my Adam T7V,  Adam 'T' series are bang for the buck.

They are designed for mixing/recording and reasonably 'flat'  with controls on back side to adjust low and high freq.

They have a ribbon tweater, so the high frequencies give you less fatique, they're 75 watt....plenty but still ok for a home studio.

They sound pleasant and Adam (Germany) are well built and customer support/warrenty in Germany is usually stellar.

There's 5 and 8 inch versions too.