see signal on VU meters and record

I was recently able to record a live guitar track, but I can't remember what the settings were, so I'm not able to reproduce it again. I  have opened a new project hoping to have default, un-altered settings. I have carefully followed forum suggestions (thank you, Lord Tim), and googled a number of terms to learn what they are doing. I deleted all ASIO and ASIO4ALL, and have selected WASAPI SHARED at 41,000. Cakewalk is confirmed up to date. I've been all through the EDIT>PREFERENCES looking for something  to complete the signal path.

I can hear my incoming instrument (acoustic guitar with  Fishman  pickup) with headphones  using the DIRECT switch on the Behringer UM2. But I don't see the level on the channel VU meters and it does not record. I want to hear track  1 played back while I record track 2.  (Not too much to ask, right?)

What I am missing? Thank you,  forum members.

How many threads are you going to start about this same topic. You have been given very clear advice on what your issue is. Your Audio interface is your problem.

If you hope to move forward and record any audio you ( as we all keep telling you) will need an audio interface with proper ASIO drivers, you have even received some excellent recommendations as in the Focusrite Solo would be a huge step up for possibly on a few more dollars than you paid for the Behringer. 

And I'm not sure if you have followed my Tutorials which would also clearly explain all these questions. 

We all would truly like to see you get this sorted out, that's what this forum is for. But starting threads and abandoning them and starting new threads is not going to work well here. 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7YqVth30eGt7K5L5fUIUF_UjCsdAVCbd

Edited by John Vere
  • Great Idea 1
  • Meh 1

20 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I don’t normally get too grumpy but this is at least the 5th thread about this.  Sort of waisting our time. 

I feel ya John. I'm guessing that you don't hang out in the Native Instruments forum. With the amount of redundancies over there, you would have lost at least a bakers dozen cookies by now.

😆

• Like 2

Update: I got a PM from the OP @Robert Hale  I will apologize for above statement but only to a point.  This is the internet and I'm allowed to get grumpy with people who don't follow through with being engaged in the threads they start when asking for help.  This is because I felt like  us "helpers" are being ignored.

All you need is one Thread.  Ask for help and you will get it. It often might take 3 pages to resolve issues but the folks here will keep trying  BUT- that is only when the poster remains actively involved.  We can see that you have actually visited the forum but for some reason did not respond to further questionsStarting new threads with different titles might fool a few people but many of us actually do pay attention. 

Seems where we left off in the other thread(s ) was the Behringer interface is one of the rare models available that does not come with ASIO drivers. This put you in a unique and awkward position.  

Our standard advice for people without Audio interfaces using Computers audio system is use WASAPI mode and do not attempt to record audio unless you are willing to adjust the timing offset. WASAPI is all you need for DAW playback and editing loops etc but needs to be manually synced so tracks will be in time.  

Recording audio, specifically the Overdubbing new tracks,  requires ASIO drivers which 99% of the audio interfaces available will have. You were just unlucky and bought that 1%. 

It seems you did watch my videos, so good, all this is covered as well as what you will do when you trade the Behringer for an interface that does come with ASIO. Your currant issues are directly related to drivers and basic understanding of how to record audio in Cakewalk. My videos as well as dozens of other excellent videos will help with that. And if you prefer to read the documentation is a very good way to learn just about anything about Cakewalk. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Meh 1

I accept your apology... up to a point.

John, all you needed to do was  remind me that the answers I am seeking are in your video series. That's all.  Grumpy is never justified. There is a lot of conflicting advice on this and other boards.

As for starting threads, I am new to forum protocol. It's not clear to a new member where, when, and how to navigate.  Teach kindly,  or be quuiet. If you cannot be courteous about the behavior of others, take a vacation. You are not the King of this tiny kingdom.

Compliment: your video series is excellent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Robert Hale said:

I accept your apology... up to a point.

John, all you needed to do was  remind me that the answers I am seeking are in your video series. That's all.  Grumpy is never justified. There is a lot of conflicting advice on this and other boards.

As for starting threads, I am new to forum protocol. It's not clear to a new member where, when, and how to navigate.  Teach kindly,  or be quuiet. If you cannot be courteous about the behavior of others, take a vacation. You are not the King of this tiny kingdom.

Compliment: your video series is excellent.

Here's a point...
Staying with one thread and not starting multiple threads about the same thing is a universal forum protocol, common in all forums, that way conflicting answers stay in one thread and you can maneuver through the sea of opinions.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

While I can't say for sure, my guess is purchasing anything in that price range is just going to swap out one piece of bad news for another.

If that is the budget, work with what you have until you can come up to at least a Focusrite Solo (assuming the I/O meets your requirements, I find a minimum of 4 ins is a must even for solo recording).

Regardless, the problem identified in the OP is a DAW routing problem that could happen with any interface.

Rather than rehash the past or reviewing the previous threads, let's start fresh with this thread, get the basic recording using one of the WASAPI modes. When a better interface is available, the benefits will be obvious.

To that end, please post your three Preference > Audio setup screens: Devices, Driver Settings and Playback and Recording..

A close-up image of the Guitar track header for the track to be recorded may help too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is the worlds most popular audio interface - and for good reason. It punches well above its weight for the price, and (AFAIK) is compatible with every DAW out there.

The 2i2 is now on it's 3rd generation.  I'm still using the 1st gen without issue.  Going second hand is always an option if your budget doesn't permit buying new, and you can even get refurbished 1st & 2nd gen interfaces direct from Focusrite.

I've got several Focusrite Scarlett models which I've had for a number of years now (18i20 in the studio, 18i8 for live recording, and the 6i6 and 2i2 in my office)  - none of them have let me down.  The preamps and quality is identical on all of the models, the only difference being the number of inputs/outputs.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

Thank you for guidance. I have done my homework: the two interfaces I posted confirm having ASIO drivers.  (There are no Focusrite refurbished under $100 right now.)  I thought more members  would evaluate the specs I submitted rather than dismiss by price. I'll just make my best guess,  buy it, and return if it doesn't perform. I will post the results and the forum will have the benefit of my experience. 

I think you’re right and I should shut up and stick to making videos. Just finished another a few minutes ago.
So thanks!  you just did me a big favour. Ah the things I can now do with the spare time I’ll have. 

Edited by John Vere

I bought a MIDIPLUS Smartface II https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4EBA40?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image for $38. Ad says "supports ASIO" but the link in the owner's manual is 404  not found. I googled around till I found the MIDIPLUS website and the ASIO download for windows 11. Next screen was a Google Drive message saying I did not have permission. Then, "ask for permission."  Just got an email from Hung Lee who said he will take my message "to his engineer." Waiting on that. Hmmm...

Edited by Robert Hale
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

Its an acronym that stands for availing oneself of the supplied documentation.

If you need to dig a little deeper it means Read the F********  manual its been around since the beginning of user forums for software and fixing your Truck.