Flying V

Sheens

4 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

The great Texas guitar player, Lonnie Mack had the first production V—serial number 5 and played it until he died.

k6gaqBZHHXSeQVtNQGVyhS-1920-80.jpg.webp

"So, avoid buying a V because it will kill you!!!!  Right??!" 😮
    ~ The thinking of youth now-a-days...

On 5/12/2023 at 10:44 AM, kennywtelejazz said:

The Great Blues Guitar Player Albert King ! who played his V  lefty w the strings upside down .

940829_1098253543526277_2006923271409492

Kenny

Our lead guitarist/vocalist all though high school (and a little beyond) in our cover band played a righty guitar as lefty so his "knobs" nad "jack" were not in the same place as Albert's.

When I worked in music stores  I used to practice and fool around playing lefty  guitars upside down as righties  .....mostly Strat style guitars

This was a fun little game I used to play and it used to relax me .

In I  do have it in the back of my mind to come across a lefty  guitar at the right price someday and play it upside down ......it's good practice !

Albert did have a good relationship with Flying V's  as his trademark instrument . His first flying V was a Gibson called Lucy in honor of I love Lucy which was stolen and later recovered .

His first 2 flying V's were stock right handed  Gibson's flipped over so all the knobs and stuff were in the wrong places . 

Here is the Wiki on Albert King's Flying V's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_(Albert_King_guitar) for anyone here who is interested 

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

On 5/12/2023 at 12:23 PM, Notes_Norton said:

The great Texas guitar player, Lonnie Mack had the first production V—serial number 5 and played it until he died.

k6gaqBZHHXSeQVtNQGVyhS-1920-80.jpg.webp

That album the he did with SRV is killer. If.you haven't listened to it you owe it to yourself to catch a few of the songs. If you listen to one song let it be "Stop". Killer song.. Killer!!

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1